DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever lost a fire poi while spinning? I'm a little worried about losing one of my homemades.

Any recomendations for how to eliminate the risk of chain snapping or anything else that could go wrong? What size chain is best to use?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

RoDuSmember
50 posts

Posted:
i seen a guy set a roof of a shed on fire with a home made staff.

I never used/made poi so i cant give you any building advise but what i can set is just stress test them when there are not on fire go as hard as you can.

good luck.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I accidently let go of one a few weeks ago for the first time, in clapham of all places. Was spinning far enough away from people to hit anyone, but did freak me out a bit. Problem is that I'm doing lots of throws now, and after catching i hafta wait for a stall to get my fingers back in the loop. Until then it's usually not a problem, cause i just hold the handle tightly, but when spinning fast with the handle coated in paraffin it just flew off.

As for chain snapping, welded chain won't snap from doing poi. If you arn't using welded chain then you're just asking for an accident, decorating chain is not designed to take any real load.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
If you arn't using welded chain then you're just asking for an accident, decorating chain is not designed to take any real load.
That's great advice on the chain, thanks. It's just stuff from B & Q and not welded or anything. Will thrash them as hard as poss first to see if they hold up. I've seen ball chain used but it looks like it'll last about one spin and scares me even more!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Ball chain is great if you realise it's limitations - with time, it will break.

But you can't use any old ball chain.

Make sure you have stuff that is strong enough, like the stuff they sell in the shop here, and replace your chains regularly. I replace mine after 6 months.

be safe

So much fire, so little body hair...

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
i think i need to replace my chain. they have little time spinning on them, ive broken them twice though; once while i was doing a burning spin off with white gas, then when i was doing my wrap sets. I dont like how i break through it so quick but my freind has a set using towing chain. i do not like those. VERY uncomfortable for doing wraps!

Power percieved is power achieved.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
perhaps we need to re-evaulate where we're at when poie go bye byes in the middle of a set.

i'm a fan of the notion that one shouldn't mess with fire unless one has mastered twirling fire equipment without mistakes.

To Run before you can walk is an invitation for pain and madness. And possibly soiled undies.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
i agree, a flaming wick into a son of an attorneys lap, or someone to drunk or otherwise to intoxicated to knock one out of their lap could be messy. i always make sure i am plenty far from people or buildings when me and my freinds spin. i check my gear constantly for wear and tear, esspecially the chains. i agree, with you completely!

Power percieved is power achieved.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Totally agree Bender, I practise quite alot with the fire poi unlit to get used to the chain/weight etc and haven't had any major impact accurances, I can spin for quite a while now without making any contact with myself. The reflex to avoid yourself soon kicks in! It is more the spectators I was worried about than myself.

I have stress tested to chain (well me and my mate grabbed an end each and pulled really hard) but because it torque power while it's spinning I don't know how much pull the chain will be inflicted with/able to resist. Even though a fire head is relatively light it's pretty damn heavy while it rotating.

I think if I buy the stuff here I should be safe though, and I suppose it's bound to be more suitable than hardware store chain!

Thanks for all the safety tips guys!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
welded chains are sometimes faulty, i had one break the first time i used my super poi (3 lots of wick seperated along a piece of pipe) the best way to make sure your chain is ok is with a yank test put a screwdriver in a vice, hook one end of the chain over it and put another screw driver in your hand and through the another end give it a couple of good hard yanks if its ok after that u know the welds are good. just make sure the vice is tight and that u pull the chain horizontal otherwise it may fling off at u

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

6,978 posts

Posted:
wow that yank test sounds more dangerous than just checking your passport!
wait a minute...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
beats having flying flaming poi land on u ......

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
someone should do a yank test on Geroge Bush..

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

6,978 posts

Posted:
well, not in front of the children you're not...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
am putting order in for fire equipment as no longer feel safe to make my own due to thoughts of George 'monkey boy' Bush performing a jerk test....any recommendations for what ends I should use? What are the differences? Monkey ball, cathedral ball, rope or wick etc etc.....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm no engineer, but surely doping a test like the TUG-O-WAR test (trying to keep it decent here) would put extra stress and possible metal fatigue on the links anyway...?

So by testing them, you may end up making them more likely to break?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
I'm no engineer, but surely doping a test like the TUG-O-WAR test (trying to keep it decent here) would put extra stress and possible metal fatigue on the links anyway...?

So by testing them, you may end up making them more likely to break?

That's just what I was thinking, it'd be a shame if during the testing you took them almost to breaking point, so they look ok but are just waiting to snap at the first hint of a spin.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
That's great advice on the chain, thanks. It's just stuff from B & Q and not welded or anything. Will thrash them as hard as poss first to see if they hold up. I've seen ball chain used but it looks like it'll last about one spin and scares me even more!

Don't know about B&Q, but most stores (inc Homebase) have a weight rating on each chain they sell which they are guaranteed to hold. I'm not sure you could sue them if they break at that, but its worth getting one which has been tested to well beyond (10x?) the weight you will use (and remember the weight whilst spinning not stationary). By all means do your own testing afterwards, but personally i wouldn't trust my home brew tests before spinning fire, because i'm not a trained mechanical engineer.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm with Charles on this one, if I put stress on them like a tug-o-war (again with the Bush references!!) I might take them past the limit they need to spin at and thus risk reducing their capability.
I will purchase some I think and then will know what I have to match when I make the next lot.

If only rope didn't burn........now that's got me thinkin!! how can I fire proof rope?!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
mmmm.....now they look enticing!! Anychance we could get some here please?.....pretty please?!!?!! They'd look great in the shop you know!!