Forums > Technical Discussion > how to thread a metal rod thru kevlar rope, please?

Login/Join to Participate

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
ok, kev rope experts,

help! please

can a 4-1/2 mm/ 3/16 inch diameter iron rod 4 almost 1-1/3m/ 4 feet long be inserted through the center of kevlar rope all the way so that the rope becomes the sheath of the rod?

how dense is the center of kev rope, haven't worked with it much, especially through its core, or are the fibers able to be pierced through their possibly twisted bundle lengthwise?

wanna see if kev rope is the solution to sheathing rods as wicking to make fire fencing foils, likely as soon as the next 2 days.

with happy expectation of your loving expertise,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Mike
that prob wont work unless you buy hollow rope they make rope that is braided without a center and even then it is hard to fish a rod through it...The people I get my wicking from sell kevler sleeves for slipping over pipe and such I have never priced the stuff but I can if you want .And i dont know if it is pure kevlar or not.. so only God knows how it will hold fuel
you might want to check on ebay i saw these kevlar welding arm protecters they might work great for wraping a foil in and they were only like 9 bucks for a pair hope this helps.if Riz

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
so Riz,

do we know who sells hollow rope?

sleeves you can get, sound not very padded (with kev, cotton, fiberglas, whateva) so not so likely to hold fuel, & stuffing this down a 3 to 4 foot length would be murder or take 3 months with eyebrow tweakerz, yuh? do take a 2nd look for me, wouldya, see if it's at all likely.

welding arm protectors? hmm, i'll look in a bit.

my alternative is the same 2" x 1/8" good heavy poi-grade ribbon i used in a real rough first test, just fold over & maybe stuff with... oh, an inner ribbon of kev or even inner denim.

so anyone ever get kev rope to thread over a rod?

~ Mikie

[ 13. December 2002, 11:46: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Mike, you could try getting three ropes and braiding it around the central rod. Do it tight enought and it will look pretty sheathy. And I'm certain there are other more intricates kinds of weaves out there you could use, ones that are tighter and use more ropes (which means you can use a smaller diamter of rope). Not sure what you'd have to do a search for to find info on it, tho.

Anyone take basketweaving at school?

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Paddy
That is a great idea..braiding the foil like a whip with thin kevlar wicking that way you would know it will hold alot of fuel..Even better just get some two inch wicking and expoy it to the foil then roll it up real tight and sew it toghter with kevlar thread..That is how I make my staffs and transfere wands so far it that works great out of about 100 wands I have only had two wicks come off...no one is perfect..
As far as were to buy hollow braid rope I have no clue..I found some 3/16 hollow braid rope but it is pure kevlar and dosent hold fuel worth a crap and i think that is about all you will find in a hollow braid seems the fire rope i have seen the core is cotton and glass
with the outer braid being kevlar...

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
err I did macramee at school.. if you want to weave rope around a rod you are best off starting off with at least 4 sections of rope and brade it.. did you ever o finger kniting with a cotton real and 4 nails banged in the top?? Kinda like that..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I bought some cotton rope for my fire eatting torches. It's basicly a weave of cotton threads around a core which is fluffy cotton like in cotton balls, It may be possible to put a rod through the fluffy middle. Now cotton doesn't last very long so you will have to replace it frequently but this stuff is dirt cheap. I bought a metre for 1 dollar canadian which is like 65 cents american.

But it may be to much work replacing the cotton rope so often that you won't want to do it. Id suggest trying it once to see how hard it is.

PS-I forgot to mention I found the cotton rope at a craft/fabric supply store.

[ 14. December 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Astar ]

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
for beta test, used 2" x 1/8" kev ribbon i already had around, longwise down the rod, stuffed some denim strips inside it, sewed with metal hobby wire. so put Astar's cotton inside Riz's kev tube though hand-closed.

didn't time, but lasts a satisfying burn for now. too wobbly/springy for serious duel, but have dueled twice, love to give one to a virgin, and floppyish fun as is.

so weirdish a twang to them, stuck 1 then 2 between my legs from in front, bending over, wiggling them while dancing backwards, got arty-Ubu Roi if you know it symbolic French play-side show audience response. also like a certain bird-legged bent over eggy kinda creature from a painting, now i mention art, from surrealist from centuries ago, Hieronymous Bosch.

gotta learn to finger-twirl them as a pair, one in each hand, more than wrist, with thinnish wooden handles, and at their weight & unweildy length, no doubt slowly build up new muscles in fingers for it.just hands on sides at about my head level, & first passes at crossovers & horizontalish spin around head.

had found in not even sewn alpha test that diagonal wrap with overlap the kev ribbon buckled & wouldn't get even much less tight at all.

braiding 4 ropes interesting, Miss Stix & Paddy; for sure 3 wouldn't likely fully cover the foil's metal rod core, though love triskelions & other 3-armed designs & knots & ropes. will have to try that on something. like to see how spongy it is, if we find the right tight/looseness of braiding & knotting. also would like to see big monkey fist knot on fire suddenly!

anyone stumble on second-hand foils, epees for virtually nothing, send the opportunity my way!

or maybe gotta see if Raphael96 dispatches a pair of opponents so well they no longer need their weapons in their...next life

with all my love,

~ Mikie

[ 22. December 2002, 03:22: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Why not just LOTS of kevlar string? It might even be cheaper to do three layers of 1/4" sring than one of rope.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Walking_Corpsemember
6 posts

Posted:
use climber's rope cause it's a braided outer sheath around a solid rope core - should be easy enuf to take out the inner core and replace it with wire... just go ask at your local climbing equipment and camping goods store... hope this helps... had to do it myself but with steel cables instead of wire to hold summat up....

In order to preserve our sanity during the day, we must go insane every night...