DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Hey guys I'm curious about something - Every one of us has probably at one point taught someone else how to do a trick with poi, held a practice session, etc. What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any cool techniques or exercises they put their students through?

Like for example, the group I'm fortunate enough to learn from like to play a game called "follow the leader" where the spinners are in a circle and one member leads in different techniques while the others mimic the moves. After their turn, the next person leads, etc. I like it, and having several people around me to demonstrate moves is good because some are easier for me to follow through certain moves than others (easier to track their motions, etc).

Does anyone have any special ways they practice the poi, either alone or with groups?

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i'm too new myself, but would love to have teaching methods like Brody's asking about so our crew can indoctrinate the innocent at gatherings i'm helping organize

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
When I was teaching some friends to do the weave and the butterfly, I'd show them myself, spinning as slowly as possible and describe the move each hand is doing, then get them to have a go.

If they didn't lok like they were getting what I meant, then I'd give them my clubs, and walk them through the movements at a pace they're comfortable with, then give them back the poi and tell them to do the same thing.

It kind of worked, they're no-where near fluid, but that'll come with practise.
Using the clubs certainly helped explain the weave though.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
for teaching myself i just try to think in circles and make my transitions smoother (and hope not to hit myself in the nuts)..also, watching kung fu movies with weapons fights in slow mo is a good way to learn little somersaults or kicks or whatnot

when teaching someone staff ive found its easiest to have a different color on each end so you can say "ok watch the black end, it'll go past your head three times and then do this..."

or when im teaching a few people something, once someone has got a grasp of it i make them explain it more to the rest of the group...i think thats called peer tutoring or something...it reinforces it to them and they also may be able to use slightly different terms to explain it to the others

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've successfully taught one-and-a-half people how to spin. Basically, I try to teach them the butterfly, the forward two-beat, the corkscrew, and the windmill. After that, it's up to them to figure everything else out.

My technique is to use flags, since I think that flags are easier than poi. And I don't mean flags with a swivel on them, I mean straight flags as described on the Centrifugal Force website.

Once you have that down, it's a small and simple step to poi. And then, it's just practice, practice, practice.

But I do know that people here teach poi classes where people learn these arts a lot faster than I do, and I'd be curious to know about their techniques. Heck, I'd love to take a class one day just to see how they do it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ill second the different colored heads of the staff, its an excellent technique...

also, i try to make the people i teach go as slowly as possible, and do it with one hand at a time first, before they even get to try two at once...

more often than not theyll get the motions with their strong hand, get all happy, pick up both poi and proceed to batter themselves senseless as their stupid hand flails about wildly...

patience is the ain key though, never ever let your students get frustrated or angry, just tell em to keep going, that theyre picking it up faster than you did, amuse them with some painful anecdotes about your own learning experiences, and if youre really cocky say all you gotta do is practice and then you can do this, and then perform some kick ass move that will make their jaw drop...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
the girl who i first spun with showed me the giant windmill/regular windmill combo....i couldnt work it out for the life of me...that one was damn impressive...

of course now its second nature

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
having been a student under the aforementioned different coloured staff heads technique, i'm gonna put my vote in for it as well.

there is someone in my local practice group who is an excellant teacher. he was teaching a ton of people basic stuff at an absolutly amazing rate this past saturday night in between burns. we had two or three sets of poi floating around for kids and adults to practice with and it was really cool to watch. so i'll ask him some of what he does.

a good trick i learned from him though is to say what the move is like that they already know how to do. if they have any sort of chase move, you can relate any other chase move to it. same with butterfly moves. it makes them happy

'course, that doesn't help with total beginers.

Kyri's babbling again isn't she?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
mikeginny how do you teach half-a-person to spin?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Awshuamember
8 posts

Posted:
I have taught a few friends poi now, and I find the best way is to show them the move from the front so they can see where their hands should go. Then I have them follow me as I do the move, with me in front of them and them facing my back. This way they are not trying to do the mirror my movements and can just follow along.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
colourful terminology that charles uses helps them visualise when i tell them to mimic me. also samiliar tricks are taught together. emphasise fun and never ever brag when you shoul d be teaching. it's very off putting.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrian:
mikeginny how do you teach half-a-person to spin?
With one flag, silly!

No, I taught him a bit of stuff, but he seems to have given up on the idea for now.

I figure that once I have taught someone the butterfly, the three weave planes, and the alternating butterfly, my work is done. And then they can just watch me and pick up more advanced moves the same way I did.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
In my experience in teaching basic poi moves i have found it very beneficial to start out with the basic jump rope move. Its easy enough to mirror and plenty of people are familiar with that motion. Some even start jumping over an imaginarey rope and i have them try both directions to get the feel. Nows when i get into hold your palms to the ground for forward and up to the sky for backwards. seems trivial but will help in not getting tangled later.

So then i get into hugging yourself or crossing the the poi. Very easy to mirror. And when they accomplish this simple feat you get to watch their faces light up. You can explain its just like when jump roping.

Of course they're really excited to get into the cross over cause it looks so good. One hand at a time i have my students cross the poi over their body "like a ninja". the older folks love it! Back to jump roping once they're comfortable with ninja crosses except now they turn the basic jump roping into double dutch. a lot of people will know what you speak of and if they don't just explain its half beat and show them. as you demonstrate just show one hand crossing and put words to the rythem "and cross it over". slowly introduce the other hand into it. we all know this one can take some time but i've seen an 8 year old and a 50 year old get the move in a half hour! if your student is still a little stuck go right up behind them and grabs their hands. put them through the motion doing it for them. once they feel it they usually get it. (maybe their really cute too!)

To teach the windmill start with the cork screw. a fun little diddy that i came up with for this one goes as follows. Stand with both arms extended in front of you. Get the poi moving in a circlular pattern in the same direction and speed and say "i'm stirring and stirring my brew" (like you're a witch stirring your couldren) have your students follow your lead. when they're down with that you're going to throw in a "Whew Hoo" as you bring both poi over your head and back down. so then just have them repeat it a couple times. "I'm stirring and stirring my brew, Whew Hoo". Introduce the aspect of poi chasing one another and they'll get the corkscrew. show them the windmill and let them know all they have to do is bring it more vertical and they got the windmill.

i hope this was helpful i'm much better in person. all i know from experience is that it is easier for most people to learn to words/songs. That way when they're practicing by themselves they have something to go by. show them a move and give them PLENTY of time to play with that move before throwing more things at them. They'll come to you when they are ready for more or are stumped. don't stop spinning yourself give your students a constant supply of inspiration and reference. A good thing to do is really exagerate your motions when teaching, bigger is better when trying to see what is going on.

so lastly i'm in northern New Jersey. I work nights so most days i am available if anyone round here wants to see my teaching techniques first hand and throw me a bone for some new moves also.

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!