NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In another thread my buds asked me to post my recipe for my leather bracers. I was hesitant to give away my secrets until I realized that I had taken every wrap I do from them... winkThe first thing I did was buy (as Adamrice had suggested) some welding sleeves. They were around $25 US but is treated with special stuff to make them VERY fire resistant. I also wear a pair of welding gloves ($6-10) which I keep raving about but I can really pick up a burning poi and hold it indefinately, or snuff it out if I want.Then I decided to make my own. Props to my buddy Cindy for the help. Basically I cut a parallelogram shaped piece of leather for my forearm and another for my bicep. I left about an inch or less of space between sides when I wrap it around my arm. I then used gromets about every inch up the inside of my forearm and up under my armpit. I laced both pieces together with a long 72" shoe lace. I then repeated for the other arm. So I had a piece of leather laced on my forearm and one laced on my bicep laced all the way up the inside of my arm with a single length of thread thereby holding them to eachother.The problem of the gap between the stitching and more importantly the gap between both pieces (the elbow) was still a problem until Cindy suggested to just put a black sock on under the whole thing (cutting a hole in the toes and putting it on "upside down")It's a chore to put on: Black sock, lace up forearm, lace up bicep. But I got MANY compliments on them.Next time I'm gonna use better leather and take more time measuring my arm to make straighter cuts. This one was basically a first draft that turned out much better than I thought.With my bracers on and welding gloves a friend of mine asked: "Hey dude, where's your falcon?" I couldn't stop laughing for quite a while...I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarification. If I ever get off my butt I'll take a photo and email it to anyone who wants a better look...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC, get off your butt : I don't just want a picture, I want a whole demonstration. smile(still thinking that you could have tried a bit harder to do wraps on bare skin wink )Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
NYC--For version 2, it might make sense to try something like this:Start with a piece of leather that will cover a circumference about 6 inches (guessing) bigger than your arm. Sew it into a loop. Pinch a couple of folds into it so you have sort of a horseshoe-in-a-horseshoe shape. Install the grommets at the pinches. Does that make sense? This way you won't need to mess with socks to cover the lacing gap.If you don't want to sew it into a loop, you could get away with just pinching a flap of excess from one side, and making sure that lies flat under the lacing when you put the cuff on.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I just did a "beautiful" (?) ASCII diagram of adamrice's horseshoe thing and it didn't like being displayed in a non-fixed width font.----XX-,#,-XX-----####XX/###\XX###/#########\###\#########/####\_______/so if you are also bored you can copy this into something using a fixed width font (eg courier) and replace the #'s with a space- that is if you really care about it!Ok, ok I'm going to bed now..... grin[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 23 November 2001).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I tried to reprint it here with a UBB Code tag.
code:
----XX-, ,-XX----- XX/ \XX / \ \ / \_______/
------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Hi NYC,instead of using a sock, try sewing a gusset to one side of the leather. The gusset (a strip of leather) is sewn on the left, behind the grommets. When you lace up, the gusset should extend from the left side underneath the grommets on both sides with the lacing over the top.Another idea (instead of grommets) is using hooks. You should be able to find them in leather-working stores/catalogs for not a lot of money. I use these on an arm brace for archery and they haven't failed in over 5 years.Sabine

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh, ( a little off-topic) now I understand how you can very confidently do fire in night clubs and things.I'm taking the above description to mean there is no chance at all of accidently letting go of the poi's, no matter what.(suddenly the whole world make a lot more sense...) grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Charles--I don't think so. NYC just made arm-guards so that he could do arm wraps with impunity. Doesn't do anything to retain your poi on your hands.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
NYC, I hate to be an ass, but you have mentioned this several times now, and although I will probably never meet you, and it doesn't matter much anyway, you should give credit where credit is due.Go to a welder's supply store like a Sunox or a Holox or National Welders. They will have burn resistant sleeves for sale for about $6 a pair that you can use. They come in a light shade of green, but I'm sure that you could dye them or color them according to taste. They are only tubes of a special fabric with elastic at both ends. For a little bit of a cooler look, you could spend around $40-$60 and splurge for a leather half vest. It looks like someone took a leather jacket and cut it off about 6 inches under the chin, so it falls about mid-chest. This one would probably be easier to look good in, but the leather might slow you up until you get it broken in to your specific range of movement. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.PLUR(RE) ---J--- You don't have to reply, I just wanted to set the record straight. No hard feelings???------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WORD, WORD, WORD. My bad. I apologize. I take NO credit for ANY of the originality of ANYTHING that I do related to poi. A while ago I posted a "help me" thread to come up with my arm bracers. Many people posted suggestions which I took and copied to make what I have now.To set the record straight: I have never had an original poi thought in my life. I honestly beg borrow and steal every trick, wrap, combo, outfit, wick design, chain design, strap design from this site and my fire buddies in NYC. (Sounds like me being sarcastic again, but it's true...)I only posted this thread because a few of the guys asked me to.I regret any implication or suggestion that any of these ideas were mine. I certainly would have given credit but was too stupid to remember who said what and too lazy to look at the original post...Again, my bad.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
trick I learned from my friend the costumer...if you make the bracers as trapezoidal shapes, they will fit better if you make the parallel sides curved, so that they will fit a 'cone' shaped arm, and have the sides come togethers perfectly vertically and not have an odd point on the longer side end. The curve should be convex (outward) on the long side and concave on the short side...if that makes any sense? it doesnt have to be a big curve, for the cuffs on my pants to fit around my ankle the depth of the curve, if you will, was only about 1" different off the horizontal.Peregrine (a falcon!)

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
much obliged NYC, this is exactly what i was looking for. should look pretty sexy yeah?

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sexy, hells yeah. At least that's what the guy at the last party I spun at kept saying. He kept touching them and telling me how sexy they looked. Too bad I'm straight because he was kinda hot... wink I'm sure they'd look even sexier on you though Poz... smileAs for the space between the seam, I kinda liked having them lace up like shoes. It gave it a cool look.Also, leather isn't strechy enough to tightly cover the elbow. That's why I went with the sock thing.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
NYC,Instead of using a sock to fill the gaps in the elbow, you might want to try using some really thin neoprene. You could glue or sew it to the inside of the leather and would be able to pull the braces over your arms in one piece.