Forums > Technical Discussion > First fire show.. need some suggestions!!

Login/Join to Participate

Christina aka Str0bemember
19 posts

Posted:
ok, i know i'm going to get some slack for not doing a search, but i want my questions answered specifically, so im sorry if im repeating posts.. im gunna be doing my first fire twirling show this weekend and would like a little bit of advice on a couple things..typically i use towel wicks(wrapped very tightly around pliable metal) but sometimes they start to smolder or even fall apart. anyone have a better suggestion for material or how to make them?for fuel.. typically when practicing i use ********, i know i know, not the safest thing in the world but the burn is so aggressive!! so ive tried the lamp oil thing.. its alright but the burns seem to last to long (where the wick starts to smolder) and its very mellow! any advice on a better fuel? or maybe im applying it wrong? (i allow the wicks to soak for like 3 minutes and dip them in gas for a quick ignite) any advice would be much appreciated!! thanks!(sorry - had to take out the dangerous word there coz there are a lot of kids and low-intelligence adults who aren't as responsible as us - have a look at https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001256.html
for more info -Charles email= newdolbel@hotmail.com)[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12 October 2001).]

19 posts

Posted:
oh, and when i say "the wicks start to fall apart" its like peieces will start to come off, but they dont unravel alot or anything, just to clear that up.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Don't use ****** . It's important, so I'll say it again: Don't use *****. Do a search on "*******", you'll get an earful.I always use lamp oil--I like the fact that it gives a longer burn. If you don't, then pick up some Coleman fuel, which burns relatively hot, bright, and fast. You can get this anywhere that sells camping gear. I've seen it at Wal-Mart, hardware stores, etc.Whenever soaking a new wick, it's a good idea to let it soak for a pretty long time. I'm not sure if 3 minutes is enough to soak it through. Then again, if you don't want long burns, there's no point in getting more fuel in there.Pele, a frequent contributor here, uses towel wicks, and coats them with Elmer's Glue--do a search on that, you'll get some hits.[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12 October 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Kevlar wicks (check the 'make poi' section on this site, or try www.incendium.org).You use petrol?! You are nuts. That is volatile stuff, my friend. If you had done a search you would have seen a lot of posts along the lines of 'I tried using gasoline, and am still alive (just), only suffered third degree burns...etc etc.'I use paraffin/kerosene. A lot of people use a mixture of lamp oil and kero (50/50 I think).As for the smouldering, blow them out when the flames are 2 inches high (Malcolm's sound advice).For soaking, I prefer to keep my wick permanently soaked. You can just soak them for about 20 seconds (or until they are saturated) before you burn.I would strongly recommend reading the safety section of this site and others in the links to other sites section. If you are doing a 'fire show' it is not only your safety you need to think of.Take care,FP

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hi Strobe. Thanks for your understanding on everyone focussing on your fuel rather than your questions... smileAnd CONGRATS on your first show (yay you, wahoo, loud cheering from everyone on HoP!) grin grin grinAs to your wicks, I think using fuel with a much lower burning temperature, such as kero or lamp oil, they will last much longer and not degrade so quickly.Also, to make them easier to light, try dipping in Colemans or "white gas" after soaking in the safer fuels. Colemans has a low flashpoint and makes other fuels easy enough to light in performance setting, but using it as a main fuel can have disadvantages.Remember that even what you may consider "small flames" will look big and dangerous to the audience, if you don't want them lasting for a long time, just dunk them very quickly.Please be aware that the lower temp fuels allow for more mistakes and even have a margin of error if the public or event oprganisers do stupid things when you aren't looking, a whole tin of colemans or the other stuff is likely to really hurt anyone who gets too close...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12 October 2001).][This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hi,I know a whole bunch of performers that use petrol and shellite mixed. They're islanders who spin crazy toys. But anyway, I was watching a news bulletin maybe a year ago and I remember seeing this interesting fact. In Indonesia in some camp (I think it was an army camp), they were using kerosene for their lamps. Someone accidentally mixed lamp oil with the kerosene (after refilling a lamp) and it exploded and started a fire. I kid you not...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

19 posts

Posted:
thanks to all for your responses. ill be testing some stuff out tongiht. thanks again!!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I think if you are doing a performance its important to be professional. I know if i went to a fire show and the performer was usig towelling as wick and that kept breaking apart id think twice about seeing them again ... also have the think about audience and the dangers involved with the fule you use and the flying bits of burning towel.As Charles has mentioned in other posts its important to keep the professionalism as fire twirling needs to keep a good name, and not be labelled dangerous.If you are planning on performing frequently, then i think getting good equipment is essential.------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -