Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Poi and Staff workshops in Spitalfields Market EC1 London

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
SpacemonkEmember
25 posts

Posted:
----------- Spinning@... Update -----------

Dear all

we have moved to a new location.... se here for the new treead

[Old link]

see you at the rag factory..

this is why we have moved...

We had discussions in the pub on Tuesday regarding the use of the market for spinning@spitz and thanks to friends we have a much clearer idea of what’s going on:

Unfortunately we are not allowed back into the market for our workshops. It seems that while we have been out the market for the work, there has been a change of management. The new management appears to want to “increase the value” of the market area (gentrification is the term being used). This has led to many of the existing tenants not being invited to re enter the market, our selves included.

The st’georges residents association would have had no idea we would not be allowed back in, so although annoying its not their fault. We still have contacts in the market and we don’t want to cut out any future possibility of re-entering the market at a later date by kicking up a fuss, especially when there is no chance at all of us using the space in the current climate.

We need to do 2 things… 1. Find a temporary place to play ASAP… (see top) and 2. Find a permanent new home… to help us move forward we need your help. Please think of the people around you, be it your parents, friends, colleagues etc and see if there is anyone who may be able to finds us a new home… put the feelers out there.

If you find somewhere that fits our criteria (see below) then please get a contact name, a number or email and if appropriate, have a brief chat with them as a recommendation or personal contact makes a huge difference. If they are interested, forward their details to me and I will then chase it up.

We require an indoor or covered outdoor area with adequate lighting able to house up to 100 people on a Tuesday evening within 10mins from a tube and centrally located. We also require power to run a portable stereo.

On another note we have decided to have a Xmas party to raise some funds to help us secure a new spinning@..... ‘s venue. The confirmed date is Thursday 20th December in a Brixton from about 7.30 pm to 1 am. More details to follow.

Hopefully we will get sorted very soon and in the meantime we will meet at the poet next week and maybe look at ice skating, bowling or something else there after.

Huge hugs

Kev and the guys at spinning@.... ‘s

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

EDITED_BY: Dom (1208047279)

Perspective allows us to live in a world of incomprehensible possibility, simply by blinding us to almost all of it… We’re not horses, yet we all wear blinkers...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh not today... it's a week long course. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I think I'm going to be there.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That was fun kids, Thanks! biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ok, my dedication is proved - i didn't make it.

funily enough, i didn't go cos i fell asleep in finsbury circus!!!!!!

oh the irony...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i'm coming up tomorrow! biggrin who's with me?

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*raises arm*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
can i come? or can i come nxt week, ucof are you going nxt week?

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i might be going this week.

and probably next week too biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
man i love spitz ubblove. was great to meet everyone i hadn't already (and those i had), thanks for a lovely night guys. hug i'll most probably be down next week as well now!

did anyone see the suit and his mrs playing at staff with fairie ben? classic...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
ahhh i come into home of poi for the first time in ages & read 1 page of the spits page and how it made me smile biggrin

thinking about seeing all you guys again almost (and i say almost) makes me look forward to coming back to soggy old england!

really really sad to have missed you nyc, as i said at the time of you planning you UK trip. i guess you´ll have to come again for faery em hugs (hint)

well enjoy summer for me as i´m (stupidly perhaps) in another winter

MASSIVE hugs to all grouphug

and i´ll see you in september

wave peace hug
em
xxx

(and is it just me and the fact i´ve rarely been on or does home of poi keep changing!?)

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Miss U Fairy Em.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
think im gonna come down today smile hugs
coz if i dont im gonna get in trouble with Lolli .... and ive seen her dark side...... eek
smile
smile
smile
hug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
me too smile

i think.

hug ya later...

but i don't believe for one second that lolli has a darkside. umm

its a push to imagine her with even a slightly shadowy side... wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, this is going to sound like the lamest excuse ever...

But

I was going to come today (especially to Mr Mech) but I have no toys.
At all.

Not a single CJ ball, no poi, no staffs and no rope dart.

I have no idea what to do with myself - I packed them all into a Landy after the Glade and won't be seeing them again until Thursday - which is a little odd. Haven't been toyless for about 3 years frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
less of a lame excuse and more like the perfect excuse:

to hold a glides and liquid workshop! ubbangel

plus, i know some people there that have poi and sticks so you could probably borrow some for the rest of the evening... wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
a ha
ha
ha

If only I was anywhere near good enough to do that - I'd be more than happy, but I think it would be a case of the "lame leading the lame"

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
call me stoopid durbs but if you're toyless then surely the best place to go would be somewhere with lots of toys? umm i'll lend you something if you come... smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol fair enough man.

although thinking about it, tell me you've never seen a complete newbie teaching another one a 3bt weave... wink

and, at the risk of not giving any constructive criticism whatsoever - i loved your video.

inspirational throughout, beautiful in parts (the back glide/hand walk above your head combo thing especially) and it had something special i'd personally like to see more of in videos - matching t-shirt and tunes biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, I in that case I can do a Placebo and erm...*cough*Bush*cough* one.

But probably won't as I don't really like Bush, but I thought as I'd invaded their stage, I should buy a t-shirt.

I was drunk

OK, I'll see what I can do - I don't really want to come up on my own - p'raps MIss Paraffin Fairy would like to come up?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im sorry guys, but i cant make it tonight!

i was going to cometo get away from a huge family thing thats hot my faily, but i figuure its better to stay and face it than run away!

im really sorr to you all, and hope to be down nxt week instead!

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hug sunny hug

you rock mr step smile

see ya next week dude.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole either you have just called my craggy, grey and hard, or you have just called me heavy and large eitrher way..

i will hurt you with a large trout the nxt time i see you now....HONOUR MUST BE MINE AGAIN SIR!

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
not a rock

you rock - like this:

Non-Https Image Link

and if you're trying to hurt me, may i recommend halibut over trout - they tend to be firmer and survive use as a flail for far longer.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bass are nasty - they've got spines on them.

No show for me too tonight, will wait until next week when I have:-
~ Toys
~ Motivation
~ Mech to see

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
list you! "mister coleman"

ill hit you with what ever fish or fish based object i feel fit, obviously you have never been in the position if being slapped about with a wet trout!

if i feel the need to hit you with a trout, i will, if i hot you with a whale, ill hit you with a whale!

you will take it and you will like it!

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
durbs- you're lame tongue

mech- so are you. and you smell of fish. tongue

cole- you also smell of fish but was good to see you man. hug thanks for the juggle tips!

everyone else- quality. you're all lovely! grouphug

on a slightly blue-er note i think i've lost my 5th juggling ball. frown this means to continue the 5 ball practice i'm gonna have to plunder my sock poi.... it's gonna have to be a question of priorities!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
but the weights in your socks don't have to be juggling balls - raid the larder! Now I've solved that problem I'll suggest to solve the problem of losing your jugglingballs you put them on some string to keep them handy. Viola!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Hello people!

I be coming to spitz! (Hopefully - if I can blag a lift back from the EJC in time)

Woooo! Hopefully on the 3rd of August! Yay! I can meet london people! Erm, so apart from that... I don't have much to say... But is it best to get a train to liverpool street or a tube to moorgate (or another closer tube station) it's quite hard to tell from streetmap.co.uk and I don't want to fanny around with surface trains if I don't have to, I prefer to be like the quiet mole that pops out of the tunnel station.

And obviously, everybody has to be there, even if I'm not that good at anything, apart from AI.

biggrin hug ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'll be there!

I planned to leave London early on Weds just so I could hit up Spitz... and hang a bit with the Londonium Krew.

Oh wait... it's Meg? Um... I think they moved it to somewhere very far away that day [I'm kidding] yes, meg, it's very far away [no it's not] you should take a bus as far away from spitz as you can [but everyone else should meet there] and if you don't see anyone very far away it's because they're hiding [actually, they're all at spitz] Keep looking. tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
WTF?

Did you have some bad experience with finding spitz? Or are your jokes just bizarre? ( :P ) I really can't tell.

How did you get to spitz? Please tell me!!!!

hug biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: ......