Page:
ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
sooo...this came out of the cross-continent thread, and some other whacked out ideas...but:i have 150 acres, a river, and a big house in vermont. it's the perfect place for a spin party. we have fire parties almost every weekend already among the 6 of us who spin together, so hey - what's 20 more or so? wink i think we could accomodate about 30 before it got really cramped...spinning in the snow is a total trip, and removes a LOT of the safety concerns, so personally i'm all for doing it before spring. also, that will be better for pele and others who will start faire performing then...so...anyone agree? smile-katja

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think it s a fabulous idea...though I think for travels sake early spring might be easiest. Faire for me doesn't truly kick into high gear until May. April is filling but I can schedule a weekend away if everyone else can pinpoint a weekend...this would be fabulous!!!I also want to thank you for your incredible trust and generosity to offer to open your property to us. How truly wonderful of you!!!! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
and kj makes a kick-ass meatloaf too if youre not vegetarian smilePeregrine

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
nope - i eat anything! (though we can make food for the whole spectrum). and...i *love* meatloaf - *such* a meat and potatoes girl!anyway...as for generosity, i have this secret desire to run a b&b! wink

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
hey, count me in! i'm down here in MD but plane fare's cheap this time of year!Have poi, will travel!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
nono....i meant you ykaterina, make a darn good meatloaf smile having been up there to have it dontcha know...and yes it is good twirling in the snow.and if we have this thing i will feel obliged to practice more in my ice covered parkinglot since all of you guys are going to just run off ahead of me!Peregrinektbirdgirl

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
oh! *smack forhead* sorry, pere - i didn't know you'd registered here! swank! protozoa - the nearest airport is either west lebanon NH or burlington VT - we'll pick you up!!anyone wanna arbitrarily pick a date? perhaps the first weekend in april? pele, let's work off your schedule...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so my schedule for April is as follows...First weekend 4th-5th, I attend a wedding and teach theater classesSecond weekend 14th-15th, EasterFamily thing (which if I could get out of it I would)Third Weekend 21st-22nd, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!Fourth Weekend 28th-29th, PerformancesAccording to my book, the third weekend is best so I am arbitrarily throwing that date out there. But that is selfish so....what does anyone and everyone else think? grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Oh, waow, wouldn't that be awesome to have an east coast spin party.... I'm in for any weekend in April. If Pele's schedule only allows the 3rd weekend, let's go for that!Where is your house in Vermont?Thanks so much for that opportunity.

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
third weekend of april it is!i live in east randolph, which is easy to find off exit 4 on 89. sort of near the smack middle of the state...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey isn't Bread and puppt happenin again this year in vermont? There will be lots of folks on tour who spin coming your way... perhaps you could have a few word of moth gatherings over the summer*** I would love to come, however won't be out your way until late June.

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
then you should definitely come by - if you're coming from anywhere south i'll be on your way! bread and puppet is up in the northern kingdom, i believe, and i hear it's really good. (new in the area) hell, by that time, i might even be able hold my own unless pele is performing! smile will you be a part of it?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Please don't flatter me so. I am simply a basic twirler, learning like the rest...I am certain you could outspin me anyday!I haven't heard if Bread & Puppet coming this way at all, and I haven't seen it so long (9 years or so), it'd be a treat!AS for the faire performances I am doing this year, so far, I am doing Sitrin Faire, Bonaventure Faire, Hershell Faire, Olcott Pirate Festival, select weekends at Sterling, Ohio and who knows what might be added along the way. Then we have the concerts and festivals that we perform at plus gaming and comic cons. I am looking forward to April though, with great excitement. I hoping that knowing that is coming will get me motivated into practice again. WOuldn't it suck if I got up there and could only butterfly? blushTake Care!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 17 February 2001).]

Pele

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
*happy squeal* oh, good! i was afraid earlier today that your other news might make you decide you didn't want to come after all, but i'm really looking forward to getting to know you in person that i would have been terribly dissappointed if you didn't! even if you aren't ready to spin yet, it'll be great to hang out! and if you did get up here and could only butterfly, my what a butterfly it would be! and who cares anyway? my philosophy is generally that the fire is impressive enough as it is: i don't feel any great need to behind-the-back-super-complicated anything, when a forward chase looks just as cool, or whatever. i mean, crazy stuff is way fun to practice, but i don't feel bad when i light up and stick to the basics. did you decide if you'll bring your kid(s)?

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... my transport situation is kind of difficult right now, so I don't think I can make it (too bad since it is pretty much driving straight north for a while..hehe), but I'm happy there is some stuff going on in the east!Happy Spinning... smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, I had thought about not going, just as I had thought about not answering on the boards anymore but then curiousity is kicking my butt, as I would really like to meet you peoples! wink So spin or no (hopefully I will be back into the swing) I will be there. I am at least going to bring my flags.Since it is the end of Spring Break for my son I think I will be bringing him and my S.O. (king of the truck, why-play-with-fire-when-I-can-watch-it geeks) wants to come and meet up with his truckie board members in your area.ShawnF...isn't there anyone coming from NYC or something that you can hitch a ride with?I can check and see if our route comes anywhere near you and figure out if we can pick you up along the way????Just a thought.At any rate. I will be there with bells on! Besides, I can't erase pen from my calander and you are penned in! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
yayyay,pele! also yay for kiddo and s.o.!hey, shawn: springfield is on I-91, and is indeed on the way from NYC [from NYC, take best route to i-91, take i-91 to i-89 in VT, exit 3 or 4 off 89, detail for last 11 miles to follow]. also, the amtrak goes right through springfield on its way to randolph (our town). so if you wanna go...nothin stoppin ya!! smile [This message has been edited by ykaterina (edited 20 February 2001).]

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
so i posted this before and it didn't take...Im coming from connecticut and will have to drive through springfield so i could get you. I could also pick up people from NYC if they're willing to get the shoreline east train to old saybrook. I dont have a huge car though so 2 or three people is probably tops + backpacks + fire toys! + stuff like that. never too early to organize! smilePeregrine

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Pele and Peregrine, thanks very much for offer. I have to say that it'd be really great to go up there. I am just a beginner at poi and have never done fire, but would be neat to watch and be inspired at least. =)Maybe I could add a little variety with yo-yos, juggling, diabolo, etc.. winkMy calendar is open on 21-22. My main concern is just the times for pickup and dropoff and all of that. I work on friday until 5:30pm, and don't know if I'd be able to take friday off (I just started working here in January).So, if you were going to be at this area on friday afternoon or saturday morning, that'd be fine. I'm just not so sure about friday morning...So, again many thanks. Perhaps this could be worked out after all... smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Peregrin and Shawn, Since you have to go through Springfield Peregrin, it would make sense that you pick Shawn up so I'll let you figure out the logistics. I'll see what I can do about getting Spryte there.Shawn don't worry about being a beginner, nor about bringing other toys...it's all in the spirit of learning and comaraderie. IMHO, it's all welcome.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
e u p h o r i a . . . . i just practiced for 2 hours straight and once i'd blistered through my middles i switched to firsts and when i blistered through those i switched to rings and my hands are SHOT! but hot-damn, i've never had such a good practice before!!! i recently finally broke down and admitted i'm an alanis fan and bought her newer album (i had the angry one as a 19year old...but i'm over the anger now, ya know? i figured it was time to hear cathartic alanis. it's good...) anyway, it's really really slow and it took me all kinds of places...i tripped into like 5 new moves i've never seen anywhere...i'm soooo stoked. now i just have to keep a hold of them till you guys show up. anyway...such excitement! b e d . . .

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
p.s.yeah, shawn...my current euphoria aside, most of the people i know are beginners. but you'll be sooo surprised and delighted how much faster you'll learn with other people around - all the different learning/teaching styles, and stuff. well, anyway, it's easier for me that way. and hell, we've got no pride...we'll laugh with you, you'll laugh with us, it'll be a party...this is the first thing in my life that i've been able to completely fuck up and fail at and do shittily and keep going without completely mangling my self-respect...it's the first time i've been able to laugh at myself in public and not feel like i'm only laughing to cover up shame...it's all that getting-over-my-damage shit and i love it. that's what this is about - and anything you do contributes to that!

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
All right I am psyched!I should also mention to y'all that the weekend after our party in Vermont, the East Coast Beach Burn will be going on at Assateague Island National Seashore:https://www.tux.org/~protozoa/beachburn/faq/htmlfor more information!ykaterina: I'd bet Vermont gets mighty cold at night in April..is there a hotel nearby I can reserve a room for me & fellow Baltimorons in case it gets too cold to sleep outside? Or can you put us all up on your floor? I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold..I think we'd fly up to Manchester, NH (Manchester and Baltimore-Washington airports have Southwest airlines) & rent a vehicle from there.As for scheduling, we'd prolly fly up Saturday morning and fly back Sunday night..is that a reasonable itinerary, y'think?Whooo..this is exciting! Somebody pinch me!

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
outside??well, you're welcome to sleep outside if you *want* to, but nope - i have room for everyone; our house is *huge*. we've done 20 people in the 5 bedrooms, and after that there's a den, a living room, and hell, we could even put people on the office or dining room floors...so i'm really figuring that even a few more than 30 won't give us any trouble. (and i'm not sure there's that many of us). as for travel time: it'll take you about 2 hours to get from manchester to here, slightly less if you regularly drive 80. if you can do friday night instead, well then why not, but otherwise i think your plan's not unreasonable. i'm sooo excited you're coming up!

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I just did the calculations, and for me to drive up there, it would be about a 23 hour round trip! GAH! I'm not entirely certain that my car can handle that, and I'm also not certain as to whether my wallet can handle a plane ticket... We shall see... So on the topic of ride sharing, anyone from the Balto area NOT flying up? I could meet and share drive time and gas money from that area???

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
hey, pele - when you're here, i *really* want to look at your flags and make some. they sound wonderful but i can't picture how to make them in my head...i was also thinking other people may want to as well, so i was gonna pick up a little bit of the poly you were talking about. what else will we need?

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
foooooood thoughts. feel free to suggest something COMPLETELY different! smileso, i'm a really phenominal cook. but i think you guys are gonna have to take my word for it, cause i really don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking while everyone's here - i want to keep things simple so that no one is stuck in the kitchen for ever. i'll bake plenty of goodies, but i was thinking of maybe pasta one night for dinner, and we could grill hot dogs/tofu pups another night...both are quick and have limited dishes, and that way we'll be spending less time in the kitchen and more time poi-ing. for breakfast, i always make belgian waffles when there's people over, so that's that. we could also put out oatmeal and cereals, and if someone wants to volunteer to make eggs, then we've got everything covered.i don't really know what to do about lunches - when there's stuff i wanna be doing, i'm happy to just snack, and we'll have good snacks around...how do other people feel?

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey, All this sounds really cool and all. Mebbe this thing should become an annual type get together. I'm still in high school so i can't attend [bummer]. I'll just have to learn on my own then for a few more years, until i can move up into the "people-who-actually-know-what-they're-doing" league lol. NEhow, sounds really neat, tell me how it goes ------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
hey i havent been around for awhile because of work un fourtunatly middle of april will be the first month my latest work project so it will be hard for me to get down there thenmarch does have some possibilities thoughwould love to get together and spin with some other folks had hardky enough time to spin by myselfasalwaysjessejamesps if i can make it i would be happy to any cooking thats not already taken care ofany doubts you can check out menus at grizzleygrill.ca and for my latest work in a few weeks you can check out gusto.ca though that site is not done yet to much time cooking to get any of this computer shit out of teh way[This message has been edited by jessejames (edited 22 February 2001).]

burnin down the house

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I can handle my own in a kitchen as well, so any area you need help in I have no probs with. Maybe for lunches something like a sandwhich meat tray or the like...quick, easy and munchable. I don't mind taking a turn in the kitchen. Also do you have a slow cooker (crockpot?). Slap something in one of those in the morning and it's ready for dinner...no *real* effort needed. I have a bunch o' recipes. If you don't have one I do and would more than happy to bring it.As for Flag stuffs, curtain cording, the cotton/silk kind. It's about $.97 a yard at Walmart. Also need a candle, thread and needles. It's really easy to make them and fun to play.Jesse. I am closer to Pitt than VT. and I am bringing my car (not the SO's truck). If you can make it here (Batavia,NY), you can leave your car here and we can ride up together. I am going to get ahold of Spryte and see if she wants to ride with. That should just about fill the car and our gear in the trunk. Just wanted to make the offer.We are planning on leaving sometime around 6pm on that Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon/evening.Shoot me a post or email and let me know.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
in the middle of practicing (uh, working! - right) but...taiguy, yep, this definitely *must* be an annual event! so don't worry, we'll be here!by the way, where is yorktown in relation to JMU? my brother goes there, and if you want, when i go down to visit him next, we could get together...also, we're working on a website for it, so there will be lots of pictures for you to check out. by the way, don't not come just cause of your age; if you can convince your rents to let you come, or even if one of them is cool enough to come with you, then hell - c'mon! heck, you could even visit some colleges in the area (boston, UVM) and get some excused days out of class!jessejames, i know it's short notice, but my "regular" crowd will be here march first weekend, if you wanna come down! i'll give you a holler other times that they're here - there's only 6 of us, but still...we usually get together here about twice a month; you're welcome any time!i'm happy for anyone to cook who wants to, and appreciate the offer! i don't have a crock pot yet - we've only been here since dec 27th, and our previous place was a 3 room apt in boston, so we don't have a lot of stuff yet...but definitely bring yours! thanks! also, pele, re: your trunkfull o' gear, i have plenty of bedding and though i'm sure some people will also bring sleeping bags or whatever, if you run out of room, don't worry about it - i've got that covered.

Page: