RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok... so buterfly weaves ahve the benefit of doing everything from the weave family and from the butterfly family, yes?

I've been thinking on this.. and found buterfly windmills to be pretty cool... butterfly corkscrews are just beatiful.. that being said.. I know there are other people playing with this family (god I feel this searing pain in my head everytime I call them a family) given the discussion lately, but noone talks about anything other then the basic weave..

so here's a thread to post the cool variations and such that people have come across in this set of moves.. like the windmill and corscrew versions..

so..... what have you people been doing? Inquiring minds wanna know..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Butterfly windmills don't exist - a windmill being something that only goes in one direction.

3/5 beat seperate butterfly weaves are nice, with multiple beat variations on hand positioning.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
we do get the idea though

a 'bf windmill' being basically a '2bt bf weave in the wall plane above the head'?

i haven't played with this at all cos i can only do one of the four split-time 3bt butterfly weaves and would guess grounding the basics would probably help too.

despite that, i still have something random to add
horizontal bf above your head is excellent for noticing the split-time/same-time link - spin one, turn 90 degrees and you'll automatically be spinning the other.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well I meant using the same motions as the butterfly weave (i.e. the TTN's and such) like one would do a windmill.. and in the same way one would do a corkscrew.. the windmill for instance, doesn't come out like the typical overhead butterfly... or at least it doesn't look like it to me... I haven't really played it much though.. I've been playing a lot with the corsckrew variation, which ahs currently become one of my favorite moves.. 1) cuz its different and 2) because I think it looks cool as

but the point being that since it inherits all the bonuses of the 2 families.. there should be a lot mroe variationsthen these few that I've been playing with..
I've been working on a few seperations.. and I'm sure if one knows what an isolation is then they could do one of those in there as well..

soo... again I ask.. what kind of variations are people playing with? because honestly my butterfly work sucks, and the only reason I can do most of this I think is the weave relation.. I've got so many ideas, but I'm not sure which ones are plausible because I'm not very skilled, so I can't do a lot of these things I can picture..

dom- I only used the BFwindmill, etc.. since butterfly weave(however horrid) is already a designation for the founding move.. and I'm sure we could all argue the weave (or weavelessness ) that it is..

[ 11. October 2003, 06:51: Message edited by: Rev ]

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
3 beat split time mexican wave, then? Turn around under it, and watch your hands try and work out what the hells just happened. I learned the bth stalls this way... (if only i could do them one at a time.)

--Ben

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
doh, was gonna post what tenticle said..Thats what Ive been playin with recently..Finally got down continuous turns or just 180 turns while doin the mexican wave horizontally..Easiest way to start off was to keep one poi on top of the head(propeller like) when it reached the top(other poi is at exact bottom), and turning 180 degrees while bringing the bottom poi up and around. Beautiful move..Butterfly windmill?? Can't see it, but since learning the bfly weave I have been trying to do more bth stuff, dunno if this would qualify..One variation involves keeping one hand bth while doing a 180 turn, doesn't look like anything really special, I'm sure better variations will manifest eh..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
gonna have to try that stuff.. sounds like some fun...

all I meant by the the BF windmill was a 4bt BTH butterfly... since its the same thing.. a normal over the head butterfly is pretty much a same time 2bt BF weave isn't it..

I've also been taking the bf corkscrew-like things and putting a buzzsaw in it, now that I'm learning buzzsaws.. everyy once in a while my brain just spontaneaously blanks for about 3 seconds.. I guess I'm trying to play with too much at once.. grasshopper need learn patience..

<-- I just love this smilie...

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
full (6-beat) split time TTN's. After that butterflies are just like tetris. You can go into and out of the bf from any orientation. not so much doing moves as being able to move with the bf.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
'The Impossible Weave'

That's what i like to call 'butterfly weaves' cos they simply defy all logic. I discovered them without outside contact and knew that if they were indeed possible - then all my bf and weave moves would become one.

They are far and away my favourite moves cos they link straight into every other move seemlessly, without missing a beat.

First came the 3bt Impossible weave. Once you master 'double TTN split-time' in the wall plane (shoulder plane) and you can turn between them, you can then turn 90 degrees so the poi are in wheel plane (sight-plane) and the move becomes symetrical by crossing to the right and left sides of your body [making certain that your arms are 'crossed' as the poi pass in front of your body]. Only then is it 'The Impossible Weeve'

Now you can start haing fun with it. For starters practice with you arms real bendy, exagerate ever movement as much as possible. Then practice with your arms as straight as possible until you can do the move with your fingers alone. When passing from left to right (or vise versa) slip 1 of the poi under your leg for a bit of flare. And mix and match between straight/bendy arms as the music desires.

If you can Isolate then do so - the isolated impossible weave is divine, also don't forget that as you push your arms through the butterfly - you can push them left/right, high/low - making insanely random patterns.

Also practice 'change of direction' on 1 poi to go straight into weaves- be mindful of the planes your poi are in - DO NOT try to move planes through 90 degrees. Move your body through 90 instead.

So once you can do all that seemlessly, move onto the 5-beat Impossible weave and repeat the above. (Never managed to isolate 5bt Imp.Wv. for all 10 beats - is it plausible???)

You gotta love that 5-bt 'bendy' Impossible weave.

Yay - now you can 'do the impossible'

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Here's what I've been playing with involving the Butterfly Weave...

Around the world

Begin in a forward butterfly in front of you. Go into a 5-beat butterfly weave to your right, but keep your feet planted forward. When you come back to the front, start leading with your left hand and do another 5-beat butterfly weave to your left. Repeat. Whee!

Twisty turny

Begin in a forward butterfly in front of you. Pick a direction and turn 180 degrees, going into a reverse in the process. Here you can keep going the same direction or go the other way, switching between butterfly weaves and simple changes of direction. You'll be a tornado of fury!

Over the head Butterfly Weave into Chase

It's just a simple bicep wrap, but cool and useful nonetheless. Do a forward butterfly to the left and begin a butterfly weave left to right. Bring the axis in front and over your head. As you begin the forward butterfly on the left, wrap your right poi around your left bicep and let the left poi continue spinning. After the wrap, come out with a regular weave, whatever beat you'd like. You could also go into a corkscrew or a windmill by changing the plain a little.

Anyone else been playing with these?

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Anyone have any videos to post?

E pluribus unum, baby.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by kittyn:
Here's what I've been playing with involving the Butterfly Weave...

Around the world
Twisty turny

Over the head Butterfly Weave into Chase

Anyone else been playing with these?

around the world is just a butterfly fountain that doesn't go up...
start with butterfly in front BFweave it to the left going under the shoulder, come back over the shoulder, over to the right, come down and and bring it under the shoulder as you bring it back forward on the right side..

twisty turny... that's just a butterfly weave in the wall plane... and turning... am I missing something...

butterfly weave into chase... I use the bicep wraps to change direction and switch between weves and butterflies alot.. its the easiest wrap to use...

I've been playing more with the corkscrew more because it looks so cool... especially adding buzzsaw in the middle.. also seperating them and bringing them together... throw an BF hyperloop on the top or bottom of the corkscrew... or my favorite, handcuff wrap at the top, turn, recoil and butterfly cork it back down..
although.. instead of turning around you could just bring down your left side, up, and over to the right side and down, up and over to the left.. keep your feet planted.. this will help teach you to turn left and right with it..

none of this is overly special, but its what I've been playing with and can be applied to the weave as well..

the only other BF related thing I've been working on goes over the head (like a windmill only with TTN's instead of butterflies) back to the front, then between the legs, and back forward.. after I get that down I'm going to try and get it BTL, forward, behind to the left, forward, over the head, forward, behind to the right, forward.. rinse repeat.. dunno how cool it will look.. but its something to practice with..

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
ahhhhhhhhh...what the hell is a butterfly weave...i've already asked this before and the explanation sucked

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
what Moses said....

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Click here, there's plenty of info...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.