Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > ????6 'n 7 beat weave reverse...????

Login/Join to Participate

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Can anyone help me!!!!
How the hell are you supposed to wrap your arms up. Can to it forward but not a chance backwards.
HELP!!! or does anyone have any vids.???
Mot.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Offset weaves and the 7 beat weave....

i suggest downloading the video in staff moves title drew and stick and soming about DJ Shaddow.

if your talking about the 6,7,8 and 9 beat weaves with no wrap, then download the video drew does the 7 beat there pretty clearly enough for you to get the idea.

You don't have to be supple to get your arms and hands into the position, its fairly straight forward, the reverses are a little more difficult though. there are over 32 offset weaves to discover, but, the 7 beat is an offset on the left then offset on the right. If you want to take it past 7 beat then you have to learn the finger cross's too.

to offset on the left side spinning forwards: after your right poi has made its 1st beat on the left side of you, its natural will then follow, 1 beat with your left poi in a 3 beat weave, as your right poi makes its second beat, turn your left arm up, your left arm needs to be 90 degrees from the elbow hand being top and the elbow being at the bottom, this is instead of taking the left poi back to the right side!. as your right poi comes out of its second beat you should then make your right arm turn up 90 degree's too. At this stage your left elbow should sit comfortably [haha not] in the pocket / joint of your right arm, you should then be able to fold your arms around each other, folds the wrists round each other too for that extra reach, I do suggest however that your spinning from the tips of your fingers with your loops still secure, this will help. so at this stage your left arm is all wrapped around your right arm, but the left hand is in the same position that it is still leading through the move. so once here you can move it over to the right side, let it all unwrap and your arms will be free again for 1 beat, then mirror what you just did on the left side.

*You can offset any beat weave "2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9" by following the above description and do them on either side then learning them all reverse too! the 9 is from wrapping from the finger tips for an extra beat on each side.*

theres and extract for my website, i posted this months ago if you care'd to search. its easy to find things here.
reverse it for reverse moves.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
If you can do it forwards, then you can do it backwards... Practice doing it forwards in the wall plane, so you face towards the poi, and turn your whole body 180' to unwrap your arms on the other side, still in the wall plane... After a bit, try turning the other way. Your arms already know how to unwrap and wrap up again, and so it's only the backwards crossover you need to play with, rather than having to try and learn a whole new move.
Also from the wall plane, instead of turning, try passing your arms over your shoulder (or even over your head) for a six beat windmill...

Hope it helps...

--Ben

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Cooool tnx,

Have'nt got it yet but it's begining to take shape. It is just the same twisty carry on.

Thanking yees very muuuuch,

Mot.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.