KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, as i see it, when you subtract out wraps and aerials or rolls, there's a limited number of moves with poi, right?

(although, on that note, i saw someone jumping back and forth over their buttefly last night which was really cool looking and funny... i know i'd trip if i did that!)

Basically, you have three planes. Vertical Wall, Vertical Going Away From You, and Horizantal. And given that you only have two poi, they can either be going the same direction or opposite directions.

So, you have horizantal moves (corckscrew 2-5 beats, side-corckscrews, bta corckscrew (2-5 beats), little wheel between ur hands whatever you call it, and everything in reverse. Then you have horizantel mexican wave and alternate butterflys, horizantel butterflies & ttn, uh you can turn them i guess....overhead butterfly and ttn... everything in reverse. So what am i missing in this section?

VW moves.... Butterflies (4 planes, in front high/low, btb, bth), a straightened out butterfly weave should look sort of like a figure eight thingy...i don't know if that coudl also be done btb and bth? chasing the sun, and any combo sortof like that, windmill (2-5 beats) bta butterflies(very annoying) sort of figure eighty thing should be able to be done going in and out of bta... alternate butterflies. mexican wave. alternate butterfly/mexican wave combo moves. everything in reverse. plus you could mess with any of this putting ur hands in weird places or doing things btl. turn everything. What did i miss from this section?

VGAFY... butterflies on the side and ttn. butterfly weave (2,3,5 beat. 5 beat is really just an exercise in amsuement as i understand it). butterfly bta. ttn bta? is that possible? weave (2-5 beats). weave going in and out of bta. burn-the-nose. everything overhead, btb, bth. mixing planes in the same move. turns (low, high, btb- also each makes a "wave" combo.) figure eights. turny without turning things. everything in reverse. turn everything. What did I miss from here?

Thanks for your help guys

Jus kinda trying to figure out what i havn't thought of yet.

[ 29 July 2002, 10:19: Message edited by: Kyrian ]

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"limited" is always an interesting word...

Like the thoughts of the person who closed the patents office around the turn of the century, becuase they thought that everything had been invented!

I would say there is definitely a limit to poi moves, but that that limit is likely to be higher the 100,000 and it's more likely that our "limited" lifespan will limit us more than th enumber of possible moves...

Just as a thought, have you tried wraps where the chain wraps around different fingers of the same hand? Achieving this will will give you about 25 new possible moves...

How about rolling the poi's on the ground in differen patterns, up onto your body, over a leg etc, but making sure they are never actually airborne?

Just a few ideas from a raving nutter staff person...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol, yeah ur a nutter chalres. that's why i qualified "no wraps/aerials or rolls" once you add those in.... well, it might not be infinite. but equivalent, no?

no, i was just trying to sort out the spinny in a circle stuff.

but the fingers idea soudns interetsing... er... you sure they won't break?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think you're way off a definitive list. There's lots of moves that are debateably variations of moves or 'different' moves. I believe glass once drew up a list of over 100 distinct poi moves, and then lost the list! He's a bit dappy sometimes.

There's butterfly where one poi orbits the other, swingin moves (doesn't have to be a full circle ya know!), 7 step windmill orbits, square & cross butterflies. Lots of stuff that'd take too long to explain!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol, so how much for a plane ticket to england glass? not that i won't keep myself busy with that mess for awhile, but am a bit excited by all these bizarre meanderings....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
have you ever tried just spazzing out with your poi?

not really a move, but it has almost infinite possiblities...

though it usually ends with one or both poi hitting very sensitive spots very hard...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oddly, i can't do stuff like that with poi. i don't have a good enough sense of them. i only do dumb things like taht with staff... (oddly, they havn't gone into the koi ponds yet, altho they have done many crazy things, including almost breaking teh screen door...)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oops, sorry Kyrian, I did read that sentence but must have promptly forgotten it.

As for fingers breaking, I'm pretty useless at poi but I do know as long as you swing a wrapped item in the same direction as the path of the poi there is virtually no stress put on the wrapper item, for direction changes that occur when wrapping fingers, just swing the hand or forearm along the new orbit and you'll be fine...

How about attaching the poi straps to your elbows and doing stuff with them like that? Might even be a new variation on doing four poi at once if you held another pair in your hands...

Bassman has some cool moves with tennis balls as both the poi ends and the handles where he lets go of them and grabs the other end as a handle, it looks almost magical as they float back into reach while the poi is rotating around it's own axis in the air before he catches it again...

You could try something that might look like a cross between poi and liquid...hand a short poi down through your fingers of your hand and try to make it follow your hand through a whole pile of cool dance moves, try to keep the poi underneath your flat palm at all times. I think there is a highly technical element to this but it would look pretty cool when someone gets it down pat...

Um...Hmm (wanders off in a daze of millions of ideas all jostling themselves to be first out of his head)

Keep on thinking people!!!!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?