Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
I find when I'm spinning that lots of other people want a go, but I have no idea what to teach them that's easy and encourages them to keep going with the poi.

I've been trying to teach the butterfly, but it's really quite tricky, especially for someone with just a casual interest.

Does anyone know any moves which look (and feel) great, but which are easy peasy for a beginner and which might encourage them to keep going?

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
hey sepa
i usually start by teaching them how to do the weave, or an approximation. might be because it was the first move i learnt (self taught) and i really have a special feeling towards that move...
i think it's easy and looks really nice...
cya
SaBBaS

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Easy moves hmm. When i first started spinning i was taught to learn the easier moves such as the btb 5-beat weave and multitudes of between the legs moves. After that i moved to to much harder moves such as the butterfly and figure 8.

heh, j/k. My advice would be to learn the figure 8 forwards and backwards. Learn how to turn the poi forwards and backwards also. Try to learn moves that enable you to move rather than moves that make you stationary. It will give you a better foundation to work off of in the long run.

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
*chuckle*

Yeah, btb weave is a sinch... definately a good one for beginners.

I take your meaning about moves requiring movement as opposed to standing still. Maybe low and high turns so they can change the direction. I'll give it a go next time someone asks.

thanks.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
high and low turns are exactly what i was talking about.

High turns and low turns are actually just half of a different move.

High turn, chasing the sun instead of bringing it over again continue from reverse.

Low turn - shooting the moon same thing as the top but low.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
excellent advice phunky, I would recommend the same. Sometimes when I practice I try moving my body around my poi instead of the other way around. It teach control of the poi and flexibility of being able to move around.

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Nice one, thanks.

I might try moving me instead of the Poi myself - I sometimes feel stuck in one place, if you know what I mean.

I think I need dance classes!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Just keep practicing. Being able to flow and move around comes with time.

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
hmm low turn...say can u low turn from backwards to front too??? i mean i see it done in the lecture but every time i try to immagine how to do it my brain fries and i have to reboot...i just don't get it (i suck at visualisation)
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
You can do rvs low turns and high turns with clubs, so I dont see why in theory you couldnt do it with poi?

of course, its far easier to do a rvs low turn in front of your body (between your arms and your body) than behind, but the BTB version should also be possible; perhaps a bit superhuman on poi, but attainable with clubs I imagine

Josh

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
oh dear now i am confused.....
what i did was uhm sort off stick my arms gehing and the poi sorta wriggled and came out reverse when i try from reverse to front i usually get a ugly bounce thing....
high turn reverse to front is pretty easy i think but if i try it front to reverse about all that happens is a smack in the face....

Morgy
it's hell if u don't have anybody who can explain things face to face...ugh

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.