Page:
NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
jeez i have tried and tried this move and i cant get it!!! frownokay give me tips maybe also i got a question when you do a 180 turn with the butterfly doing tread on the neaddle you get in a Reverse butterfly doing Tread on the needle... or where i am wrong???

Dance like if noone were watching you

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Do you think it will be more likely that the newbies will learn poi shorthand, or just ask anyway?I find it very difficult to believe that there are ppl accessing this site that /cannot/ use a search engine. SURELY its simpler to point the newbie at the search engine and give em a bit of help with the correct name than to expect them to learn Poi shorthand? You will *still* need to explain the poi shorthand move over and over.You also seem to be forgetting that every time a newbie starts a new thread called "fountain?" Its one more thread the ppl using the search engine have to wade through to get to the decent content - thus making it less effective. Eventually the search engine will be rendered useless because ppl like you insist on repetitious posting on the same topics, and the only option will be to spend 80% of our time online answering the same questions that pop up weekly. Josh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Explaining to newbies how to do things was never a problem for me. I enjoy sharing what i know. Explaining to a confused newbie on how to do combo that someone named is. I just want a uniformity on how things are explained, if that comes by shorthand or some other idea then fine.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Cool!So why dont you name a thread something like;"Phunky's Beginners Tutorials and Question Answering Service"so all your repetitious posting can be completely standardised according to you and your rules. You can use Swahili if you like!And it will all be in the one spot so it doesnt stuff up the Search engine. Or do you fail to recognise that posting the same thing over and over and over has this negative effect on its effectiveness? Josh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Josh, you're taking this argument way to personally. I'm just saying, would it be so horrible bad to get a standarized way to describe a series of moves. Sure you can look at it and say if it ain't broke, why fix it mentality. But why settle for mediocrity.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
On that point - I agree smileI'm not taking it personally - I'm trying to "defend the integrity of the mighty search engine!"dats all.Josh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
we already use a shorthand...rvs, fwd, weave, ttn, btb, btl, bf, mex wave..lots of posts go do a fwd 3 bt ttn then mex wave, with alternate btb bfs etc... the => arrows and brackets are unecessary... they're slower to type than "then do a".I have seen attempts a systems for lots of arts... notably footbagging and contact juggling... and they havent ever really caught on.I know, why don't we expand the poi lessons to include:fountainbtl stuffsplit time bf/ttn etcthree point ttn6,7,8+ weaveswraps... we have a post, make it a page!fwds/rvs btb stuff (so we finally clear this debate uponce and for all!)possibly performance advice, combo advice...and with each lesson write down the common abbreviations and other possible names (weave/chase etc)and make the lessons a more integral part of the site. I'm not suggesting that we get vidoes for all of them, just so that newbies don't even HAVE to use the search engine and have all thse terms in one handy place.It would be quite useful ordering the lessons in categories rather than difficulty then too... eg weave stuff (fountain,2bt,3,4,5,6,7...), bf stuff (1hd, ttn,...), wraps, turns...... yada yada yada. you get the idea.I'll even help write it if you want, Malcolm... we could make a post for each move then post all we know about it, compile it, and hey presto.If you could be bothered, of course. But if you did we'd all love you! I'd buy a box of your pens and give them to my friends! grin

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
we already use a shorthand...rvs, fwd, weave, ttn, btb, btl, bf, mex wave..lots of posts go do a fwd 3 bt ttn then mex wave, with alternate btb bfs etc... the => arrows and brackets are unecessary... they're slower to type than "then do a".I have seen attempts a systems for lots of arts... notably footbagging and contact juggling... and they havent ever really caught on.I know, why don't we expand the poi lessons to include:fountainbtl stuffsplit time bf/ttn etcthree point ttn6,7,8+ weaveswraps... we have a post, make it a page!fwds/rvs btb stuff (so we finally clear this debate uponce and for all!)possibly performance advice, combo advice...and with each lesson write down the common abbreviations and other possible names (weave/chase etc)and make the lessons a more integral part of the site. I'm not suggesting that we get vidoes for all of them, just so that newbies don't even HAVE to use the search engine and have all thse terms in one handy place.It would be quite useful ordering the lessons in categories rather than difficulty then too... eg weave stuff (fountain,2bt,3,4,5,6,7...), bf stuff (1hd, ttn,...), wraps, turns...... yada yada yada. you get the idea.I'll even help write it if you want, Malcolm... we could make a post for each move then post all we know about it, compile it, and hey presto.If you could be bothered, of course. But if you did we'd all love you! I'd buy a box of your pens and give them to my friends! grin

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Speaking as a newbey - I went to search and searched the word 'fountain' within technical discussion. Nothing came up. Admittedly, it took me sometime to find the search button, maybe Im lazy, maybe i was just taken away with excitement at finding the site and - at last - answers to me questions. As for shorthand - well youd have one confused little newbey on your hands. wink

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Wouldnt't it make more sense to search for the fountain in the moves section?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The fountain isn't in the move section. Nor should it be since its a combination of moves.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I think he may have meant the 'Moves' Discussion Group(doing a search from..instead of Technical).CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Page: