Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
yeah yeah, no biggy to the rest of you, but in my search for flowers expertise and tips, I came across the butterfly weave... I kept on being unable to get out of a 4-beat rhythm, until I clicked that as long as I got the TTN part right, and then moved out of the TTN with my left hand first, I would get the 3-beat right.

... as with most poi moves, it just friggin happened!

www.domorepoi.com also helped quite a bit....

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

Connorboonewbie
1 post

Posted:
yay,i taught myself 3 beat weave yesterday and today ive gotten down doing 5 beat on my left side and im working on getting it on the right,its hard!

i started with keys and drawstring...yeesh

psyBRONZE Member
4 posts

Posted:
yay just got the 3bt weave...my second day of playing with sock poi ubbrollsmile
just had to tell somebody hehe..yes i'm an amatuer

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Butterfly weaves and some more interesting contact stuff and a notcoleman5

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
horizontal hyperloops from below the hands (-wrap) to above the hands (-unwrap) - someone done that? ah - for sure andy has done that already... meditate

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I found This in a thread:

slow double catch to airwrap release

So I learnt it.

Cheers Rob!! Been bugging me for ages, that one!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice one ofs smile

Written by: FireTom

horizontal hyperloops from below the hands (-wrap) to above the hands (-unwrap) - someone done that? ah - for sure andy has done that already... meditate

that's what i was doing when i met rob for the first time - he came over and said "i've been playing with that too".

in some ways, that first conversation has never actually ended... wink

i learnt more bits of antispin - i can now do the weave crossover from right to left (poi spinning backwards) - which means i'm nearly at the point where i can spin in antispin for a while with turns and all that like what that monkey and rev can do smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks cole. Am finding it a little harder than I originally thought. Its one of these moves I can do when I don't think about it.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Just accidentally figured out butterfly hyperloops.

Been doing butterfly airwraps for ages - now I get it I cant believe that its taken me so long to work out the tiny progression.

Non-Https Image Link

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
Butterfly time suicide rolls on both wrists, alternating. Straight jacket weave and turn, I learned the Butterfly straightjacket!!
Behind the back arm crossers going forwards. 360 BTB weave turning left. Tons of contact stuff, Not many people doing butterfly time contact ttricks?? THey are amazing. I Learned BTB throws over my shoulder.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
We seem to be a very select group of individuals although I'm mostly working on traps and stuff like that. It seems to be a little bit more mind bendy when you start doing butterfly time contact stuff.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
BF SJ, inverted 3-4 beat butterfly weave. TTN with a behind the head takout every other beat. Learning wallplane SJ, holy sheeit its hard.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Flowers and anti spin flowers as of last week biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Yuk.

I learnt a 5 beat weave.

Willy - is bad for your health...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm rather impressed with myself because yesterday i manged to go from a butterfly to a bummerfly! Brilliant! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
its a butterfly through the legs and next to your bum.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
always showing me up Jon!!! GRRR!!!!

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
btb hyperloops and some crazy throw stuff where i throw the handle into my other arm so it flicks it the other way in the air or so it shoots right back town into my other hand. Ahh sooooo much fun

Peace, Love, Circles

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hahaha bounce woo!! I'm the master!! :P

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
just tidied up my btb 3bt weave... outwards buttfly ttn (next step is 3 beat butterfly weave)

I tried bummerflies... i'm not very good, I keep spank my bum when I do them lol, is it just one beat you got behind? or infinite?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
9 beat contact swaps which I've described in the contact poi thread, 7 beat weaves, butterfly hyperloops, btb butterfly waistwraps and some other contact stuff that needs weighted handles to do cleanly.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
double wibble multiplex start, into a (now getting more solid) normal wibble pattern...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

double wibble multiplex start, into a (now getting more solid) normal wibble pattern...

eh? sounds wonky. that's one handed to two handed? and in general to you wibblers, if it's not on fire and has weighted handles, why is it not a meteor move? wink

-- dut

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
'not evenly weighted, short doubles meteors'
i think wibble has a better ring to it...
wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I started messing around with three point anti-spin flowers last night. They look soooo nice on camera.

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Jus found out the fun-ness of underarm + overarm throws, hyperloops and anti~spin weaves into anti~spin 4 petal flowers!!!!

Oh the spinniness of it all!!!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

You'll have to show me this weekend!!

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
horizontal buzzsaws both ways and basic horizontal buzzsaw hyperloops both ways in that up/down motion thing

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I've been making comlpex patterns with by mix-matching parts of compound circles (flowers, buzzsaw fountains, and the like). I just need more practice in open spaces so I can really work with this. I also have been working on 180 and 360 degree pirouettes from any more. I think this will make my spinning much more dynamic.

Oh and I can do fwd & rev, 3 bt & 5 beat, 1st degree inversion in a weave now and I can turn them. I also fuond some pretty neat uses for inversions in atoms.

Peace, Love, Circles

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Turning anti spin Flowers. And reverse antispin Flowers. smile

I could feel these coming on ages ago, but only tonight have I decided they're solid enough to post...

Also (thanks to Bluecat) learnt to do the inside-out airwrap, (as well as the outside-in airwrap that I could already do) which stops me doing a not so nice (but kinda inconspicuous to the untrained eye) plane break when doing continual airwraps...

Also learnt about Insides, and how to recognise them as well.

All sorts of Geekery, really...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: ......