Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
at least you're still allowed to post here rev... ubbcrying

[5 ball sync half shower tongue]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
oo ooo oooo

i learned a poi move! wooo hooo

... (drumroll)... flowers biggrin peace

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
coleman - learn some poi, then ya can tongue

erm some what are apparently called tracers.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
some trinity, (trinity bf weave actually)

turning atomic weave

atomic hyperloop.

423 with clubs, with a low single for the 2.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
btb butterfly crossers, btb butterfly ww where one poi carries one way and the other carries the other way, some other btb butterfly ww timings, some weird bfly weave separations and 5bt bfly weave where you use the transition on the wrong end of the ttn to move to the other plane, which feels as wierd as hell. and a reverse ttn where you throw under the arm for the inside beat that i saw one wheel dave do one time.
wrong beat leg thru wraps... do a 5bt weave, the 3rd beat thru wraps and the 4th leads over as normal, then the 5th unwraps. tangles with one poi thru wrapped, swapping which one each transition. tick-tock wraps in tangles and buzzsaw tangles. other 3rd beat things like inverting it. which is fun. not half as fun as doing a 3bt and inverting the first beat over... it's like doing a 5bt just changing plane a beat early. turning 3bt's with the lead poi thruwrapping on a bicep and the other sneaking through the gap thats left.

might go and play with a stick for a bit now.

--ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Wow. What's a tick-tock wrap?

BTB waist wraps both directions with low carries, windmill turns and pirouettes, double throws, various entries into airwraps and hyperloops from stalls

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
spiral.. check spherculism.. (though I posted the basic wrap theory here too) but I think matt put and uber old clip of mine in the galleries somewhere of the tick tock wraps.. they just boucne back and forth between points.. like the pendelum in a clock ticking and tocking..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
or to be more precice, ticktocks wrap every 180 degrees, rather than 360. I know, cos i invented the term, lol. :mrbighead:

T wave

-><- Kallisti

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ah, those things smile

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
yep, half beat wraps, one bouncing between the top of the wrists, the other bouncing on the bottom. NYC showed me them ages ago when he came to sheffield... theres a video on glowstickers.com (and it might be in the teknoturtles vid too) of tangled ones.
buzzsaw ones are *hard*. the trick is to keep the strings tight until just before they wrap, so they wrap loose, then pull your hands apart quick enough to make them bounce with tight strings... if they arn't, the bottom one won't make it across. oh yeah, keep your hands far enough appart so the poi don't wrap too far round. and on the 'untangled' wrap, keep the strings crossed... if they end up parrallel they won't tangle when they go back. but they look cool when they work. and you can do them with your hands at the top and bottom too, but bouncing from the bottom to the top requires a yank and looks bad. there's probably a way to make it work though.

--ben

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Last weekend I learned a split-time butterfly weave and a split-time butterfly weave/half beat isolated.

This is a real turning point for me. Oh hello all I'm new here but have been reading for a long time.
EDITED_BY: PupDawg (1098851975)

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Lessee, I finally figured out what the hell a notcoleman5 is, no thanks to the descriptions on this board. Now I can do it, it's ugly, but forward and reverse and from right to left and left to right. Oddly, getting forward and reverse was easier than right to left.

What else, a lot of the stuff from the SS videos. Hyperloops from all directions, one of my favorites being the overhead thingy at about 1:15 in SS1. Also doing other hyperloop stuff including a weird btb waistwrap looking one and a hyperloop double-stop off the wrists in either direction. Also working on 5bt weaves with a hyperloop transition from side to side, also, very, ugly.

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, horizontal hyperloop buzzaw. That is, horizontal windmill to a hyperloop two beats through the middle (for now) and then two beats out into the rest of the windmill.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
or to be more precice, ticktocks wrap every 180 degrees, rather than 360. I know, cos i invented the term, lol. :mrbighead:

T wave

that's funny because I started calling them that when I wrote the basic wrap theory thread to have a way to reference them.. I hadn't read any of your stuff there on it :mrbighead:

great minds think alike I suppose... exccept when they communicate in text.. than alcohol tends to leave some with a great headache..

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
OMG OMG OMG OMG

just got behind the back thread the needle

BTB TTN!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

vid to come soon

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
like a forewards weave but with poi going backwards -been meaning to learn it for a while.

also backwards weave again.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: oli

like a forewards weave but with poi going backwards

Anti spin weave yeah?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
backwards antispin weave.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I learned this cool move that makes even the most expaerienced spinner hit themselves in the nads.. I call it 'not paying attention.' its real simple.. start spinning really complicated utl or atl stuff, get someone to talk to you from across the apartment.. and try yelling back a conversation.. and have them say something that just makes your brain go "WTF" like " a moose once bit my sister.. " or "if it weren't for my horse, I wouldnt have spent that year in college.." and tada.. instant success..

and I learned some utl antispinnyness.. whihc was dramatically cut short.. by the above move..

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i learned staff bounce

i learned staff bounce2

no idea what they're called. some behind the back & over the head passes and twirly bits that i don't know the name of....

:wigglyshakeasssmiley:

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
lol rev smile

i learnt to throw both my poi heads from my hands into tangled up ness at once.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
so people wtf? you all spun this weekend because of the Ball.. so like what gives.. you can't spin with a bunch of people not have learned something.. spank nana

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Ok I learned I jumpy spinning move while doing the corkscrew, aim is to get perfect three in a row (any more and I get really dizzyubbloco). 90% success rate without fire, tried it with fire and did a face wrap eek. Singed eyelashes and light burn/bruise (can't tell yet but I think bruise) to edge of eye area.
oh and also linking throws into combination: btb throw, under left leg and over left arm, under right leg, repeat. about 60% success rate. (but I only started btb throws today). Still cant do btb weave or butterfly yet. grrr.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: rev

you all spun this weekend because of the Ball.. so like what gives.. you can't spin with a bunch of people not have learned something

erm....I don't think I learned anything at the weekend, well, I can't remember learning anthing although I saw tons of sh1t I haven't seen before properly, like antispin weaves and some lovely 'loop variations from Nx.

If someone remembers teaching me something please remind me so I can use it again sometime soon biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
It took me about 6 months of on-off practice, but I finally managed to do forwards behind the back weave today. Thank god for that.

I've nearly managed to get the hang of 4-beat corkscrew spinning in the wrong direction, too, which I've never got round to learning before. Woo.

"Take that, math!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol rev, it wasnt that kind of weekend.

tho i did take a mo to get the 'anti-buzzsaw' which we are debating sooo hotly wink

and today ive got a new atomic hype, and after years of faliure I have the buzzsaw hyp with crossed entry and exit (the crossed entry gives it an extra twist, so thats why.)

T wave

-><- Kallisti

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
butterfly turning 180 into butterfly and then repeat as needed or until i hit myself

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ok, get this

roll on ball along the top of your forarm and let it drop off the end. as that one drops throw the second ball over the first to land on th elbow. as that one rolles down to the hand the first ball sets up for the same move on the opposite arm. nice huh?

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
ok, get this

roll on ball along the top of your forarm and let it drop off the end. as that one drops throw the second ball over the first to land on th elbow. as that one rolles down to the hand the first ball sets up for the same move on the opposite arm. nice huh?

T wave

Eek, that's technical smile

Behind the back weave turns, under arm catches, first 2 throws of a 4400 pattern with poi - my ceiling is far too low for poi juggling.

"Take that, math!"

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Partially isolated waist wraps.

Page: ......