Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
7 beat weave directly in to Mexican Wave

Also, 5 beat spinning (me spinning in circles) weave directly in to Mexican Wave.

Quite fun, looks amazing.

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
After months of frustration I finally got BTB weave with hardly any effort,just got lost spinning to my S.O.M cd! My arms ache like hell but i just can't stop doing it now - Yippieeee!

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
i've been reading all your stuff about 5 beat weaves and double ttn's and low fountains, but i must admit its damn hard to visualize sitting here in front of pc. sad truth, i think i have to see it to believe it to do it.

any sites on the net with explanations for complex moves, like 5 beats and stuff? or should i roam the streets of paris looking for spinners?

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i just learnt three beat corkscrew , and also very very bad one handed corkscrew, is the one handed weave possible?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by yannicus:
i've been reading all your stuff about 5 beat weaves and double ttn's and low fountains, but i must admit its damn hard to visualize sitting here in front of pc. sad truth, i think i have to see it to believe it to do it.

any sites on the net with explanations for complex moves, like 5 beats and stuff? or should i roam the streets of paris looking for spinners?

First off, I'm pretty sure the low fountain is nothing more than a forward 3 beat weave on one side into a reverse 3 beat weave on the other. The direction of the weave never changes; only yours does. So that should be believable.

As for 5 beat weaves etc., there are explanations and videos for some up in the Free Lessons on this site. Other advanced moves are described in this forum to varying degrees of clarity, but always with enthusiasm. The videos section is helpful, too.

(Of course, I'm not one to talk... I still can't ttn at all... ::mope:: ..though the 4 beat ttn video Rev found made my attempts feel much closer. )

You needn't roam the streets looking for other spinners. You can click on community and then on meet others at the top of the page and search for other spinners in your area.

Hope that helps.

E pluribus unum, baby.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
low fountain (at its most basic) is fwd 2bt to rev 2bt cross-follow (weave), in the wall plane

and seeing as i'm here...

this week at toyskool i have learnt:

with balls (which i think i love the mostest at the moment) messy back cross tennis & 531 (can get about 5 in a row now)
1 in 3 flourishes with clubs and a 441 with the 1 btb (doesn't really count though cos i only did it once ).
with poi everything is now as messy as when i first began learning, or maybe even worse - but its all gonna be badass! one day anyway...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
woohoo!

I've just moved on to a new flat where the rooms are big enough that i can practice safely indoors. no more waiting fo the rain to stop!!! anyway, last night i managed to get the 5bt weave and a scrappy btb 3bt. A coulpe of questions tho:

1) When doing the 5bt (forwards) I find that just as i'm about to change sides (say l-r) one of my poi kind of 'catches up' to the other one and makes the move look a bit messy. is there any way to avoid this?

2) my btb weave has the poi going in the same direction as a normal reverse weave (ie. anti-clockwise if your were stood on my right looking at me). Is this a forward btb or reverse btb.

hope someone can help.

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yip I can practice in my room too after putting all my furniture in one tiny corner months ago. Still can't really practice windmills though cause the roof keep provoking me.

1) Try doing the 5 beat as slowly as possible concentrating on the curl of your wrists and the move of your body to bring your left hand to the left hand side and visa versa.

2) a while ago I would have said forwards but now I'd say backwards. Hope that helps

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
3 bt weave with double staff... i think. The hand movements are the same as a 3bt with poi, pretty much, except the staff in the crossed over hand rolls over the back of the hand while you cross the other staff over to the other side... its 3 beats if you only count one end of the staff.

Oh, mr. mcmorris, i'd call that a forwards btb weave, because the poi come over your shoulders towards your hands, and the hand movements are the same as for a forward weave.

--Ben

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tenticle:
Oh, mr. mcmorris, i'd call that a forwards btb weave, because the poi come over your shoulders towards your hands, and the hand movements are the same as for a forward weave.
I'd call it the reverse BTB weave because the poi are coming over your shoulder the opposite way to what he said

Anyway, I've got the forwards BTB weave after sooo long of not getting it. w00t w00t!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Today was fantastic.
-Managed my first poi 4bt ttn today thanks to miss cass,
-Thanks to sabbas I learnt my first 3ball juggling trick- tennis (of which I am especially proud seeing as I only learnt to juggle last week after feeling a little embarassed about going to the ejc and not knowing how to juggle)
-Fishtails to the side with two short staffs thanks to meself messin about after taching some random guy whose name I can't remember how to do simple fishtails.
-Reverse of above.

All these moves are very very very very messy, look bl##dy awful, and need a helluva lot of practice, but I managed them all for the first time today...
"twists round and pats himself on the back before wandering off with a stupid smug grin"

Yay for today!
On the downside, I tried isolations and they managed to remain tantalazingly elusive.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Apemember
4 posts

Posted:
Hahaaaa

Yesterday, I went home from one party.
My pois went mad and they started to spin. And then I learned a BTB Weave - IT's EASYYYY

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Forwards isolated 3-beat weave Now for backwards and then turning

Apemember
4 posts

Posted:
HUUUUUU

Another party and another move - rev BTB Weave

It's easy to learn a new trick when you are drunk...

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
BTB WW woohoo!

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I now have ttn... after much twacking I finally got it, I just went straight into it effortlessly, Dunno how that happened. Anyways.. Happy!

Shokmember
25 posts

Posted:
Heres a new move for yall (i will soon have a video of it).....well this move is done easier from a weave.....you bring your left arm under your right arm pit and you bring your right arm around your back and to the left and swing it in the wall plane...you do alternating swings and you can also do a 360 but you have to be very flexible....there a lot more new moves but thats my favorite...watch for the video coming soon....at www.stringepeople.com

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
hahahahaha

i just nailed the fwd btb weave.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
the poi gods are shining down on me

got the 4 beat ttn, which is a true b*tch because when you mess up you handcuff yourself.

managed the butterfly weave, at least i think so because i can do lateral (wall plane) bfs and rev bfs back and forth and stuff.

btb figure 8, a little sloppy

and some nice one handed bfs to over head bfs.

so proud of me

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
the backwards ugly

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nice Mr. Cat. I'll be awaitin the Ugly workshop at next years EJC.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
woohoo finally managed to properly do btb weave (starting from reverse spinning)

now to start from forwards spinning. wonder how many months that will take

freexemember
7 posts

Posted:
A full day of POI and its helped so much!! I've learnt loads of stuff i've being trying to learn!
Of course Brovil gave me some help at Reading festival not so long ago (had my first fire burn then, so i've been praticing hard for my next go )
Anyways i've got btb 5 beat
and btb turn (kinda) yay,
as well as split time ttn.!!!!! all in one day

All i need to do now is learn them good enough to reproduce my effects p:rollsmile:

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Y not, it's bean a while.
I can now do all the things I thought I could do last time I posted in this thread Anyhow, nothing great but I’m feeling good about getting btb waist wraps fairly smooth, and with clubs I’m getting into the spiral fountain; a move I thought near impossible for me. Practice, patience and perseverance, yea

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Although no one will believe this. I think I did one of those hyper loop weave things. I was
spinning for about an hour and I was about to go home so I tried it, and I THINK it worked, I'm
not really sure, so then I tried it again, but I couldn't get it.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Thats the funny thing about hyperloops - they come and go and never look the same
Especially behind the back

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Nailed the butterfly weave properly at a party this weekend... and once that was there then turning around and moving with it just fell into place straight away

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
my first corkscrew hyperloop

LuxBRONZE Member
71 posts

Posted:
i had a truely great day yesterday, after my friend went home i stayed in the park to poi alone, ive had a few days of feeling a little frustrated with knowing the little i know and not knowing where to go, so i decided to nail the butterfly (did i mention im a newbie ) and attempt a reverse weave and got em both! *jumps* the reverse weave is VERY shaky and i cant quite stop looking like im dodging lava balls or summat but it made me happy and renewed my enthusiasm - and placated the perfectionist inside...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Last week I got the quarter-time weave, which is one hell of a bizarre move.

For no reason whatsoever, Simian and I have named it the 'Mother..... It's Cold'

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: ......