Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Yeah...we'll maybe leave that one for a bit tongue2

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I've still not got the 3 beat weave....can quite happily do what I think is the 2 beat weave, with the top hand swapping on each beat...hey, I suppose it will come with time and practise!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Top hand swapping on each beat? Do you mean that the hand that is on top is swapping over? Left on top, right on top, left on top, right on top?

A beat is a single rotation of the poi.

If your hands are swapping which is on top theres actually 3 beats per full cycle that your hands do. That is... 3 beats between when the right is on top and when the right is on top again (after having been on the bottom)

hug

NaiaSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Wow, reading the previous posts here I feel totally totally inadequate - however, thanks to the great video lesson on this site, I just did my first weave yesterday, and I was rapt!!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well done!

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

NaiaSILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonTop hand swapping on each beat? Do you mean that the hand that is on top is swapping over? Left on top, right on top, left on top, right on top?

If your hands are swapping which is on top theres actually 3 beats per full cycle that your hands do. That is... 3 beats between when the right is on top and when the right is on top again (after having been on the bottom)

Phew, thanks for that explanation... the weave is new to me, and I was meaning to try to find what the differences were, just to check on which I was doing. You've answered my question, and I'm doing a 3-beat weave. Yay!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
smile Nice one.

Understanding the beats and counting beats will make a lot more sense later on.

If you want to count the beats now, do a 3 beat weave motion with one poi and just have your other arm mimic the action, count how many rotations there are before you end up where you started.

Glad I could help, Naia.

hug

keb84stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonTop hand swapping on each beat? Do you mean that the hand that is on top is swapping over? Left on top, right on top, left on top, right on top?

Ooh! That means I'm doing a three beat weave without realising it!
Thanks...that's made my day!

MelissaRhaeI have dibbs on Zack Attack
11 posts

Posted:
I was just watching a video on how to do a two beat weave and a three beat weave and I just realized that my two beat weave that I was so proud of is actually a three beat weave. Silly beginner poi spinner I am lol

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

ChrissssEH!!stranger
5 posts

Posted:
-giggle- well, after figuring out a whole bunch of moves.. like, cork screw, windmill, chasing the sun(or shoulder reels), mexican wave [why the hell is it called mexian wave?], butterfly, over the head butterfly, alternating butterfly, as well as three beat forward weave and the start of hip reels.

I learned... 3 beat backwards! that was the hardest thing ever! yet I can do all this other stuff lol!!

-giggle-

though it's been said many times and many ways....

the cute ones are always the ones who'll kill you.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going people.

As a general suggestion, learn everything all the ways it goes. So if you can corkscrew one way, learn it the other way too.

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
I'm obviously WAY behind here lol

My ragged 2 beat weave is, well, ragged and I really can't get my head round the 3 beat!!

I'll persevere though!! I have a weekend of very little coming up so it'll be poi in the garden when not watching the British and Irish Lions play South Africa!! grin

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Bear1970, cos it makes sense to compare your progress with the rest of the world. tongue2

hug

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Oh it does I know!! wink lol My tongue was firmly in cheek I promise!! smile

And please, call me Bear!! wink Only my mum calls me Bear1970 and that's just when she's annoyed!! grin

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Keep going. Maybe your country's rugby will get better too. wink

:idle whistle:

11 posts

Posted:
ok i am a dork. My two beat weave was a two beat weave not a three beat weave. how i got them mixed up, well I was looking at myself do teh two beat weave in my head so yeah that was my issue. But now I am proud to say I can do two beat and three beat forward and backwards with either hand leading. I think so far the backwards stuff was really hard to learn not becasue I didn't understand it but trying to get my arms to do what I wanted them to do lol. But the most trouble I had was two beat weave backwards with my right hand leading. My left arm wanted to lead not follow so i am lucky i use soft poi otherwise i woudl be black and blue lol

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

11 posts

Posted:
ok this is prob really bad since this site has learn how videos, but this is where I leaned my begginer moves ( like this week seriously)nathaniel really breaks it down and even over exagerated moves so that you can see how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/NathanielEverist

Also Nick woosley is also a great teacher. These two will have you spinning like a pro. you just have to get your arms to do what you head tells it to. ( that is my issue sometimes lol)
https://www.youtube.com/user/meenik

I hope this helps

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonKeep going. Maybe your country's rugby will get better too. wink

:idle whistle:

LMAO!! We can but hope Aston!! We can but hope!! I won't go into a frustrated match analysis here!! wink

Originally Posted By: MelissaRhaeok this is prob really bad since this site has learn how videos, but this is where I leaned my begginer moves ( like this week seriously)nathaniel really breaks it down and even over exagerated moves so that you can see how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/NathanielEverist

Also Nick woosley is also a great teacher. These two will have you spinning like a pro. you just have to get your arms to do what you head tells it to. ( that is my issue sometimes lol)
https://www.youtube.com/user/meenik

I hope this helps

Cool smile I'll have a look at those tonight!!

On related notes I bought my niece and nephew a set of poi each a couple of weeks ago and they're both enjoying playing with them!! My nephew (17.5yrs) is going great guns and looks to be a natural!! grin

DerwynLightworker
88 posts

Posted:
I did fire tonight for the first time!!!! It was the most amazing feeling ever!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
grin

Glad it went well Derwyn.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
This week:

Finally got a BTB 3 beat weave the other day (about time)... Been trying that on and off for ages, moaning and grumbling that I can't do them. I finally spent some time on it the other day and think I have it now. Started working on the hand movements of the BTB 5 beat so I don't end up getting stuck in a 3bt pattern, making it harder in future.

Managed to get down reverse 5 beat weave too after AGES of hitting myself and failing, all it took was a slight hand ajustment.

Been experimenting with stalls too, have just learned to go from TTN, stall/wrap(?) on arms and flick out into a hyperloop. Got orbitals a little tighter, having swivles has made them last LOADS longer, enabling me to move them around my body too.

Been toying with split time opposite flowers and throws/whip catches too.

But my biggest achievement lately has been normal and antispin isolated buzzsaw flowers.

Am planning on lighting up for the first time tomorrow, am really looking forwards to it, a little nervous, but I think it would be a bit irrisponcible not to be. Just going to stick with the basics to start off with, if I get confident I may try some more advanced stuff (for me anyway)... We shall see how it goes smile
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1246926284)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

KiwidoBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I am so proud! I learned the 5-Beat-weave yesterday. Well, the poi tended to hit delicate parts :-) and sometimes went a bit "out of round", but it is a 5-Beat-Weave! Yeah!!!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: KiwidoI am so proud! I learned the 5-Beat-weave yesterday. Well, the poi tended to hit delicate parts :-) and sometimes went a bit "out of round", but it is a 5-Beat-Weave! Yeah!!! Awesome... I love 5bt weaves grin

Keep at it and you will get it smooth.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

ChrissssEH!!stranger
5 posts

Posted:
-giggles cutely- I can do doubles, shoulder reels and hip reels... like they're nothing! -giggles cutely more- it is new, trust me! I know know the name of what I do! -giggles insanely cutely and runs off to play with her poi-

though it's been said many times and many ways....

the cute ones are always the ones who'll kill you.

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Just about getting the hang of take outs now though my left side is still very, very poor!! lol

3 beat weave is remaining elusive *sigh*

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You've probably read this already because I think I post it just about every time someone can't get the 3 beat...

But can you do the 2 beat with each hand on top?

If so, just try going from your least natural hand on top and swapping over to the most natural hand on top (This will require an extra beat)

If that fails, I have other tips...

Is there a need for a 3 beat weave tutorial? I don't know how comprehensive the ones out there are... I'm happy to make one if someone feels that I could create a more comprehensive tutorial than what is already available.

hug

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
There is a 3 Beat Weave tutorial video on here but the guy spins so fast it's hard for me to really get what he's doing!! lol

And I'm not sure what you mean by the hand on top thing either!! grin

I frustrate myself sometimes. lol

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Do the 2 beat. Look at your hands... one hand will ALWAYS be on top. If its changing then its a 3 beat.

hug

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
I'll have a ponder next time I have my poi out!! grin Which could potentially be tonight if I get along to Spinning@ for the first time!! Scary thought!! New people and all that!!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Go! Someone can help you there, I'm sure!

I need to buy a new camera charger so I can start making tutorials again.

hug