Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > iexperimentation with wraps...i love 'em!!

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
All this talk about neck wraps and arm wraps has got me trying them lately and i finally have a small series of them down...pretty basic, but i am excited so bear with me..Forward butterfly,right poi wraps left arm,as i come out of it, left poi wraps right armwhile at the same time i drop right poi and wrap my right leg just above the knee.Then when they both come out i am in a reverse butterfly...i am still practicing throwing the right poi behind my back and wrapping my left arm. I tend to hit myself in the back of the head alot. Any suggestions for that? and a way of incorporating it with the wraps sequence i am already doing..??Thanks Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
When you are putting the poi behind your back to wrap it over your other shoulder, it may be easier to start it off by doing a forward butterfly, wrapping it on your other arm then putting your hand behind your backwhen it starts on the downswing, then stick your other arm out a bit, and hopefully it will wrap around your upper arm. That's the way i learnt how to do it anyways.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
THANKS ES! I shall work on it.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

BioPodmember
2 posts

Posted:
welp.. about the warps any chance of seein them n a movie or animated gifs?that would be better than explaining in words smile./BioPod

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
BioPod, there is footage of wraps in the video on this page:https://www.theglasslab.com/bigvidsScroll down to the bottom, and should see a link to the glowstick video.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thats the video that made mewant to start doing wraps...the guy James is pretty good.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Yeah that James guy inspired me to do wraps too. Now I can do heaps of wraps, they're a major part of my twirling when im using glowsticks. I just love em smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
*that* guy won a competition?some of his wraps are cool, but really!! He didnt do STACKS of stuff.I liked the jump sticks between the legs, but really.some of the videos on this site are a lot better.how does this guy compare to the ppl who glowstick in your area?McKentuckyfriedSupreme

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Chicken, just keep in mind it wasn't a poi competition. Was a general skill-toys type thing. I think he was the only one to do poi, and most of the people there hadn't seen stuff like that done before (myself included, at least in terms of that particular kind of impacting wraps).The photon performance right under the glowstick one got second place, and Gary Longoria got third place with a juggling / diabolo routine. If you're curious, Gary's performance (and both of James's with different lighting) are here (under the Gonzo division):https://www.yoyoing.com/sector_y/

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
in my area...there arent too many people that spin glowsticks, let alonr POI. Put it this way, when i go to a club, and i see someone spinning, i like to take their cookies....only if they call me out.Ive been standing with strings and sticks in my hands watching someone spin. They were ok i guess. Then ive had them call me out cause they saw me holding a set in my hands. Ill spin out a few moves, but then you always get the ass that walks into the cirlce while your spinning and begins to do this bad ass move. Problem is, thats the only move he can do, his second problem is, i can do it better. I loves battles. Its like a mini competition. I have pulled some crazy tricks (for me) while in a circle with 50 people watching just because of the pump i get from it.Heres the sad part....compared to 80% of the people on this board, i suck. Jo Derry...jesus that fool pulls moves outta his butt like it is nothing.ahhh i aspire to be.Half the time when i go to raves, and clubs, i end up in a battle. Im not really looking for it, but thats the only time you can spin with other people. But then there is a common respect when it breaks up. Then i spend the next 30 min.- 1hr. teaching people new moves. But ive stated before, i love teaching people new moves. Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Battles can be a lot of fun, but i find that most of those i'm in are too short since few people spin glowsticks (not to mention fire smile) around where i live, and those that do have just picked up a few tricks. Knowing how to use poi is a little bit of a cheap shot as far as the battle is concerned, since the poor folks who jump into a circle to show you up don't know what they're getting themselves into...The other plus with battles is that they're a LOT of fun to watch, and they increase intrest in spinning.Coincidently, i'm battling tomorrow with a few friends at a party and am really looking forward to it. If i pick up anything new i promise i'll share wink

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
i went to a party at Buzz in DC last friday. Me and another guy battled for almost an hour and a half, back and forth. We had a HUGE circle. Everything he did, i tried. He blew me away, but there were things i could do that he could not. We learned from eachother and went our ways. I learned a lot, as did he. Then i went to a party in roanoke, VA, on satI saw some people swinging, and went over. A friend of mind asked me to show some moves, but another dude broke in before i had a chance. He could only do a corkscrew and windmill and weave. he did it for about 5 min, then i whipped out my sticks, and went out there, I amazed the crowd for about 20 min, and in the middle of the set, i had some unbroken sticks on the OTHER end (handles) of my strings, that i broke open on the ground while spinning. This guy acted all pissy, and tried to grab them while i was untangling them. I was like hold on. He was an ass. THen, he got them, and made a fool of himself. I showed him up and he didn't like it. I was just doing things for fun, and to the beat of the music. It was so fun. some of the set i did with eyes closed. At the end, i did a forward swing, while my friend walked towards me, he got the rythm, and grabbed the sticks, passing them off to him, then i backed off and let him have a go. I had a very fun time.i spent about 4 hours doing this on fri, and sat each day.mmmm, addicted to poi

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17