Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Here's an easily adaptable butterfly combo that's so easy I can already hear you guys groaning "Yes, but can you do it backwards, hopping up&down on one foot while priming plastic explosives ... ?"I find it helps if you work in 4/4 time and count the beats in your mind:Start with a forward butterfly at face hight(count 1-2-3-4, 'flap' on each count) then split the butterfly (count 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and), then alternate the split butterfly infront and behind your head, aka vertical corkscrew (count 1-2-3-4). Finish with a split butterfly behind the head (1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and)...Now reverse - go from behind-the-head split butterfly to corkscrew (NOT windmill!!), to infront-of-head split butterfly ...The move is not entirely unlike 'the fountain'- instead of going from side to front to other side and back with a weave, you are spinning infront, alternating, and at back with a butterfly.Once you have established a good flow, both forward and back, and can go from split butterfly to corkscrew seemlessly you can spice up the move by incorporating a bar or two of in-time butterflies at both the 'front' and 'back' end of the sequences.Adding a two or three spin 'hold-over' to the corkscrew can both flesh out the sequence and tailor it to whatever style/beat count you need.It's a 'body' move that calls attention to the dancer, head and torso are well lit up as poi are swinging close to the body. Because of the overhead moves and lighting this one is particularly well suited to people with muscular builds/body paint/great boobs/or all of the above ...Notes: You might want to wear goggles or something because split butterfly behind the head is a bit of a bastard - I panelled myself in the eye at about 60% of full tilt! Eina!Know the difference between vertical corkscrew and windmill! Also note how you can can do the Corkscrew as either a split alternating butterfly (flap-flap,flap-flap), or a true corkscrew turning out your wrists and eliminating the 'flapping' element entirely to get a smooth alternating rotation ...Hope this isn't to easy for y'all ...Bish the DingFahrenheit 451

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Bish--I'm confused. With the butterfly, your chains are going in opposite directions. With the corkscrew, they're going in the same direction. How do you work the corkscrew in? Apart from that, it seems that what you are describing is the "alternate butterfly combo" from the poi lessons section on this site.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Howzit !Ok, I was prepared for this:Have a look at the 'corkscrew' and the 'windmill, giant windmill'. Almost identical moves except that in one the poi move in the same direction (windmill) and in the other they are moving in different directions (corkscrew).I had this whole big issue when trying to learn the giant windmill- I thought you could go from a vertical corkscrew into the giant windmill - You can't because, as you pointed out, the poi are going in different directions !!It's not a problem to go from corkscrew to overhead-infront butterfly, but how to do it from a windmill is the subject of another thread ...I think our problem here is language, so for all intents and purposes, the difference between a corkscrew (DIFFERENT directions) and a windmill (SAME directions) is vital.If I've got it backwards I hope you can still figure it out ...Well yes, it is sort of like the b.fly.combo, except that it is performed at the same station/height (infront and behind head) with no change in altitude. Also, left and right hand are mostly in-time, not a 1/2 beat out like the b.fly.combo.In fact, it's *nothing* like the alt.b.fly.combo, that's in reverse b.fly, I'm talking forward ...Did I manage to confuse anyone else ?Bish

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Now that I think of it, you should be able to do the combo at head height and at waist height - (use wave at waist instead of corkscrew)If you split the moves you should get a "double-twin-alternate-butterfly combo"Do lo- then hi- then hi/giant- to get back to lo-It's 24 beats at 1 bar per move which splits nicely into 6 fours, 12 twos, 3 eighths, or 8 threes !!!I don't even want to do the math for split time ... !

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
what the F#?you lost me too.show me on tuesday?thanxo-o