Forums > Social Chat > 10 Year glowsticks?!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
anyone seen these before?

if they work, they'd be fantastic!
i think they're more likely to be too good to be true though. no batteries or bulbs and a ten year glow?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
they glow but they're very very tiny. 4.5cm long and they don't glow brightly enough to be effective as poi.

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
maybe a couple of them could be bunched together for a better effect?

or even strung into a chain?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Well the concept seems plausible. I have a feeling they probably do last for 10 days, but they probably wont be nearly as bright as regular glowsticks or LED products, but brighter then the regular long life glow products were used to (those glow stickers you put on the ceiling) The only other long life glowing material is tritium which is fairly expensive and puts off small amounts of radiation, although it's harmless in small application (like coating the numbers on a watch face with tritium, something you see in a lot of high price analog watches, although it's dissapearing with timexes indiglo being sold to many other watch companies)

Theres a couple of other radio active materials that glow which are far more harmful then tritium and I really doubt you would ever see them in consumer level products in any first world country.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
or maybe a whole bunch of them could be made to make a almost chain mail-esque like set of clothing , which would look neat before you actually break your glowsticks or light up your lights (especially if it's really dark)

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Um, it said these things last for 10 YEARS Astar, not 10 days. Was that a typo?
I looked at the website, and they seem ok, if you got enough of em, you could attach like four on each chain or something, and then swing em. Could be cool, but overall expensive. 4x14 pounds, all multiplied by 2? Thats alot. And its only available in the UK tho... Sucks for us Canadians. IF only we were still a dominion of Great Britain. Sigh

Noir_DDELUX

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It was a typo

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Yep, the site says 10 years, alright.

Here's the science bit (lifted tooth and claw from the website, naughty I know, but hey ..)

"Each traser is a small hollow glass tube, which has been internally coated with a phosphorous material, injected with a special gas and then sealed by a laser. The gas inside the tube excites the phosphor, which creates a cold light that will glow for ten years without any external power source. "

If I had to take a guess (and I will) I'd say that the gas mentioned is a very slightly radioactive one such as Radon or some sort of other noble gas isotope type thingy.

Good idea tho, but I'd say that they probably loose their intensity over the 10 year life span.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
These are better known as Beta lights and can be found way more cheaply at fishing stores where they are used as lures.

Be warned, they are very fragile, being made of phosporescent glass filled with tritium and glow from the radioactive decay.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
glow from the radioactive decay.

does that mean ill start growing an extra eye and a convenient third arm?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think they're way way to expensive, the battery powered LED ones on here are much better value and look sharp as hell :-)

Let's relight this forum ubblove

-[ld50]-member
27 posts

Posted:
I agree the battery powered LED sticks are great, but have a look at the krill lamps here .
A bit pricey, but I might take a trip to the shop to check 'em out in the flesh...

It's just a ride...

zeuyaBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
the krill lamps look really cool, but my only worry with things like that is, you spend a fortune on them and one day the thing flies off in the middle of spinning and either hits someone and or smashes into a billion pieces. if a glow stick came off, its only like a quid for a new one bot thise are like 20 quid each, and some how i doubt are designed to be spun at high speed.
.... they do look really cool though!

-[ld50]-member
27 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean - £20 a lamp is loads , I'll be reseving judgement til I've actually seen one in the shop - hopefully this weekend.

It's just a ride...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Krill lamps break pretty easily - in terms of poi at least. There are probably ways to make them tougher though.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

-[ld50]-member
27 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by vanize:
Krill lamps break pretty easily - in terms of poi at least. There are probably ways to make them tougher though.
Boo!
There was me thinking impact resistant implied a bit of toughness I guess I could still use 'em to light my way at free parties!

It's just a ride...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
they last a while, but not long enough to make them cheaper than glowsticks.

you want something tough? try Glo-Toobs
these things are tough as nails. they have a few drawbacks (like they'll crack your skull if you don't watch it), but they are the best LED units I have found yet for spinning. Put some clear rubber hose (surgical tubing type) around them to make them less dangerous.

[ 13. November 2003, 11:59: Message edited by: vanize ]

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
quote:
does that mean ill start growing an extra eye and a convenient third arm?

I wouldn't worry too much Dentrassi; I've been hanging around in a radioactive isotope lab for a few years and still can't cling to walls and look like crap in Lycra.

I feel that my comics have been lying to me all this time.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.