Forums > Social Chat > The Yankees win! The-uh-uh-uh-Yankees win!

Login/Join to Participate

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I just couldn't keep it to myself today.

Its a great day to be a Yankee fan!

Raph

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes, once again American Ideals have won. The team with the most money bought yet another pennant.

Well hidden by the sports media under hype of 'curses' and 'rivalries' it has come down again, to the team who bought the best players beating the teams who didn't have the money.

All those idiots thoughout the world buying Yankee hats who've never seen a game, nor could name four players on the team supporting a hundred year old monopoly in what is naively called a 'game'.

The only thing worse than the Yankees winning every year, is their fans... who tune in for the last 10 minutes of game 7 just to watch Derek Jeters butt wiggle. And then wear the stupid hat because it's popular.

I've seen more Yankees hat TODAY then I've seen all year combined. Because cowardly Yankee fans don't proclaim their allegance until after they've won.

The Yankees are one of the few reasons that make me embarrassed to be from New York.

And now we get to watch a world series where the all star Yankees beat the hell out of the bad news bears in 5 games because nobody has enough money to buy a pitching rotation as deep as the Yankees.

And then the idiots in the SUVs with the yankee stickers get to yell out the windows how "we" won.

If the Yankees played St. Mary's Private School JV baseball team, you bet there'd be yankee fans at the game throwing bottles at the nuns.

And I get another week of no Simpsons because drunken idiots from Staten Island have to watch Goliath beat David for the 27th time.

GOOOOO YANKEEEEEE$$$!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
come over to england..... its pretty much illegal to wear your team colours let alone shout of the window that "we won".. although we just don't do that because its stupid....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah... because sports fans in England are MUCH more civilized.

Oh yeah... some data to prove my point:
# of people who are wearing Yankees stuff that I spoke to so far today: 12
# of those same people who stayed up to watch them win game 7 in the bottom of the 11th inning: 2

Yeah... that's dedication.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I agree, there are tons of fair weather fans who can barely name 4 players on the active roster of the team.
They ARE annoying, no doubt about it!

I've been a fan since I was a kid, got to watch Reggie work his magic in the late 70's, then agonized through the 80's when they couldn't do much except make bad trades and worse contracts.

So, ever since the mid 90's I have been enjoying the kind of results that my mother and my uncle used to enjoy back in the 40's and 50's when the New York Yankees, Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants kicked each other's butts almost every World Series.

Yep, the Yanks have the biggest payroll in baseball, but they also live in the biggest single market for it.

There are many examples of teams that spend big $ without results. The Mets have the 2nd biggest payroll and they stunk up the field this past year.

One thing you can't buy is heart. Being down 5-3 in the bottom of the 8th inning and having the tenacity to come back is what has given the Yanks 26 world series victories.
Since the bulk of those wins came long before the money got crazy in baseball, it can't be true to say that its only been a matter of money.
After living abroad since '93 there is nothing that could make me embarrased to be from New York.

Professional sports as a whole are out of control. Players get ridiculous amounts of money to play a game which they should be paying the fans for watching!

The fact that my sport still has "amateur" status in the States means that even though I have been in the top 10 since in the US since '94 and in the top for 8 of those years, I still have a tough time finding sponsors to help me break even.

But none of these things will stop me rooting for the one team I support.

Raph

elise_bmember
104 posts

Posted:
florida wins!!! heheheh Marlins

Catch a Fire-Bob Marley

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
The Twins should have beaten them, that would have been perfect. Instead they win the first game than roll over and play dead. Oh well, I'll still love them, we'll be back in the world series some day soon.

oh espn.com haha, that tells you how clueless I am, I didn't even know who really won. I still stand by my original statement, the Twins should have beat the Yanks early on.

[ 27. October 2003, 06:33: Message edited by: Jello ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Where did all the Yankee hats go? There were tons of them out walking the streets all week long and today... none! Hrmmm...

Now if only the Giants or Jets could find an offence I'd have someone to cheer for...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
First of all, congrats to the Marlins!
It was an exciting World Series with a little bit of everything. Bottom line is: they outplayed my Yankees.
This win will be good for baseball unless they gut the team like they did after winning in '97. Bud Selig must be pissed right now.

With Karsay coming back from injury next season, hopefully the Yanks can put together a better bullpen. That was a huge difference this year..

After looking through various online groups it amazes me how many people talk trash about the Yankees. Whats the problem?

Is it the salary?

They play in the biggest market in the US, why does it surprise anybody that they can afford to sign good players?

The 1997 Orioles had the highest salary in baseball and didn't make the World Series. The Braves have had a big payroll and shown that regular season success does not translate into post-season victory.
Money doesn't equal championships. You can't buy the heart it took to come back from a 5-2 deficit against the Red Sox in game 7 of the ALCS.
Besides, the Yankees were a great team long before salaries in professional sports went crazy.

In terms of buying the best talent, thats what other teams do too. The Red Wings have done this for years, although nobody gets on them for it.
Many of the Yanks best players ARE home-grown anyhow. Soriano, Jeter, Johnson.. A good farm system is key.

If your favorite team trades its best players for a small coke and a chili dog, don't blame the Yankees. Blame the front office and/or the greedy owner of your team for not being willing to pony up the cash to try and put something together.

In the 80's, the Yankees couldn't get much going at all. They overpaid for a few players and didn't make the most of what they had. With Torre and Cashman things have been a bit different.

I don't like Steinbrenner either and Clemens is a goon.

Raph