Forums > Social Chat > 2 years of healing, the story of a bent leg!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
It is with a heavy heart and a broken leg that share with my lovely fire family that i will not be able to twirl anything for at least a year ubbcrying obviously, this completely changes my lifestyle! no acro, no doofs, and certainly no sandworm riding.

as it stands, my right tibia and fibia had cracked backwards and displaced before impacting at a bad angle - the only way my foot is connected to the rest of the skeleton is via a metal rod that connects most of the length of my tibia bone via screws. Even putting any weight at all on my legs is out of the question for ages..

it's gotten a bit hard to be chirpy now that i can't stand or care for myself, but at least my friends/missus come to visit and listen to my tales of woe beerchug.

just to youse know in case yer wondering why i'll be dropping off the radar.

thanks go out to pyroptix and captn_shiner for being my rescuers - your kindess was incredible. peace

*** EDIT for xrayness ***

before surgery (the blob is the plaster) and after the rod is inserted.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

ye ouch.

EDITED_BY: bender™ (1123804916)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
no acro no doofs awwww dude that sucks how come for a year thats like forever surely ull be a fast healer and be all good an healed in time for earthcore. just think positively ull be suprised what the mind can do.

when i broke my hand i has devistated it was my right hand two and i was all nOOOOooooOOOOoOoooOOoOooOOooOoo give or take an o cos i was told i wouldnt be able to twirl for months but then i discovered i have another hand and it made me finally learn to twirl with my left hand.

dont believe what the drs tell u as far as heal time goes i was told 2 months for the bones to heal and then a few more weeks for it to set, 2 weeks after i broke it i got it xrayed again and the dr couldnt see where i broke it originally.

on the bright side u still have both ur hands so u can be a wheelchair twirler, just dont get one of those electric ones or ull never want to walk again
my vibes, in your general

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Wow! Look at all the people sending their hugs and stuff out to you - how lucky are you...

Can I tell you my story Bender? Cause I can sympathise pretty well at the moment...!
On Monday morning at the Australian Uni Titles (I play rugby for UNE) I got taken out in an illegal tackle whilst in the air jumping for a ball - My knee cap was fractured in two places and dislocated three times (once in the air, once as I hit the ground and other players landed on me and once when I tried to put weight on it in the training room later), I've torn three major muscles/tendons and my knee cap is sitting dislodged as we speak on some damaged tendons and cant be moved til the swelling goes down... The girl who did it hasnt apologised yet and I missed out on my first national games that I've been training for 18 months for.... sigh...
The plan for me now is to wait until the swelling goes down (it seems to resemble a bowling ball attached to my knee right now!), have my knee re-dislocated, then they will look at surgery to repair the damage and a whole lot of physio and stuff to get it working again - at the moment it's stuck in almost a 45 degree angle with all the pressure in it... It is driving me CRAZY!!!!
I cant cope being bed bound!
Valura is SO right - crying definitely helps a lot - I have cried more in this last five days than I have in my whole life I think... A lot from disappointment I think, pain I can cope with, but I am so upset that it has come at this time for me!
I arrived back at college (where I live on the third floor!) today and will be going into the hospital every morning for the next week or so before the surgery/treatment...So it will be interesting I'd say!
Looks like I'll be out for at least 6-8 months as well....So if you come up with any new brilliant activities to keep your mind active, pass them my way too cause I reckon I'll be needing them too!! hehe
Hope you're feeling a tonne better already, I'm thinkin' of you!
Keep your head up and keep smilin' cause there's an awful lot of people who seem to care an awful lot about you!

Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

Flynt told me you had hurt yourself, but I didn't know it was this serious until I read this.

Come to Mardi Gras, pet. We will wheel you up and down Oxford Street in a wheelbarrow. And lavish attention upon you.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:

I know of another cat who was told by the docs there would be no spinning for at least a year. He stayed incredibly upbeat and possitive throughout the ordeal and ended up nearly as good as new in 3 months.

Will yourself better, dude. prove them wrong. HOP won't be the same without you.

And, hey, at least you have an excuse to stay in and watch England win the world cup

Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im soo sorry to hear that . maybe be you can learn magic tricks Or something .

May all your hop 's be happy ones .

Sending you lot's of lovely puk healing powers

Hope your feeling better soon .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

6,978 posts

Posted:
hey youse caring sweeties! you are the silver lining that keep my mind off the pain with your wonderful compassion!!

the incredible (quasi teary) feelin i get from you heartfelt messages has definitely made a difference to my day-to-day coping skills! (all i needed was a tricle and you all gave me a flood!)

again, ima humbled and not a little teary eyed, HoP, i love yooooooooOOO!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:

that doesn't sound good at all

I made some mini 'sitting down at the computer' sized flags for alice a few weeks ago, who's also buggered up her leg, perhaps i should send you a set

[ 04. October 2003, 05:00: Message edited by: flid ]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh NOOOOOOO!!!! Poor thing!

Heal quickly! And stay on HOP. It wouldn't be the same without our dear Bender.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
where've you been lately mike? you used to be way more addicted than you are now

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:

[ 04. October 2003, 15:58: Message edited by: TEMPEST ]

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
as i heard a little of this from the boys over at oztrance i knew it was bad but not this bad

no earthcore. well not unless we get ya a off road wheelchair (hmm let me see about that) was so looking forward to having a spin with you there

re spining how far up is the knee braced?? or how far will it be when the swelling is down more maye look at using a bar stool. may have to modify some of your moves but it will help stop total withdrawrals from not being able to spin

look after youself mate and dont spend to much time with the whole computer next to bed thing or you will fully fark your back up

oh yeah and start oding on the milk to help with the calcium mate

heal well and stager
blair

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ouch. Sorry to hear that Bender. You've been one the biggest inspirations to me from this board, and some of your videos have gotten me started on trying to learn some of that crazy acro stuff. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be taken out of it for a while... BUT hey maybe now I can catch up to ya.

Get well ASAP man! You're in my thoughts.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:

Hope you heal quickly. Thats awful news

Much love
Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MozyBRONZE Member
*.. If ya can't be Good, Be Good at it..*
147 posts

Posted:
Oh Noooooo the Bender has falling... So sad that you damaged your tibia and fibia man... I can feel ya pain.... Cause i have damaged my knee, not as bad as you tho but i kinda know how it feels. I was really looking forward to meet you Bender cause im coming down to MelBourne for "Rainbow Serpent" and hoping that you were going to be there.

Never know you might be there, never say DIE. BIG to ya little twirler and in no time you'll be back playing with the passion that we all share & love "FIRE"

Sending all my Energy your way

Mozy/Trix

watching the world go by!!!!

Trick ferret on the making hehe!!!!
Everybodyknows me as (TriX)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Shit mate! That sucks a lot...

I was soo looking forward to hooking up with you at Earthcore for some first rate fwirlage...now it looks like I'm going to have to wait a whole lot longer :/

bummer dude.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
awwwww, bendywendypoo,
that's like when neo was punchin the agent, but then the agent punches him up real good, and he starts spittin up blood and convulsin, but then trinity starts ripping up her shirt and givin him some lovin so it's okay. it's exactly just like that. almost. except your not getting punched literally just figuratively and there's probably not a big sharp metal stick in the back of your head. you know it's just a metaphor.

man i hate it when my pals get hurt and can't do their thing. but i know you will make the best of it, just don't let the body get worn down from all that sitting! don't forget visualization is a very useful practice form. and psychedelics are fourth dimensional, travel by leg is not necessary.
my prayers go with you, just don't forget you could go to the outback and the aborigines could sing to your leg and make you better in a few days. just remember that when the doctor smiles and hands you a bill. you can think to yourself, "thanks mister watered down technological replacement for natural human powers, i'll get you that money right away." or not, that might be a tad bit sassy and perhaps even antisocial. or maybe i'm just talking to myself too much here. is it funny though?

shine on brother

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
and the first thing i thought of was that you could play with contact juggling but i won't even mention it cause that would be redundant and i hate redundancy. really i don't like it.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
take care of yourself!! now im going to try to cheer you up by posting stupid comments on your website.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
i hope you make as speedy a recovery as is humanly possible. there's not really much left that hasn't been said, but i just hope that you keep your spirits up, and enjoy life to the max. I look forward to hopefully meeting you sometime next year and have you teach me a thing or two of your masterful twirling You're Joy of Staff is an inspiration, and clearly you are well loved by those who know you.
peace and love
Dylan

people are people

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Bender my friend, I think I speak for a great many people here when I say you've been a big inspiration to us and even in this time of adversity you continue to inspire us.

Though you can't spin for a short while (and believe me it flies by... especially if you play Jedi Academy computer game), we will gladly pick up the energy you've left in the air and house it for you until you want it back.

In the meantime, definitely try out some of the things others in this thread have mentioned... keeping busy and not letting it get you down is important, as is remembering that it's just temporary. You'll no doubt see improvement quickly as you move up from the ground into a wheelchair, then up onto crutches (the highlight of which is being able to pee unassisted!), then maybe a cane for a while, and then finally you'll be risen up and WALKIN again, my child!

Though we're worlds apart, you can definitely let me know if you ever need anything sent your way from my zone... perhaps some Minicons would do the trick? Or perhaps a custom-made achey breaky staff for when you get better (my engineering skills ROCK)? PM me and we'll iron out the details.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I want updates!!!

dont drop off the map, pleeeeeeeeese!

dude im sending you so much love right now, and a crysknife, as soon as i catch this pesky worm....

*thump* *thump* *thump*

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
just make sure you dont tear your stillsuit.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

6,978 posts

Posted:
okay my firey siblings,
here's the update - in finally got to peek at my xrays - what happened was that the tibia and fibia snapped in the middle, displacing the loower half of my shin backwards so that the top half of the tibia smashed into the bottom half of my fibia, further snapping the lower half of the fibia into half again.
the bone will never be the same shape again, as there is a chipped piece of tibia jutting out at the break and the fibia will fuse in a slightly bent shape from it's two breaks, so much so that there the second screw in my ankle had to be long enough to connect the base of the tibia and fibia together. what had the doctors worry were the 3 large golfball sized blood blisters on a tender part of my calf - they had to ultrasound it to rule out deep vein thrombosis.

it wasn't until i saw the xrays did i realise that the medicos were dead serious when they called it a serious break.. it at least puts the paaaaaain into perspective.

so the outlook is: 4 more weeks until i can put even a slight weight on my left leg...

the painkillers are quite tasty (if a bit drooowsyfying) but the caaaaaaabin fever setting in hardcore tho(!)

thank yoo all from the bottom of my mechanical heart for your compassion!

(btw the real bender is 40% titanium, i am now less than 1% tatanium woot for emulating your heroes)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yay for the twirling tinman!!!

I know the cabin fever bit, im stuck in one and im not even ill. Keep positive my friend, youll be right.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

love ya, bender-boy!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
wow hard core, keep your chin up bender... excercise your mind with many meditations...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Was it in any way caused by some lunatic running about on some rocks whirling poi round his head like i saw on my tv?

Meh

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:
(btw the real bender is 40% titanium, i am now less than 1% tatanium woot for emulating your heroes)
Keep up the good work, hon. A titanium plate in your head would work wonders towards getting you closer to that 40%.... or maybe retractable titanium claws! Or a new spine that goes all clinkety-clunk when you dance.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Flameflingermember
27 posts
Location: A mythical continent of fire and brimstone. (Oh an...

Posted:
aaah ****....
This really has brought a tear to mai eye.

I log on to HoP for the first time in many weeks, and my hero has fallen.
I regret that i never came down to edinburgh to leech off your knowledge.
I regret that those of us in awe over Joy of Staff must wait alot longer before we can enjoy a second installment.
But mostly i empathize with you.
:sad smile:
f_kity f_k f_k.

get well soon b.
Mitch

We are all in the gutter. But some of us are trying to set it alight...You can't be a proper country without a beer. Possibly an airline and a rugby team, but at the very least you need a beer.Eat Well, Stay Fit, Die Anyway

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:

Page: