Forums > Beginner Staff Moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Posted: by
Last Reply by
Views: 122,472    Replies: 34
"Definative version at: http://mcp.tepookatoys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=216&Itemid=11So you wanna learn to spin staff?1) get a staff to practise with. Po..."
Last Reply by
Views: 51,688    Replies: 19
"Definative version here: Firestaff-Tutorials.co.uk So you wanna learn double staff?1) get two staffs to practise with. Possibly you aready have one, now you need two. Any bits of metal ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,598    Replies: 22
"G'day all!I'm new to HomeOfPoi and twirling in general though I've picked up the basics pretty quickly I'm happy to say. Anyhoo I noticed mention a couple of times from people about mar..."
Views: 6,118    Replies: 0
"How to keep the momentum? I do 2-4 continous half-steves, but then its turning very slow. How to gain/lose momentum/ speed ?"
Views: 1,238    Replies: 0
""
Last Reply by
Views: 4,988    Replies: 5
"Hello everyone! I'm new to this! My name's Lucan and I'm from Australia!I recently purchased a 6 light contacts flow staff and was looking for someone to help me with finding the style ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,518    Replies: 16
"I just thought I'd make a useless post gushing about my new grips. For my doubles I previously was just using a couple of layers of regular old PVC electrical tape. This tended to get r..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,657    Replies: 3
"Hey y'all! I just signed up for this forum. I am a total noob and I wanted to say hey to everyone! I am in Poland. I was introduced to spinning a few years back at Burning Man and other..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,888    Replies: 16
"I have a couple of questions that are probably more of a female concern for contact staff and was hoping for some advice (men can answer too of course) that has to do with body movement..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,258    Replies: 11
"Okay, so I just bought a fire staff and I'm beginning to learn it. I just had a few questions--How often should I practice with it?Are there any good text tutorials? Video is bad for my..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,519    Replies: 7
"I'm going to buy a new staff. I'm trying to decide between:The Matrix Contact Staff by threeworlds.comhttp://www.threeworlds.com.au/store/products/Matrix-Contact-Fire-Staff-.htmlThe HoP..."
Last Reply by
Views: 17,824    Replies: 9
"So i just recently started watching fire dancing videos and i have to say i am definitely obsessed. I really want to start fire dancing and i decided the first thing i would learn is a ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,189    Replies: 3
"I'm heading to goa for 2 weeks in Jan (YAY, WOOP! etc) and I really want to do some spinning on the beach, so...1) Will I have any trouble taking used wicks on a plane? It being fuel an..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,739    Replies: 2
"I am interested in learning contact staff and I have been using my friends a bit but as it is not mine I cannot practice with it nearly as much as I would like. I tried using a mop hand..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,120    Replies: 4
"Hey everyone!New person here. Tried staff a few years ago and really enjoyed it, have been meaning to get my own practise one for ages but for various reasons kept putting it off...unti..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,743    Replies: 2
"Im learning staff and im getting pretty good at it. One thing im having trouble with is tossing the staff in the air so it kind of does a full turn and catching it as it comes down.Im h..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,566    Replies: 13
"Ok, so I have been doing staff for about a day. Got really really into it.Have gone through •Beginners part 1•Beginners part 2•Beginners Throws•Finger turns•Isolationon the HO..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,355    Replies: 8
"Hi all,Good to be on here - have lurked for a while and figured I should start posting.Have been doing staff work in martial arts for a few years and am just transferring to fire work n..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,948    Replies: 3
"Hi, Just found staff and thought it was pretty rad! Basically bought a broomhandle and have been practicing and getting to grips with the basic moves but i want to buy a my first fire..."
Last Reply by
Views: 73,324    Replies: 71
"Yeahhhhh, I love these threads... Another year, more goals, more awesomeness... I was gently surprised by my goals last year, the completion and nature of them. This year, more solid go..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,583    Replies: 4
"about a month ago, my son showed me a youtube video of some guy with S shaped staff. It looked fabulous. I went in search on here for info, then downloaded some pictures. Then tried to ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,106    Replies: 9
"so i jus got the Samjiegunhttp://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/HoP-Samjiegun-3-Section-Staffand was wondering if anyone has any sites i can learn from?yaaa so i was thinking, ev..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,697    Replies: 6
"I've looked around for a while now at the forums and tutorials, have seen some great stuff, read a lot of discussion, etc., and wanted to see if three was any interest in a different ap..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,377    Replies: 21
"ok so i officially ripped off the broom bristles and the top handle and am left with a alluminum broom stick and i am starting to learn staff wish me luck."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,720    Replies: 6
"Hello everyone taking the time to read this. As of this morning, I have just received in the mail my 5'9" full-length firestaff. While I'm very eager to light it up and start spinn..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,264    Replies: 7
"I purchased a staff many years ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed using it since I got it, but recently I've formed a deeper love for the art. Poi seems to come naturally to me, but cont..."
Last Reply by
Views: 13,546    Replies: 19
"My home made staff did me proud last night and the few who used it said it was real good for a first effort. I want it a tiny bit heavier though but i'm unsure how i can do this. The mi..."
Last Reply by
Views: 18,700    Replies: 8
"I've just now starting to get more into staff spinning. And i was wondering if my staff was to long? And How do you find the right size staff? I'm 6'1 and my staff is 5'1/4 Should I inv..."
Last Reply by
Views: 3,950    Replies: 2
"I'm trying to learn this darn pivot! I understand how the move is suppose to work and i can almost do it, but when ever it comes to the halo roll part of the move the staff tends to bou..."
Last Reply by
Views: 31,944    Replies: 47
"Sweeeeeeeeeettttt!A whole new year of practise! Ready Set Go!Yeah, so this thread, again, is for logging your goals per year / per month and seeing how you progress at them, as well as ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,635    Replies: 9
"attempt to combine elements of the chu-chu and fishtail. "
Last Reply by
Views: 5,488    Replies: 5
"***WARNING POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE CONTENT***So i wondered, has anyone ever come up with a variation of a move just for a laugh??One i throw in occasionally is what I've dubbed a 'Bird Fish..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,504    Replies: 3
"So I've been spinning with a 6ft rattan staff for years now, nothing special just messing around and for a bit of a work out. Now I'm interested in adding fire and truly learning what I..."
Last Reply by
Views: 12,006    Replies: 9
"Ay-up Hoppers,I assume this thread belongs here, I wasn't really sure where to put it.So here's the deal; I want to buy (or build) a new contact staff. I've read Meg's guide on how to m..."
Last Reply by
Views: 10,407    Replies: 18
"Hey Guys, I was at a party and a friend of mine showed me his stick, we're both still TOTAL newbies and I was looking around the internet and I found THREE different staff DVDs I was ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 19,851    Replies: 27
"So there are some interesting links in the is contact a new thing thread but its all a bit diluted and derailed now, so i thought a new thread could be good. Id like to hear about other..."
Last Reply by
Views: 7,821    Replies: 16
"I had a staff given as a present for jesus' birthday. But its a fire staff, and being a beginners i am dropping my staff alot. Is this going to damage the kevlar so in further months i ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 8,219    Replies: 19
"im just wondering what favourite contact combos ppl have, my current favourite is one where glass does a elbow hand hand elbow to shoulder neck shoulder run i thought that was very very..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,019    Replies: 7
"Hey all.I've been playing with the staff for a few days now, and I can do a few simple contacts like shoulder rolls, neck wraps and a scrappy halo or two, but I'm having trouble with ch..."
Last Reply by
Views: 4,572    Replies: 5
"What methods do you use to keep your speed in check?When I do windmills/rotors/hand wraps/whatever you'd want to call them, I notice its very easy to speed up and that speed is all but ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,969    Replies: 15
"What are you doing, w ith the other handin single staff spinning?----------------What was written is good.topic recover,:R"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,461    Replies: 1
"I've been practicing horizontal combos recently, and it's been coming along nicely.Now my problem is I can't figure out how to correct the staff when it starts going off-center, slows d..."
Last Reply by
Views: 5,977    Replies: 15
"G'day guys!Just wondering if it is possible to do more than 5 beats in one hand on staff?I can do 5 beat forward and backwards no both hands and looking to do more.Cheers!Lovo"
Last Reply by
Views: 3,815    Replies: 2
"Hey guys! I have just recently been given a staff for christmas and have started to mess around a bit. I am using youtube to get lessons. I was just wondering what moves shall i learn f..."
Last Reply by
Views: 36,086    Replies: 71
"Is it too early to make a new staff goals thread? Well maybe, but I'm going to press on regardless... So goals for 2008 please! Itemised if ya wants... I like itemisation. 1) Get rid of..."
Last Reply by
Views: 12,376    Replies: 18
"Hello all! I'm very new to fire staffs. infact i don't own one at this point in time, i got a metal curtain rail with 2 sponges sticky taped to either side as padding. Anyway, to the po..."
Last Reply by
Views: 26,711    Replies: 56
"ive watched glasses contact twirling vid over and over but i cant seem to get palm spin to neck wrap transfers. i felt heaps lost reading alot of the contact threads so if your reading ..."
Last Reply by
Views: 40,093    Replies: 5
"http://mcp.tepookatoys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=11---How to make a Contact Staff. See these sites also: &lbr;They have pictures&rbr;http://w..."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,507    Replies: 4
"So, I have been spinning staff and practicing contact for about a year using handmade tools. Today my first fire staff came in and I am super excited at the prospects that come with it...."
Last Reply by
Views: 290,246    Replies: 1,219
"BTB Fishtailes.:&rbr;,:R"
Last Reply by
Views: 8,904    Replies: 17
"i loved staff even before. but now it's a definite addiction.awesome."
Last Reply by
Views: 11,008    Replies: 21
"I've had great fun spinning and contact-staffing a collapsed umbrella - I must try to get in some finale where I finish off with the umbrella open! Next step collapsible fire umbrellas...."
Page: ...

HOP Newsletter