Forums > Help! > Which poi to buy for beginner?

Login/Join to Participate

Kysunemember
2 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I've recently stumbled on Poi after starting to learn Rope Darting. I'm interested in picking up some to learn how to do some tricks as it seems very fun. I'm very clueless as to all the different options though.

I'd like to keep things cheap but preferably use something with LED lighting. Looking at some of the different types I can see it can get a bit expensive. I would say I'm looking for something with a little more rope leash than a nunchuck and I'm not familiar with the advantages or disadvantages between podpoi (I believe the round shape) and crystalpoi? (I believe is the stick/handle shape)

If anyone could explain some of these and the pros/cons I'd greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone knows any basic starter sets to buy please feel free to suggest also so I can tell how much I'd need to invest to start off (preferably with LED lights, but if it's too expensive then I may drop down to non-LED).

I'll probably be picking up a FlowDart at some point later down the road but figured I'd stick with a shorter leash poi to start off. Which will also help if/when I want to practice in doors.

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's help. This is my first time posting here and looking forward to picking up this hobby for fun.

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
for non-LED id say make your own; pair of socks and a tennis ball in them is the quickest+easiest (theres many things you can use instead of a tennis ball, like a balloon filled with sand/rice)

as for LED, everyone has their own preference. i prefer the LED Ninja poi from homeofpoi but many people prefer a round/ball shape instead of a stick
if you havnt learned any tricks with poi yet then my recommendation would be make some practice sock poi and initially use a really cheap version of LED poi; 2 bicycle lights you can get cheaply tied on the ends of shoelaces

(my reasoning for going cheap at first being theres no point paying a lot of money for something you are only just starting to do)

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

Kysunemember
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks ABOBer92,

I guess I should clarified, I'm mostly not wanting to get into the $100+ price range. Anything below that price range is fine. (I was just a bit worried since I saw some products from 100-200 in price and was a bit intimidated)

I assume clubpoi and nunchuck poi are harder to do tricks with. Also, what is the difference between flowpoi and crystalpoi? They seem to be about the same size, which I'm not really noticing much of a difference. I'm also a bit confused as to what these mean below.

PomGrip? (what is it and how does it help?)
Flowmass (single and double, (what is it and how does it help?)

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
ah ok, im a student so always concious of saving moneys where possible lol. $100 is a good top end for your first good-quality LED set

tbh ive never used a real set of club poi or nunchuck poi, i have used clubs with a bit of rope attached to the handles which is similar and i found them interesting but not as fun as normal poi

tbh i havnt used/bought any of the flowtoys items, my LED poi items are homemade, a 'beginners nighttime set' as it was described to the person who bought this set for me and then i got the ninja poi as i had heard good things
i can tell you that all 3 were nice but they all had different weights and shapes which meant adapting slightly to each one, of the 3 the ninja poi look best when im using them but the 'beginner set' require the least amount of adapting from sock poi. i'll let someone with some flowtoys give info on them as i would mostly be guessing from what ive seen on youtube tbh lol

pomgrip handles are mostly used for contact poi and throws as theyre easier to grab/catch compared to loops/chain/knots, they arent needed with the beginner tricks but if you get them early on then it saves you having to get used to the different way of holding them i suppose

flowmass as far as im aware is just a way of increasing the weight (and therefore the speed/momentum) of the poi, they probably decrease the risk of damaging the poi too

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

HOP Newsletter