Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > tightening up planes and perfecting moves

Login/Join to Participate

pyroPLURstranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hey people! Ive been spinning for 3 weeks and although I have afew moves they arent even and symmetrical. My planes go off as soon as I do any tricks although I can spin against the wall no problem. My stuff looks...sloppy for lack of a better word. I know it should come with practice and although I practice a lot and seem to learn new moves quickly I never seem to learn them "well". Are there any technique drills or practice fundamentals that will help? I practice outside without a mirror so its hard to see where Im going wrong. Any advice for perfectionist noobs? Thanks so much and happy spinnin'

I light fires while the city sleeps - MC 900 Ft. Jesus

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Get the mirror? tongue2

It may help to have slightly heavier poi, about 120-160g. (You did not say what they were, so shooting in the dark here.) The heavier heads should let you feel them better.

And sloppy after three weeks is hardly surprising. It will come right with time.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

pyroPLURstranger
3 posts

Posted:
thank you thats helpful smile Im not sure what weight Im working with so I'll check. I just ordered some new LED poi today so Ill check the weight of those too. Hmmm. I have no space to practice inside but I was thinking of getting husband to record me so I can watch and see where my planes are clean and where they are sloppy. It wouldnt be as good as a high ceilinged mirrored studio space but I live in a condo so I guess Ill just have to do my best! thanks so much!

I light fires while the city sleeps - MC 900 Ft. Jesus

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Shadows and windows work quite well, too!

hug

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
For developing plane control, my favourite drill is to change the plane..... ie, from your side plane doing fwd spins, slowly change your plane inward until it becomes a butterfly, and of course back to the side planes again. Also practice with the reverse spin. this helped me IMMENSELY with my plane control.

Spinning makes the world go round

HeffeHeffeHeffeSpinners United Leader
29 posts

Posted:
what helped me get my planes flat and im not joking is get a good friend or someone who trusts u (they might not after this) and do your moves right up to them like u would to a wall and the tension and fear of hitting a friend or anything on those lines helps alot and i started off spinning fire poi unlit didnt have any sock poi or led to learn with so it helps

FunTrailsBRONZE Member
Peace Monger
8 posts

Posted:
I've found closing your eyes really helps. When your eyes are closed you have to feel what you are doing rather than watching. The video is a great idea I like to record new moves so I can see it from the perspective of the audience. that and the heavier and longer your poi are the slower you can spin them, the slower you spin them the more you can analyze them smile

~Peace

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
mirrors are great, where i practise in my yard, in afternoons I reflect in my big glass window. I was off for ages and realised I kinda stood with my shoulders tilted.
but practise practise practise you'll get it smile

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

Little_fairystranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi. =) Im really new to spinning too & Im finding my planes difficult too. I also cant decide how I want to hold my poi. I have the tennis ball 1's with the 1 loop. I know there are diagrams on this site & thank you... but I still cant get it. I was puting my whole hand through the loop & holding the sliver ring. But then when I watched the tutorial about spinning forwards it speaks of keeping palms & fingers facing down & forward. But holding with my thumb & index finger I just tend to have my wrists facing each other. Any 1 can please help explain to me how the heck to hold them! Also when you say with the wall... do you mean the wall would be on either the left of me or the right of me while spinning back or forwards...?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
There are many ways to hold poi, just go with what feels correct.

Personally, I have ball grips, which I hold with the tether between my thumb and forefinger.

"Wall plane" as a concept is generally parallel to the axis through both shoulders, (so in front and behind you).

On the gripping hand, if you are trying to clean up your planes by spinning next to a wall, then the idea is to have the poi graze the wall during normal spinning, so it will depend on what you are working on.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

iSp1nF1reBRONZE Member
Alcoholic FlowMaster
17 posts

Posted:
WALLS!!! walls are by FAR the best way to straighten your planes. another good way is too imagine youre walkin down a hallway and there are people walking on either side of you...and you dont wanna hit em.

mirrors are def my favorite. if you have a gym membership or know of a place that has aerobics classes they probably have a mirror wall like in a dance studio, its literally THE best place to practice because you can see your poi entirely no matter the move and even if you move around.

closing your eyes is also a good way to practice. because good spinners can feel exactly where the poi heads are. closing your eyes helps you be conscious, and will increase your flow ten-fold. this way you dont look like one of those kids that just learned a buncha moves and looks super stiff and just goes from move to move.

and youre only 3weeks deep. just keep practicing. every day. close your eyes, and move your feet as much as possible. flow is the key to the to being a dimensional poi spinner.

Liquid and Fire is a beautifully breathtaking combination