Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > What do you use for counter weights, and roughly how heavy

Login/Join to Participate

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hi guys

Ive been using Rice in the tail end of my socks
But Ive been eyeing up the ball handles lately Do they make good counter weights or are they too light

What do you use and roughly how heavy compared to the head of the poi
(Sorry my question mark key is broke)

THanks in advance

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
My sock poi have rice weighting the handles with a weight for 30g as opposed to the heads which are 120g. My contact poi have racket balls as handles which work well but are rather large balls to hold in your hands.

zach_rhodesSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Somebody posted in the facebook tech poi group about this once. I think the general consensus is that the optimum weight for handles is 1/3 the weight of the heads.

I've used the PX3 knobs and the silicon ball handles and prefer the silicon handles as they're a little softer to grip and have a little more weight. If they're still to light you can just put washers in them to add a bit

61 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: richiiMy sock poi have rice weighting the handles with a weight for 30g as opposed to the heads which are 120g. My contact poi have racket balls as handles which work well but are rather large balls to hold in your hands.
Oh I'm glad its not just me on the rice smile
Nice one, thanks hun

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

61 posts

Posted:
I've used the PX3 knobs and the silicon ball handles and prefer the silicon handles as they're a little softer to grip and have a little more weight. If they're still to light you can just put washers in them to add a bit [/quote]

I tried the wooden ball handles and god did they make my fingers sore! I might try the silicon ones then. Thanks so much.
I've joined Tech poi but I never join in the conversation, I'm Not a shy person but they just all seem like old friends in there.. Love that place though, learnt so much already.

Thanks for the tips! =)

agroventFarmer Poi
11 posts

Posted:
For throw poi, i enjoyed a 2/1 ratio... but i just copyed a teacher i was learning from online as far as that goes... My throw poi are made from short socks and have 100g heads / 50g handles, both filled with some transgenic soy noone wanted to eat (i wouldnt recomend this to others, by the way, as 50g of soy make large handles which can be limiting for some moves, like both poi in one hand)

contact poi seem to be another story, i really want to add some weight to my contact poi handles, in order to give them a similar arch to my throw poi, but i'm worried about loosing out on some of the contact moves with the extra weight... a hybrid contact / throw poi would be ice cream... =D

"...It's worth it, to get to spend my life doing what makes me happy and sharing something real with people, in the midst of all the falseness around."

61 posts

Posted:
Ahh I thought contact Poi handles were quite heavy, they seem it to watch.
Someone, not a Poi spinner, mentioned to me you can get tape that is heavy and add weight that way. That wouldn't bulk the handles out, but I didn't probe him further on it, wish I had now, he's an engineer but I don't see him these days.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I use those door stoppers you screw into the floor.

And definitely not 1:2 for me. I prefer more weight in the head. Not sure of the exact ratio.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

61 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI use those door stoppers you screw into the floor.

And definitely not 1:2 for me. I prefer more weight in the head. Not sure of the exact ratio.

Sorry hun hadn't been back to this post till now -)
That made me chuckle, I've got a couple of those I could use!

spacedubGOLD Member
Bob
5 posts

Posted:
I use bouncy balls the ones that are a little bit smaller then golf balls, they work great, and i really like the weight with the Single Multi-Color LED Glow Ball for poi, from HOP shop, with the bouncy balls you can use them in ya sock or put a hole though it and use with ColeCord.

HoP is the BEST!

tracethefaceBRONZE Member
angry turtle
101 posts

Posted:
i've found success trying out handle weights with sock poi. if you just knot/bundle the more fabric into the handle you can increase the weight gradually, and then knot in the middle of the sock if you want to adjust the overall length. it's not exactly precision stuff, and i don't think you'd use that set for a main go to, but i found it an effective method cheap in the money and effort department.

Fluidity.

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
I use two PX3s stacked on on top of the other, with enough washers inside to make a 1:3 handle to head weighting. Works fine for me with contact, tosses and wibbles, but I've seen peeps with 1:1, 1:2, and barely any weight in the handles do the same things just as well.

1:3 is just what the guy I learn off does and is what I'm used to having.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."