Forums > Technical Discussion > Firesnakes from HoP (shorten them)

Login/Join to Participate

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Hello, my first post here.
Im NiDrO from Sweden
been spinning some years for fun from time to time.
never owned my own fire poi´s b4 but spun with friends.

so my parents threw my old poi´s away and i got them to pay for new ones and i bought firesnakes here from HoP.
Got them two days ago together with a pair of RGB led socks, and got so big pains after learning pendulum 1.5 weave tongue2
(stupid poi:ing has made me discover so many muscle´s i never knew existed and every new move introduce a new one it seems)

i live in the north so kinda need socks to beable to spin inside since the temperature isnt kind and my fingers, goes numb outside in matter of minutes.

so i have spun the snakes unlit maybe 30 min and i realy think they are a bit to long.
do any one know how the metall end is attached, i dont wanna destroy them while trying to shorten them...

//Best regards NiDrO

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
has no one tried to modifie them or opend old used ones?

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Well, you could probably take the handles and chains off of the snakes. I do not have a pair, but from looking at the picture, it seems like you can do it.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Fire-Snakes

You could then just make new handles with much shorter chains to attach to your snakes.

Question everything.

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
the chain is already very short so the easiest solution isn't viable
smirk

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Ah, well, then I guess I have no clue as to what you should do. 0.o I'm not exactly sure what makes up a fire snake, to be honest. Is it sort of like a torch poi? Or is the kevlar wrapped around a chain? If the kevlar is wrapped around a chain, you could try cutting off a part of the material, and thus, a part of the chain as well. Give me some information on your fire snakes. Is it weighted at the end or is the weight distributed evenly?

Question everything.

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
its a thick kevlar rope, some metal at the bottom a bit of weight though not sure if its main purpuse is weight or just keep it in shape at the bottom.

what im worried about is that the metall piece at the end is connected to the top piece or that the rope is covering something else inside.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
You should email Malcolm and see what the fire snakes are made up of. Talking to the people who make them is probably best. If nothing can be done, perhaps you could even send them back and get a refund if you truly dislike the length. Fire snakes look awesome, but I've heard the burn time is relatively short. Maybe you could get different poi? The monkey fist pendulum poi are next on my shopping list. wink

Question everything.

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
i send a mail no response yet, though was middle of the night down under.

im not gona ask for refund or any thing. ive known quite a while that snakes or some shorter kind of poi whip was what i wanted, the issue of length wont scare me away (atleast until i light them up)

well thnx for trying to help me smile

best regards Anton

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Heya NiDro, just got your email here at HOP central and sent you some info back in regards to this one. A quick run down here also though..... Yup the chains are pretty close to the heads already on this design so shortening the chain isn't really advised. Due to how we make the internals at the handle end they are glued, dowel and aluminum inserts are also used under the cap locking the wick into place then the the cap/cover placed on and screwed into the inserts for added strength and reliability (not just screwed into the wick) so shortening them by simply taking the cap off and cutting and rescrewing isn't really an option for the safety aspects. Trying to shorten them and keeping the unique internal construction is really major open heart surgery. Same with the end, you noticed there are inserts in the end also, a little for weight and not having exposed wick edges showing, knots, extra exposed metal etc on the design at the end of the wicks. Again though not so easy to open up and shorten without basically remaking and given the glues etc inside attaching more damage may be done than shortening repair if attempted. I emailed you some info about our returns also so check your emails when you get a sec and email me back so we can help further etc etc cheers Chris.

NiDrOBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
thnx for the information.

a hick up on the life line is just another challenge. smile

best regards
Anton