Forums > Videos > Analysing a Yuta video

Login/Join to Participate

Reworkedstranger
5 posts

Posted:
Hey all, im quite amature at poi only started around last year in the summer and have been doing it casually on and off stopping for the winter (cold hands).
When my friends convinced me to start they advised to look up videos and tutorials which I did and started learning the moves, but while browing I came across a Yuta video and I was wondering if anyone could help me analyse it.

I know its an advanced routine but its something I would like to build up to and by knowing the names of the tricks I then know what to look up to learn.

I am not meaning to copy and claim the routine, just something I would love to be able to perform.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
What particular move/combo are you interested in ?

ninja

Reworkedstranger
5 posts

Posted:
Im interested in all of it, just most parts of it im not to sure what move hes doing since it flows very well, at points I can see hes doing flowers and an isolation buzzsaw? but other than that im quite clueless of what to look for

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
There's not a lot that I'd consider too technical, though some of it is challenging to learn (antispin flowers and longarm reels took me a while). Yuta's poi vocabulary in this video consists mostly of corkscrews (often four beat), reels and reel turns, weaves, and flowers (both in-spin and antispin, and with turns), and stalls. His together time reels over one shoulder are the most unusual thing he does. I would focus on learning the turns, since his control with those are what make Yuta's use of these moves far more interesting to watch than n00bier spinners.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Watch this video series, 4 videos in total I believe. They will make you very much more aware of your body, make poi much more natural and controlled as well. When you gain that body awareness you will also be able to analyze spinning much better because you can visualize yourself doing it, not just like picture yourself doing it, but actually "feel" and know what you will be doing. These same body movements are much harder to learn with poi in your hands, but you get virtually same result. I teach this now to people wanting to learn, I hope it helps because as Sister Eleven said, there really isn't much to explain in that video. It's all real basic movements, just put together very well.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Reworkedstranger
5 posts

Posted:
I'd like to thank both of you for simplifying the video for me and showing me those videos.
They look like good fun, guess i'll be looking like an idiot in my garden for a few days trying it out.

so cheers again for the help =)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'm with SoD-- learning the arm movements without poi *really* helped me get the hang of the movements with poi much faster. With poi in your hands it's hard not to think about the prop, but if you get the body motions first the prop just sort of falls into your body's metaphorical groove. Much the same thing applies if you ever start playing with unit circle hybrids, too.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s