thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
Searched the forums (and the web at large, actually) and didn't find much info on this, so I thought I'd ask: How do you fuel your toys? I'm using poi so answers on that topic will be the most useful for me, but I'm sure I'll be moving on to other skill toys at some point so feel free to share your fueling methods whether for fire fans or staffs or that crazy double-meteor half-staff twirlymagig toy you made for fun.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Take All-Sorts tin, pour paraffin into tin, insert wicks into paraffin, let wicks soak for a few minutes, take wicks out, let excess paraffin drip back, use spin-bucket, light wicks, blow minds.

Not sure that there is really too much more to it....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I soak my wicks in a bucket of fuel for a minute or two, then use a small bucket (or paint can or big cut open water bottle) with a cord attached to spin off the excess fuel (put the head in the bucket, hold the cord along with part of the chain, spin, stall in a pendulum to avoid spilling, pour the fuel back in the fuel bucket).

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
as sis 11 says, catch cans are the way forward much more economical

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, one of my spin jam mates showed me the method, saying the first time he'd used it was during a show at an organic farm (spilling fuel on an organic farm could lose its certification). Definitely the best way to go under most circumstances.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I may be performing indoors soon. How do I make the can attach to the poi? I like the idea of water bottles the best.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
@ sod, you don't need to attach the can to the poi, just shove a couple of cords on it which are about the same length as your poi chains then you grip the cords and your poi handle together so the poi hangs in the bucket. then just give it a few hard spins smile
also agree a controlled stop is essential, use a nice pendulum stall to avoid spilling all the fuel you've just collected in the can

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire