Forums > Social Chat > Poi for the kids in NC

Login/Join to Participate

StunningWolfSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
so a friend and i are working on putting together a group of skill toy people to teach kids and really push for togetherness in the environment. we plan to have a 'wolf pack' theme as to encourage a feeling love and belonging in the group.
we want to work with an already established program that deals with kids so we can get a good amount of experience and insight before we jump in headstrong to this thing, but i really think the entire program could be a beautiful thing.
we've a lot of ideas bouncing around and i would love to hear what everyone has to say about it grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Wolf Pack theme? You mean like Cubs? tongue2

Otherwise, good luck. smile

Just remember that they might not be interested, but being told to do it, so be patient (small gods only know how badly I suck at this) and be sure to make it fun instead of just drilling them.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

stranger
5 posts

Posted:
actually, the wolf pack is something a group of friends and i have sort of created. its a way of life for us (a wolf will never leave another wolf behind, so on and so forth) and we believe its a great way to show the kids how to care for one another rather than living in the selfish way our society is so fond of pushing on its citizens. its sort of hard to really explain unless you get it. by the way i smell like pine cones :3 maybe not the best example for kids...but they wont be exposed to that or anything else chaotic in our care, of course.

the whole movement is more about love than anything else. we're going to have a good amount of social stereotypes represented in our staff and not once will we pay attention to them, hopefully the kids will pick up on this on a less than conscious level and later in their lives it wont matter if someone has tattoos or if a boy has long hair or how feminine he is, if a person's skin is a different color, if they wear glasses or how much they weigh or anything! oh my gosh. like i said its still in the brainstorming phase but hopefully it is something that will have a wonderful impact. even if we only get one small group.

also, i understand, mr squirrel man.

i actually thought about once we figure out which kids we actually will work with, having them bring their own socks (their favorite long socks, or some they picked out themselves at the sock store or wherever it is people buy socks) and all of us making our sock poi together so they have something that they made with their own hands rather than somebody else's poi. they can take these home with them and keep them forever!

the first day/session/what have you will be orientation to the staff (elder wolves and other wolf pups, the facility, etc...,) sock poi construction (fun style) and the best part to me: play time. not once will any technique be spoken about, no one will say "do this trick like this" or anything of the sort. it will be raw playing. i really respect this learning element because some of the most beautiful and influential things will be done with the poi during this time. hopefully we can film this stage and we will be able to learn a lot from the kids and they will learn something when we go back and watch it together.

stranger
5 posts

Posted:
thats the general idea grin