Forums > Expressive movement / costumes and props > Help with music for a Day of the Dead performance...

Login/Join to Participate

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
So I have a show in a couple weeks, first pay performance! It is a Día de los Muertos celebration, I'll have two sets. I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for something electronic that has a Latin/Hispanic beat to it that would go well with the Mexican holiday. Since I have two songs one was going to be a song I personally like (Bassnectar or something similar) and wanted a second more suiting for the mood. Any thoughts would help, thanks! grin

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Asraiya On FireSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
Automatically I wanna say Dead Can Dance! But the process of going through all their material can be lengthy.. Check out Tijuana Cartel ~ I use a song by them for a poi duet I choreographed or am in the process of actually.. It's the only one I've heard but it's perfect! Steady tempo, interesting transitions, I like it, and it's totally unique as far as I'm aware but they could be dating Loren's cousin and are huge in some scene I apparently haven't noticed yet especially since as a dancer I associate w/the feel of the sound not the name dropping thing prevalent amongst my dj friends etc.... blah, blah tongue2

Good Luck! Hey wait, ya got awhile to prepare, yeah? Where is it? I use to do an big annual Dia del los Muertes show in Tuscon each year w/Jeff Thomas, FlamChen, Magmavox (my ex troupe) and sheesh.. others who became some name eventually like PyroSutra. REALLY EPIC EXPERIENCE FOR ME. Oh ~ listen to Peter Gabriel's "Rhythm of the Heat" in route to your set the night of.. kinda a tradition of ours now passed down to you! wink

"what matters most is how well you walk through the fire"
~Bukowski

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I think this suits very well

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
The first thing that came into my head was Shpongle..perhaps Levitation Nation or Dorset Perception?

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Well guys thanks for the advice but check the date of the first post: the event's already happened! tongue2

The event was the Tulsa Day of the Dead show. Our assembly of performers included two hoopers, a fire breather and eight spinners. Music choice wasn't an issue, almost sixteen mixed drummers provided a fantastic beat to perform to. In total around three hundred spectators had their minds blown. Our performance was the highlight of the event!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
hahaha...oops.. redface laugh3

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

kamostranger
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info.

The tracking is not a member of is gambling with Holiday Palace is only a few games.