Forums > Social Discussion > Best excuse to get rid of newbs using your gear?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Newb attack. Weve all been there.

When a newb comes up to you the instant youve lit up, gives you some explanation about he is better at "it" that you are, and demands a to play with your so carefully hand constructed weight perfect staff/poi RIGHT NOW.

Then proceeds to show off to his mates doing a 2 beat or similar, as they decide they can also have a go, using your fuel.
Usually ends in them dropping it/bending staff/hitting themselves in the nuts/them leaving for another beer.

..and usually followed by "can you fire breathe? here give me some vodka".

So! Whats your best excuse to stop them from TOUCHING YOUR STUFF.?!
mad

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You're such a noob. You spell noob like noob, a newb is a single small step up from a noob.

My instinctive reaction would be "censored off."

But you could also say that: If they were so good at it, why don't they have their own fire poi?

Or alternatively: Would they also consider going up to footballers in a park and saying what they just said?

I would also consider suffixing an insult to the tail end of any of these. Including the first.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
It's wrong question. Fire performance will allways attract people.

The reason why lending fire props before or after is denied.

ninja

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
One word exclaimed like a 7 year old should do the trick.....

"Mine!!!"

tongue2

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceOne word exclaimed like a 7 year old should do the trick.....

"Mine!!!"

tongue2

I agree! haha

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You;re retarded and i dont need insurance on my ass

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Generally I tend to say "yeah sure, hold on" and keep spinning until the poi die out.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I usually say "mmm, that's nice" then ignore them.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
I normally just spin faster and faster till they get worried/my staff goes out, then say 'out of fuel, gtg'

Or just tell them to get lost. smile

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
I start with

Non-Https Image Link

Then tell them if they damage it they buy and and that

Non-Https Image Link

I love pictures grin
EDITED_BY: DirtBag (1275198611)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Thankfully I haven't been there yet. Mostly they make no claims about their skill, and come up after a burn. Though I was miffed when this one guy, admittedly fun to watch, finished his burn by smacking the heads down in the wet sand. No, that's fine, I didn't want to kep using those swivels anyway... Next time no one uses my gear. My excuse will be that their my babies and no one borrows them.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Do you have your fire spinning accreditation with you?

hug

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Fire spinning accreditation? Whats that? lol

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its a lie I've used to make noobs stop asking to use my gear.

They obviously don't have it on them, since it doesn't exist.

hug

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Hahaha some people around here would probably argue that one with you

I was invited to spin fire at a party called wowie zowie

I showed up and the people in charge were telling me we had to wait for this guy Nick Pryde because he was the only one with a "permit"

I was like, "Really? A censored permit? What the censored is that censored?"

Anyway, we all ended up spinning and had a great night.....after waiting around for 4 hours for the cops to leave

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Organised gigs are different. Requires insurance and relevant permits from local authorities.

hug

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
spin fire ferociously fast and impressivly, then once they've gone out give them a shot unlit, monkey see monkey do, spin hard&fast, immediate smack in the balls/face, poi are back in you hands as if by magic and no-one else wants a shot.
more difficult if your performing in a nightclub with flowtoys or similar, wasted people just want to play with glowing things, usually mentioning insurance/"these things are £200 a pair!!!!" does the trick or telling them that only you have the owners permission to spin for insurance reasons as you are being employed as a performer, something like that.
Answering in a different language and ignoring them often works as well...

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Seraphiastranger
14 posts

Posted:
Depends on who it is really. I usually say no if they're rude and just assume they can play with my toys. If I'm at a festival there is always at least one person who's wasted who picks stuff up and then asks after. That really bugs me and I can be quite vocal lol.
If on the other hand I have been talking to them for a while and they are nice and not in my face, I will offer them a go. Obviously it depends on the toy, but mine are not that special and didn't cost a great deal.
I don't like playing with other people's stuff because I'd be too worried about doing it some damage. I'd rather just stick to my own.
So I suppose I don't have an excuse really lol. It's my stuff, I don't need one. I just say no laugh3

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Seraphia
If on the other hand I have been talking to them for a while and they are nice and not in my face, I will offer them a go. Obviously it depends on the toy, but mine are not that special and didn't cost a great deal.
Actually, that's sorta me too. smile

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
You could try what a friend did to me before I started learning to spin.... He simply spun his poi forward in splittime in wall planes on either side of me, if they seem phased they probably have never spun [fire] before. =)

Oh also, if you do that while laughing maniacally, I'm sure it'll just keep them away from you anyway.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenNext time no one uses my gear. My excuse will be that their my babies and no one borrows them.
That is generally what I do laugh3

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: liquidtranceAnswering in a different language and ignoring them often works as well...

I like this idea

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
This is all a touch negative and the best way of dealing with overbearing and over enthusiastic borrowers is often with a touch of positivity.

This used to be a big problem when I span in a lot of clubs. I explained that I just started spinning so I'll likely be using my props myself for a while & then add that they're quite expensive / hand made so I'm not comfortable handing them out to other people to use. Then I spin for a good while anyway so they often lose interest or ask somebody else. I did occasionally add that they were slightly broken so liable to injure the person using them. And I'm always polite about it using the validate and deflect technique.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that's a good point.

When I'm not being narky, I generally let them play with some of my practise gear and if they don't like that then I just explain to them that it's the best I can offer until they can prove themselves otherwise.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DirtBagHahaha some people around here would probably argue that one with you

I showed up and the people in charge were telling me we had to wait for this guy Nick Pryde because he was the only one with a "permit"

Anyway, we all ended up spinning and had a great night.....after waiting around for 4 hours for the cops to leave

I'm still surprised anybody actually went to that. A lot of people skipped it after some drama at the last party there.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I give them a pair of socks to play with. If they actually seem to know what they are doing, I will consider letting them have a go with anything else. If anyone is intoxicated or high, they can forget it though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JaredWOriginally Posted By: DirtBagHahaha some people around here would probably argue that one with you

I'm still surprised anybody actually went to that. A lot of people skipped it after some drama at the last party there.

I literally only went to spin fire lol

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I'm with aston. I always have a pair of sock poi on me, if someone wants to play with my poi, they can use those.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI give them a pair of socks to play with. If they actually seem to know what they are doing, I will consider letting them have a go with anything else. If anyone is intoxicated or high, they can forget it though.

^^^^^^QFT.

This what I do too. Always have some cheap practise gear around, dont loan out what you cant afford to lose.

That said - I will always be indebted to very lovely strangers who have loaned me very expensive gear (eg some girl at a party in Amsterdam loaned me Aerotech swinging clubs, and I had one of the most enjoyable spins ever with them) when they haven't known me from a bar of soap.

I bet the majority of the people on this thread have been on the receiving end of such kindness...perhaps we should concentrate on that for a bit (well...at least I will ;))

J
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1275346672)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have never met another spinner other than my old German exchange student and I have only seen him do it once. I never even thought of asking to use his gear, I wish I did, it would've been really fun. So I have never even been in the position to be on the receiving end. I'm sure others here have though.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: DirtBagOriginally Posted By: JaredWOriginally Posted By: DirtBagHahaha some people around here would probably argue that one with you

I literally only went to spin fire lol

Nick didn't show up? Where you looking for all 5'6" of him?

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Page: