AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just cant help myself! I hope you are all getting something out of my volumous posts...if not sing out and I'll tape a hand behind my back or something to limit my keystrokes :))Anyhow - I was mucking around with my Poi last night while listening to some music and I thought of something...From the looks of things, there really arent that many more ways you can swing a poi...mostly it seems variation of themes more than anything else...and that brought me to this...Certainly combinations of moves which are done really well will look better than the single moves done...I see a lot of twirlers at Parties and stuff who know a lot of 'tricks' but dont really know how to flow through them, or line them up with each other.So lately, I've been tending to do combinations of moves...certainly in Martial Arts combination techniques look better and are more effective than each constituent move done seperately...Soo....what are you guys' favourite Combo's?I'll post 2 of my favs at the mo, as payment for you having to read all this crap ;)1) Shooting Star Butterfly Combo.Start by having the Poi swinging in line with the line formed through your shoulders, and the Poi are moving outwards at the top of their swing and are alternating (together) between infront and behind your arms.As they come in front bring your hands together dragging them into a front butterfly.Without waiting more than 1 beat, push the butterfly up and behind your head.on the next revolution, take your arms out wide (extending the length of the poi) and drag them down. The Poi should look like they are falling down at the extremety of a LARGE circle with you in the middle. (Jo Derry does this bit close to the start of his comp video)As your arms pass level, turn your wrists over and bring the Poi in behind your Butt for a Behind the Butt Butterfly.After one revolution behind your butt, put your arms straight out to the sides, and you will find yourself in your starting postion.2)Body Figure 8.Start by spinning the poi backwards in time at your sides.Do this,High Turn straight into Chasing the Moon (see my between the legs thread) straight into another high Turn straight into a low turn, and Voila! you are back in your starting position. The Poi should have looked like from the front that they did a figure 8 starting at the High turn and ending at the end of chasing the moon.I cant wait to see the combos all you highly skilled twirlers come up with.[Josh]Ps - Do I get a prize for contributing the longest post ever? Malcolm? how about a set of comets? ;)[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 19 January 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Josh - i've been thinking the same thing about combos too...one of my favourite ones is the following:1) Start by doing a normal forwards weave2) Go into in-time swinging, do a cross-over and get into the weave again3) From the weave do a low turn but only turn your body from the waist up (ie not move your feet) and straight off a high turn and come back into the weave at the frontYou can do the low and high turns either in split time or in time - the bonus with this combo is that you can mix the moves in any order you like and you can go really fast with it, if you do it properly it looks as a kind of strange, modified weave - it's really easy to connect to other moves too (e.g to a windmill etc)happy swinging,Simos

Alanmember
3 posts

Posted:
ok here's a cool combo my friend made up:start with a 3 beat weave. when the glow sticks are on your left side turn 90 degrees left and go into a vertical corkscrew w/one of the planes behind your head and immediatly turn 90 degrees left and go into a backwards 3 beat wave. now go back! it will look like 3 circles all around you.

Burn em' to ashes and then burn the ashes.-Ray Bradbury Farenhite 451

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
im to lasy to explain any of my combos now, but a good way to find new ones is find similarities to how you start and end certain moves if 2 move start similar of one ends similarly to how anouther starts hook them together. thats how i do all my combo moves------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
my favorite combos are a same direction meltdown out to three beet weave and as soon as i do the last beat on the other side strait to a hyperloop turn and i'm workin on instead of hyperloops i wanna get orbitals smile and my other fav combo is a 3 beat to same direction crosser to butterfly crosser and back to 3 beat fountain happy spinning

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
My favorites involve split time same direction with the poi going all around me on wallplane. Kind of reminds me of G.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Midkiff: I actually like going straight from the meltdown into the hyperloop, or out of the meltdown into a no-extra-beat toss, and then hyperloop. Meltdowns are fun because they're slightly boggling and big and elegant, and they give you a lot of options for transitioning into complementary or contrasting moves. Also fun is just exiting into an extension, and reversing into an antispin flower. Anyway...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i would have to really speed things up to do that cuz i would have to cut the three beat out its like a buffer so i dont have to turn as fast but what i am workin on now is going from that crosser combo that was said above to a extended meltdown out to 3 beat and orbital and i challenge all who are active on this forum to post their favorite combo's and combo's they are working on and such things as always happy spinning!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i have gotten the majority of said combo just not the orbital out but soon it will be done smile

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
A favorite of mine is 3bt into a hyperloop back into a three beat (I just learned hyperloops though so I'm kinda showing them off).

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have learned G's style of plane bending and out of learning the basics of that I was able to create my own combo. Fun stuff

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
can you describe said combo? or what about a video of said combo

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I can work on a video. Getting a camera is difficult for me now. I can however do my best to describe it. One thing to keep in mind is that my poi are always in opposite same time for the whole combo. Starts with a vertical inward stall. Then i bring them above my hands on a horizontal plane. Then they come into a buzzsaw plane and stop at the top. After that they go back to my wall plane inward opposites. then a down stall to a behind the head stall. Out of that back into wallplane. Let me know if this makes sense tongue2 I will try to post a vid

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
I like to get into a btb crosser from waist wrap weave, move into a meltdown after a couple revs of that, then when I get out of the meltdown, straight into extensions.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I love me my crosser-meltdown thingy and unwind my arms into a whirl, wind myself up into a meltdown turn 180 then unwind my arms go into about half of a full spin, turn into antispin and stall somewhere. Do whatever from there.

That is a combo I've been working on smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin