Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The I learned a new move without any practice thread.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I didn't see one, and I thought it deserved its own thread. For when you see a move you really like, but can't wrap your head around it. Then you figure out how or see a tutorial, and you can just magically do it.

Yeah, here's a thread for that amazing feeling wink

As for my first post, Butterfly Staggered Stalls. I've had much more over the times, but I can't remember them and don't feel like listing anyways.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
The latest one was wrist bumps and bicep wraps. I had been struggling with these, then I saw someone doing them in person and could just do it. Same with the fake 5bt weave where you wrap the poi around your wrist instead of your wrists around each other.

This seems to happen every couple of weeks, really. I'll see someone doing something in person that I've been struggling with, and all of a sudden I can just do it. One of the great things about spinning with other people.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Yeah, well... wait until you see my one handed btb thread the needle. It was like so totally easy for me! tongue2 tongue2 tongue2

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
I CALL TECHNICALITY! laugh3 You can't thread the needle with only one hand tongue2 tongue2 tongue2

Fear me and my all mighty fun ruiners devil

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
You could technically, you can angle one or the other side of the hand back and forth I guess tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

2,280 posts

Posted:
damn, you just took down the master (I think that might work)

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
It could possibly the way seaspray described it. I've messed around with that one handed corkscrew with little progress, but who's to say what's impossible. Now are we POSITIVE that Nick doesn't have a video tut. on it somewhere?? tongue2

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
DVD special??? grin

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Haha exactly!

Well after playing with the pacman twist for a while, the butterfly weave just kind of fell into place so I guess I can say that!

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
I managed butterfly meltdowns on the first go. Although I dropped the f-bomb on every single beat, in fear of getting smacked in the face >_<

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol nice. That is so what poi is about. censored my face censored my face censored my face censored my face

It never ends laugh3

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i just learned the butterfly weave just messing around and also watermill turns to

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
G's favorite move. I had done it wrong before, but I saw the video and it just worked. Also, the fun CAP style variations. It is sooo fun. Might just me my favorite move now too grin I've also been diving some into his kind of plane changing and different stalls and direction changes. I have to say they're super fun!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitG's favorite move.

Which one is that?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs9gs0zLm1k

Enjoy the meow song at the end!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
He does that much better than I do. But yeah, it's a pretty sexy, simple move.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Today for the first time I tried BTB (not)1.5 (not)weaves, and it totally just happened without any problem. I love it when that happens.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I have to use those more often. I use so many pendulum moves as it is, it'd flow pretty naturally. Next to my "moves to learn" list I should start a "moves you know but forget to ever use, and you should because they're awesome" list.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have a massive one of those too....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SoopaSILVER Member
As Himself
150 posts

Posted:
Is there an "I learned a new move entirely on accident, thought it was awesome and then saw it had been done before and was a little let down" thread? lol

That name is really long....

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i learned spiral wraps the other day on accident tongue2

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Accidentally did the motion for an isolated 3bt weave. After that everything fell into place. Its not perfect but I can definitely do it.

Also I saw someone do this and was able to do it first try. Poi are same direction split time. arms in opposite like its a 4 petal flower in opposites. I've always known about this trick but never tried it or forgot it existed.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I love that one. I do it a lot. My favorite is doing that flower while turning left to right so I stay facing in front of me. It looks so badass grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I was just spinning in the living room with a mirror behind my back. Got kinda distracted by the lights and don't really know what I was doing laugh3 but when I watched them go behind me I got distracted by the lights in the mirror and did a two beat waist wrap laugh3

Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Alright, check this: an overhead, btb one handed butterfly. Never practiced it before, Hell never even thought of it. I was spinning fire just now with an emphasis on butterfly related moves and the thought suddenly occurred when holding a btb butterfly, held it for three good beats before tangling. I'm going to practice this more right now! grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
found i can do same direction or opposite crosser 180/360 and meltdown extension 180/360 randomly trying something new and bam there it was smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Turns like that are almost easier when you don't know what you're doing. In the end if you try to learn them too hard, all you learn is that you need to just spin and the poi will take care of themselves tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I actually learned with a lot of things that all I had to do was turn slower or faster and I was focusing on the poi too much. Many of these things just need you to forget the fact that you are swinging poi and just let them do whatever.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
randomly tried caps and like i have known them my whole life smile

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I somehow naturally did a goofy flower (the easiest one for to do LOL) and last night an inverted 3 beat weave while trying to get a 1.5. I think it was inverted not quite an isolation...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I am still not sure what an inverted weave is. And goofy flowers are awesome. I also randomwly figured out how to do orbitals consistently with my 2mm chains. So now I can impress more with orbitals and not look like a tard failing 3 times before I get it right.

Page: