RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
Ok, I hate to make a thread for this but I am horribly stuck on the three beat weave, and I've been trying to learn it for three days now. I went through a few videos teaching it, and at this point I keep looking at nickcannpoi's video on it on youtube.

My problem is, I can get one poi going, but when I try to get the other going I lose control of both and end up hitting myself multiple times. My shoulders and triceps probably appreciate the workout, but my upper thighs hurt from being struck so often and I've reached the point of epic frustration. If you're familiar with the video, I am stuck just before getting the weave itself going.

It's been suggested to me that my main problem is I'm working with poi that are far too light and that I should make some sock poi. I'm using the fluffy headed poi, and they are extremely light. I guess more weight helps when you're trying to learn the weave?

I'll take any tips you can provide me. This is driving me mad.

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes, more weight will help a lot, it should help guide you through the weave.

I suggest looking at Nick Woolsey's video on Playpoi or Youtube. I found it more helpful than any other ones. He usually goes much more in depth than other videos.

I'd suggest just adding something on to the end of your head, maybe something that slides down your chain for weight.

I'll definately have to meet up with you sometime when the weather's warmer wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
try to learn the hand movements first, right hand over, left hand over. remember to count each beat, so eveytime a hand is at the lowest point count, there should be three each side, two with the leading hand; one with the following.

also maybe hold some sticks as replacement poi so you can do it way slow to work out the positioning. once the hand positions are familiar then throw in the poi, maybe try to make the circles as slow as you can and emphasis the hand movements to begin with. With the poi you need to keep the momentum so when you focus on one poi, the other still needs to move perfect or it will stall, go on the wrong plane which will muck you around.

with the 3bt weave there is only one way for your hands to go without tangling(without twists of the wrists -5bt- or wrapping) so if you make a mistake they tangle.
This makes it way frustrating to work out but I can garantee it that when you do get it it will click and you will have it forever. Then comes the fun of wrapping your head around a backwards 3bt grin

best of luck, let us know if you need more help; or when you finally do get it!

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
also maybe think about that when your doing your third spin on one side, the other hand that just did the second spin is now leading across the body at the same time. so your transitioning and completing at the same time, you cant finish one and then move onto the other or you get tangled and whacked

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

2,280 posts

Posted:
WAIT!!! I remember something! you can shorten your poi a lot, but take one arm and make a giant circle going from under one arm to over it and to the other side, then do that with the other arm.

So it's just making the motions with your arms instead of just the poi and hands.

Same aspect of how to learn thread the needle, just keep making the arm movements smaller and smaller until its just your hands moving grin

This is such a good way to learn a lot of things.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've learned a lot pretty fast, and it still took me almost a week to get the three beat weave, so don't feel bad if it's frustrating. I like Nick Cann's videos, but ultimately I didn't find that one too useful. As mentioned above, practice the hand motions past the point where you think it feels natural, and try and get a two beat weave with either hand on top. And remember that whatever hand you lead across your body with in a forward weave will go under the other arm; a few people I was teaching this weekend were really tripping over the desire to put their leading hand on top, which leads to instant tangles.

Besides that, it's usually a timing thing that gets folks, and you can feel that out eventually.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
^^ He's right up there

Also, when you learn this, learn the 5bt afterwards so you get used to the feeling of adding beats/twisting up your hands early on

It seems that a lot of people get it really fast, and others took a long time on the 3bt

Btw, it actually took me a couple days to figure out the 3bt and learn it.

Things people are doing on video look so confusing when you first start, don't they? grin

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
i used this video for learning the reverse three beat, wish i had done it for the forwards

and

bit of a different way of doing it. but everyone ive taught how to weave with this method learned pretty quick

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I too think that heavier poi would help, whatever else you do: I have some of the fluffy poi - at 55g per head they're very light (the pro led poi are 80g and the lightest fire poi 75g dry).

I operated on my fluffy poi and inserted some lead weights to bring them up to 70g each (it was a bit fiddly lining them up along the metal frame so they don't fly out when spun so don't get started on that unless you like craft type fiddling), socks with some dry rice or similar in would work better than unmodded fluffy poi.

I suggest you watch all the vids available (HOP, Nick Woolsey, Nathaniel Everist linked above and Nick Cann) as they all have slightly different takes on it, one might just click for you.

Nick Woolsey didn't have his beginner series up when I learnt the 3bt weave, I found Nick Cann's the most helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickcannpoi#p/u/7/NCIQElIPfXg

the other thing that helped was doing it holding sticks (about 50cm) first so I could do it really slowly, to get the arm movements worked out. Once I had the arm movements down switching to poi was fairly easy.

Good luck with it!

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
If anyone was wondering how this is going..

Due to school schedule pressure and bad weather, plus a lack of space in the house to spin (the only clear area has a low ceiling), I stopped practicing for a while, and maybe it was best because I was starting to get a bit pissed at it.

That being said, today I picked up 2 Beat Weave. I think one of my mistakes is I was trying to jump into 3 Beat Weave without Crossovers or 2 Beat Weave, and I can now do both of those.

I'm going to keep working on 2 Beat Weave for a while, then start trying 3 Beat Weave again. Yes, I am progressing very, very slow, but I've always been one of those uncoordinated people who is lucky not to fall down the stairs on a regular basis. Still, I'll take any progress I can get at this point. Huzzah.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Now that you've got the 2 beat the three beat will prove to be much easier.

They way I learned to do it is: start by leading with one hand like you would for a 2bt weave, then bring the other hand over top and allow the "pull" of the poi to guide your hands.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
took me a lil while to get the five beat. I should practice more often lol But five beat is easy now. I love how once something's down, its like "why did I ever have trouble with that?"

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
Ascilith, no kidding. It took me freaking forever to get into 2BW without beating the unholy crap out of my upper thighs, and now I can get in and out of it while barely thinking about it.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's like that for everything. Then someone else tries it and you watch them fail at the easiest move their is. And extensions when I look back on it took me a while to get, which seems ridiculous now, but back then it would like fall a little at the top of the circle.

RingshadowSILVER Member
journeyman
81 posts

Posted:
Aaand I got it. Sort of. Well, more or less.

I'm at the point where I'm doing extra rotations with my arms crossed still and I'm working on cutting those out, but I can cross my arms back and forth and I've basically quit hitting myself.

Curiously enough, it took changing poi to get this far. I've started using a set of sock poi from HoP to practice, and oddly that made it much, much easier to get this far. I guess that's my advise to anyone who's struggling with a move.. if you have more than one set of poi, swap between them and see if something clicks.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah that has helped me a lot. Even doing some things with glowsticks made things click for poi and vice-versa. Also just plain different sets of poi. Also my staffs helped me improve my extention pirouettes. I can keep them on the same plane better instead of turning around like I'm whirling in a circle. Also rope dart helped with feeling a little.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Socks are the best for learning ANYTHING. Tails are awful. Anything light is really bad. I suggest 100g MINIMUM weight. I use 160-200g (200g is very heavy)

hug

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
I agree, heavier is better. I have a pair of "poi" (socks w/homemade juggling balls dropped in the bottom) that are heavy as hell (180.6g each), but they totally help to learn things just sucks when you smack yourself.

I use those often to get the feel for a move and then switch to my lighter (and softer) poi for nailing the move.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
hey check out technical discussion i bumped a thread for all who need it

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
What helped me learn was slowing it down, heavy poi, and remembering exactly how I messed up then freezing in that position for a moment of reflection. Remembering to change which hands cross on each pass is the crucial part to making the 2 beat a 3 beat. Remember to alternate and every time the poi come to a halt take a moment to analyze why it happened.

Hope that helps some.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)