Page:
wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
ok so here is the deal, i run a small entertainment company in columbus ohio called PoiGlo. We specialize in performing Poi at other peoples parties. I am wanting to expand the business into more states. Pleas email me at tim81093@yahoo.com for any questions. And our website is www.poishows.webs.com
Thanks
Tim

A=PoiRsQuaredSILVER Member
I thunk, their four I is.
28 posts

Posted:
Get payed to poi!? Whoooaaa? If you are planning on expanding to denver let me know. To be honest though, I watched you videos on your site, and all I saw was some semi-clean weaves and butterflies, how long have you guys been spinning and how much do you get payed to perform at peoples parties?

Life is Good

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
They get payed, $25 per performance. If you go to Michigan you got me for sure.

And not to sound offensive, but I saw your video and all you did was a 2bt weave that wasn't even kept in split-time and a very off-plane, all-over-the-place butterfly. Nothing else, just a repeat of those 2 things. It's basically what I learned in my first week of poi, but performed in front of an audience and with glowsticks.

So I really do have to ask, how long have you been doing poi, how often do you practice, and why did you actually get into it? And why in hell would you start a business with only that much experience?

But either way, I still would like to be part of a business. But if you do pick one of us up, it seems kind of like our very-newcomers would do better than that video on your website. i myself aspire to be the next Meenik or Nevisoul, or an awesome mix of the two. I shall be Nevinik! tongue2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
the business is only a year and a few months old, ive been performing for about a year, but i only practice when im not doin schoolwork,working two other jobs, so i have very lil time to practice, i just learned a reverse three beat weave. I and one other person i know spins in columbus and grove city, i tried loking for other people in ohio but no ones replied back to me. and my friend is the one that i go to whenever shes free to get help most of the rest time im learning by myslef with lil bit of videos and help.

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
oh and my friend alo is a spinner for the business and i got into cuz its my escape from life really lol, i started the business cuz not many people know about it and i wanted to bring it out of the raves style scenes and into more everyday style parties. The price is 25 dollars each show, and 10 dollars would be set into an account or something so we can expand our business and whatnot, i can explain it more when im like a lil bit more awake lol

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, sounds cool. I wanted to make sure you weren't like, "oh look at this, it looks like money. Let's pick it up right now, practice for a week and perform crazy" And I looked you up on Google Maps, you're a 3.5 hour drive away. If you can get any jobs up my way around Southeast Michigan, you've got me in wink because I can't drive that far to Ohio just for $25 now and then. Also, is there some sort of age limit on that? Because I'm still not 18, you'd have to wait another year and a half to get me if there is.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
how old are you wicca? 25 bucks a show? what is a "show"?

i think yer business model is a little messed up...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
I am 16 years old. A show lasts the length of a song so if you choose a long song you get a long show. $25 dollars is what we charge and that covers the glowsticks or any other poi part that you use, the gas and the personal time there. $10 dollars of the 25 goes back into an account or something that will be used for gas if we need to go a longer distance or to buy new toys or upgrade business. Also there isnt a age limit. I will be changing the website to include other states so if i get a call for someone in michigan i will send it to you spinnerofdetriot if you want to join the business.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Play nice everyone!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Wicca, i would firstly like to wish you all the success in your business. Full kudos to you my man! At 16 having the balls to give being your own boss a shot. One thing stands out to me and that is your motivation. "i got into cuz its my escape from life really lol" (Wicca). I read this as your motivation for spinning poi(forgive me if i have misread or taken the quote out context) and not for getting into business and the business world can break even the strongest people

Be sure to find the balance cause your enjoyment of spinning will show through in your performance and your performance is the bread winner. The best of luck to you.

Peace Out
Trip

EDITED_BY: triptrician (1268365639)

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
i started doin poi cuz it takes my mind away from everything goin on, i started spinning for people and from there i got request t odo it at some parties and they wouldnt take no for a choice when it came to payment, so i just decided to open a business of spinning, i dont do it just for money or anything its to open up everyones minds to see what other people can do and what not lol and please whoever reads this i say what not a lot when i cant think of anything else. I would say its my favorite word. I leanred that when im spinning poi i forget about everything else going on, and when i add emotion to it i learn new things like recently i was really angry while practicing and i leanred the three beat weave lol, i know its a beginners move but i dont have anyone to teach me and i have to practice outside so i have no way to watch videos and practice at the same time, and i take a long time no learn something exspecially if im doing it by myself. I acutally just learn what i can by myself, i see a move that i like and ill go outside and try it, i dont know really and srry if this is confusing anyone with how much its jumping around.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: wicca15 i take a long time no learn something exspecially if im doing it by myself. I acutally just learn what i can by myself, i see a move that i like and ill go outside and try it,

That's pretty much what I'm doing - I bought some LED at a belly dance festival, brought them home (regional NSW, AUS), found some tutes on the web and started teaching myself. With stuff like the 3 beat weave it was back and forth between the computer and outside. No matter though - I have fun and I get better, slowly.

Originally Posted By: wicca15 i dont know really and srry if this is confusing anyone with how much its jumping around.

A bit of punctuation would help wink but it's fine for me.

wrt your shows - presumably it wouldn't keep you fed by itself but it seems fine for your demographic and a great place to start - good luck with it.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ah! Not the dreaded Fushigi! Fushigi sounds like something out of Naruto tongue2

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
ok im confused on what Fushigi is....lol dont kill me with this lol

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Fushigi Yûgi...

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
ok so spinner or detroit contact me by email with poi job as the subject and ill start working out everything for u to join us along with u A=Poirsquared and if anyone else wants to join from a different state just email me and well work it out

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, I should be getting a phone soon and I'll email you when I do so you can use that number.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
25 dollars a show? Cheap price for fire spinning. I'd say try higher. But be ready to put on a good quality show first. From the sounds of things you don't know very many moves and aren't very cleaned up for a year of spinning.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Pommy BubblesGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
i don't want to be rude but after watching your vid on your site i wouldn't pay 25 buck for that. you need to practice more and learn a variety of moves, and when making a video try to ensure there is enough light to see you, YOU are the performer, at the moment it's just a pair of lights

2,280 posts

Posted:
One thing, if I'm doing it, I'm good enough to need more than 25, especially for fire. When you're good, you can get way more than 25 bucks. There is actually a thing called "Alive" at some non-denomination church near me and I think I'll perform there later for some publicity.

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
25 is for the LED/glowsticks poi, i can raise it to 30 would that be alright cuz the fire eating costs 35 for an hour. so if they see that ur 35 and something else is 35 theyll go with what they can get more out of. So let me know

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, it also depend on how much I'm doing. Like how many performances at the same party. Also because I'm gonna be learning staff. I am also determined to learn serious glowstringing before my prom so that may take up a lot of my time instead for a while.

1,264 posts

Posted:
are you kidding me? Your charging 35 for fire eating...? The hell...? Fire eating is hardly spectacular. You're making fire disappear...
And I've seen detroit's spinning. Ima say that he'd deserve more than that. He's pretty good and growing better.

Here's a question. What's your safety policy?

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
if u read my website ull it its 35 and hour broken up into small groups so it isnt 35 dollars for like a song length or anything its for a whole hour. So b4 u start saying stuff make sure u have everything right. And u may have seen him spin but i havent yet. Its one of the requirements to getting a job with me, i have to see some photos, a video, pics of ur self, and alot of other information. So yea think twice b4 posting and make sure u get ur facts in order and know everything. And to clear everyhting up about the video on the video page of my website was tooken when i was less then a year old at performing. The two on the first page are or my other performer TOX (the first link) and of me (second link, and still not a year old at it)
Thanks
Wicca

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Um sorry your site says light shows, do you only do glow? In the UK you need to have public liability insurance to do shows with fire legally (cover up to £5 Million for council work) and that's quite expensive, please tell me you aren't doing fireshows without insurance frown Professional performers have all manner of health and safety aspects to adhere to which cost them a lot of money and for which they pay to earn a livlihood, average cost per hour - (UK price changed via exchange rate) $500 to cover cost of travel, insurance, fuel and living.

Please be careful, one fire started by an uninsured performer can have terrible repercussions on the professionals in the same sector. Not to mention the massive legislative costs YOU would face if anyone was hurt or property damaged.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"But Alan, won't you please think of the Children!"

"Children, Petunia? From where I stand, I see no children. Only mere memories of loved ones, squatting over Cactii in the desert of hopelessness. Only the pain and suffering of having splinters of wood forced into your eyes by a squint-eyed seal in a Nazi officer's unform. The rest is too painful for me to recall".

"Umm... ok."

There's a lot you could learn from this.

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
ummmmm ok u would need to explain this to me, but i hope other posters will know that this is to find people that want to perform for money in my business that lives in other states
Thanks

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you thought what it might mean backwards?

/cryptic

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
im srry i stayed up all night so my brain isnt working well could u just explain it please lol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The wise man explains with an air of mystery.
The foolish man explains in riddles.

I'm sorry you stayed up all night too.
I slept very well, though I think that that is more to do with my leaking gas fireplace than anything else.

1,264 posts

Posted:
Lol you posted earlier that its 35 dollars an hour. Still not spectacular enough to put as a higher price as fire spinning. Again, your eating fire. Poi is far more spectacular even for one song, Especially with how good some of these people are that your trying to recruit. I get that you have to see them spin. That's a duh. I'm saying 30 dollars for a good spinner is hardly worth it. I'm sure if advertized correctly and quality good enough, you could get at least 50 if not more. So far it seems like I've known everything that you've told me...

Lol okay, then change your video, cuz right now you look really really unprofessional. If your better now, put better videos on. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting somebody else on there. B/c those are really unimpressive. Relax a bit dude, if you cant take criticism and skepticism, howr you gonna perfect a business? Most people on this site are friends or very good people, you should understand the skepticism. I wouldn't want to see any of them screwed by your business if it's not professional or safe. Plus at the rates your setting, it's hardly worth it for many performers on this site. You can say perform for money, money enticing people, but more details otherwise people will take this apart.
Sry, this bothers me. It's taken, not tooken.

You still haven't answered the insurance or safety questioning. Mynci is very correct when he says that you could be in for a lawsuit with a fire accident.

Cheers
Ascilith

Page: