KittehRaverSILVER Member
=^,-,^=
35 posts

Posted:
Ok, I was interested in getting a pair of fire fans, but need some feed back on which fans would be good for a beginner. Any opinion is welcomed!

I'm the resident Vampyre Kitteh!
NYAH!

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

PaxieSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I was wondering about the exact same, but I am more between the Large fire fans and the Rope fire fans (which is more economic for me), but I am kind of worried about how you handle them before and after fire spinning.
I am trained with poi, but I usually just dip the poi in a bottle of lamp oil (or pour it over), should I just pour it over the fans? Or how do you do? And what about afterward?
And is there a difficulty difference between "ordinary" fans with the 'finger' style, or the rope fan?

Sorry if I steal the topic, but it's mostly just an addition to the original question.

- Paxie / Kat

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
No worrys.

Right first things first I’ve never used one of the rope ones although I admit they do look very cool.

So… First thing first you will probably find them heavy. Fans do put strain on muscles you don’t normally use so if I was you I would practice practice and practice before lighting up.

Apart from that all I can say really is follow your normal fire safety.
Spinning off could be a pain in the ass. I got a load of plastic chemical bottles from work a couple of holes in the sides and a bit of string later I could slot them over the wicks. It works for me. I guess you could make some sort of cover that soaks up excess fuel.
Any ideas people?

Fuel. What you use for your poi should be fine. I go with paraffin (kerosene)

After spinning depending on how much fuels left I either shake them out, blow them out or the good old damp towel. Duvetyn (think that’s the spelling) will look better and work just as well to smother it. I keep meaning to get hold of some but always think next time.
Mind you I do this for my pleasure so I really don’t care how it looks.

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Folding-Fans-with-spring-action

These ones are pretty good. I've used them before and the collapsible aspect is neat. And if you're worried about weight they're almost half the weight of the other fans

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Did that fella Charlie ever manage to work in a finger hole for spins on those spring loaded fans? Im still waiting for that version to come out.

There are long plastic dip trays that you can place a bit of fuel in and then then soak the wicks, rather than pouring it over the wicks.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Last I saw he had a prototype made up. I think he's still setting himself up where he's relocated to so maybe soon there will be some more developments

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Update on the folding fans here;

[Old link]

I think maybe i should make a dedicated thread for them?

Long story short, My planned release date is 1st March, and I'm fairly sure HoP will be stocking them.

P.S. Thanks for the plug Puff wink

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
grin

hexacotoSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
So Charlie is working on a collapsible, spring-loaded fire fan with a finger hole for spins? Great! Can't wait for it to come out! Hope it won't be too expensive!

156 posts

Posted:
Yes i am indeed, though sadly delayed by (hopefully) not more than a week.

As for price, i'm doing everything i can to keep them well under the NZ$250 mark (they are currently NZ$225) as i am terribly conscious of the fact the are the most expensive folding fire fans in the world... Not that i regret that, the little buggers take over 2 hours a set to manufacture wink

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Hmmm what that about 115 pounds sterling? You know thats not that bad.

156 posts

Posted:
With the Gora fan being 70 pounds, it's around 40% dearer.

This is how to sell your product 101 wink you tell everyone there is a cheaper version out there.

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Grin. Hay depinding on things like postage you probbably have a sale here.

156 posts

Posted:
Fairly sure HoP has pretty sharp freight costs smile (i know they blow mine out of the water anyway)

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
As in low or high?

Would love to get some fans. Collapsible that much more useful?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Hmmm you dont want to take my money? rolleyes Lalalalalalaaaa lalala

156 posts

Posted:
As in low freight cost.

Collapsible allows easier dipping for one (fold it up and dip all the wicks at the same time) and some would say more expressive dance as you have closed fans with one large flame or you can open them to multiple small ones, and/or alternate between open and closed as you perform. Think Traditional Chinese Fan style e.g. Tai Chi Mulan style or some such

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

hexacotoSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Hi Charlie, I was wondering where you ring for finger spins are located? Are you going to place the ring inside the design (aka the kind the static fans have in HOP) or outside, like Sage's design? I was wondering how the transition from gripping the fan with my fingers in the fan to outside the fan would flow.

Personally I think having the ring inside the fan (using your diagram in the other post) is more useful in terms of speedy transitions:

Centered/Balanced
[WICK]------|-O------(o)

Or top heavy
[WICK]------|------O-(o)

With your Centered/Balanced design, can my third finger still reach the ring? Would be great if you could put up some prototype pictures, or would that be divulging trade secrets?

Wow at >$200, I think I better start saving. But I still look forward to your product! Also, I realized that if you registered 4 days later, Charlie, your date of registration would be 06/06/06 haha.

156 posts

Posted:
In the end i have gone for the top heavy design [WICK]------|------O-(o)

And yes, even with the centred balanced design the third finger could sit inside the ring, however due to popular demand this design was shelved in favor of the top heavy design. That said, i can arrange once off customs with any arrangement if a specific customer requests it.

I am contemplating releasing a wick-less design which will bring the cost down a lot, and a souped up powder coated edition too which will take the cost UP, but the latter looks dead sexy.

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

156 posts

Posted:
Folding finger spinning fire fan updates on this thread from now on

[Old link]

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)