dan~d~lionBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
hey ya~all. this is my first of many posts im sure. so i have a few questions for all ya all out there who can help a few of us out here. so does anybody know where to buy kevlar rope wick at wholesale price. and im not talking like for what homeofpoi or othere poi stores sell it at, i want it for what they get the spools for. and another thing for all you kiddys out there who r tieing up monkeyfists. so on a set of fire poi do you tuck the ends in the knot? and if so how do they stay securly inside the knot? thanks to anyone who can help us out here. much appreciated and stay warm.

WoodsyBRONZE Member
Spanking you kindly.
156 posts

Posted:
Contact the admin of HoP and he should be able to answer your question regarding the reel of kevlar.

and with the monkey fist, both ends stay tucked it, but one end is a bit looser, so just either sew the end into the knot itself with the sewing needle on HoP/shop area, or (this isnt recommended) apply a small amount of strong adhesive to the end of the long piece of rope and then leave it to set and dry over night, But when you do a first burn with it, dont spin with it because the adhesive might be poisonous when on fire =/

Woodsy:Down with the sound, and the people will all yell: "POWER IS MEASURED IN, DECIBEL".
Poje: not Joules?
Woodsy: No...Never grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
If you want to buy at the price the poi stores get it for you're gonna have to go direct to the source and be prepared to buy an awful lot more than one spool. That's how retail/wholesale/supplier pricing works. The source (mill) is not interested in selling one or 2 rolls/spools at a time and have a minimum order quantity usually at a lot of spools. So the people who buy that many are taking a risk and tying up their cash in stock. It's only fair they get some return on that risk by charging different prices for retail and wholesale purchases of their stock.

That's how it works. And on top of that, places like Home of Poi often have their own custom mix which is their own intellectual property and wrth something. They invest time, money and effort in improving the properties of their product so you should be supporting them in their efforts to improve the quality/price for everyone by buying off them. The suplying mills don't understand the firepoi end application so places like HoP suggesting the changes they need is necessary to improve things for the fire spinners. It's a bit like downloading "free" music - someone somewhere (the artist) is missing out on their rightful return from their efforts and if it becomes the norm the artists can't survive.

Sorry if this sounds like an over-eaction/rant to your question, but I read into your question something along the lines that made me feel it warranted.

For the monkey fist - there are instructions on the site on how to make them.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

dan~d~lionBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
right on georgemc, no i dont feel like that at all. its actually a very understandable concept. i just havent really thought of it from that viewpoint before. to be honest i dont really have the cash to buy a hundred spools of it. thats probally why im looking for the cheepest ones. but thanks for both of your advice it is appreciated and helpful. anyone else?

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
PS I was speaking there from a place of reasonable knowledge on the subject - I was (just over a year ago) Admin & GM at HoP before moving on to my current role elsewhere.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Given you want a whole roll (20m?) your planning to build a few of them, I'd suggest you hit HoP up, you can apply for wholesale pricing here;

https://www.homeofpoi.com/company/contact_form.php?subject=3

The lovely Nell will explain to you all of the ins and outs of being a wholesale customer.

But if i were you, i would first buy just enough to make one set of them 5 or 6m depending on your efficiency at knot tieing (two 4 ply monkey fists with 10mm kev rope use about 4.8m of rope but you need just over 5m to tie them.) to make sure you can actually do it right, because a saving of $30 might cost you 3 hours of your time and create something not terribly durable, and personally, my time is worth more than $10/hr wink

Or better yet, do what i did, buy the cheapest normal rope you can thats a similar size and make 4 or 5 practice knots first (not for fire use), you need to get the core the right size to get a good knot (other than great technique obviously...)

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)