Forums > Technical Discussion > The best kind of rope to make a rope dart?

Login/Join to Participate

FireJinnBRONZE Member
Sage of many fires
22 posts

Posted:
Hey my question is "What is the best type of rope to use to make a rope dart?" Pay attention: Because I will test all suggested and give feedback.
Thanks.

Mark

LiveWireSILVER Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
A fire rope dart or a practice one?
I've just made a fire one and the rope on that is a soft acrylic type that you'd find on a dog lead. strong but comfortable when it flys through my hands. (and of corse for fire i have a legnth of chain between the rope and the wick)
Also for fire you can use kevlar rope

I'd say Go look for comething comfy, cos trust me rope dart with a hard nylon rope will give you mad blisters.
I've played with a few HOP practice ones and still found the rope uncomfortable.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Something soft.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

bubblebongBRONZE Member
Reincarnated Woodelf
17 posts

Posted:
For non fire you can use normal climbing rope, the thinner the better, but not thicker than your pinky finger. I never had problems with blisters and by now the skin on my hands is hard enough to use pretty much any rope and not get burned. Also, climbing rope gets softer with use.

For fire dart I would do as LiveWire suggests (I never burned fire before so Im only guessing). A chain (as thick as the rope you use) between the rope and the dart would do the trick, about half a meter to one meter maybe? I heard kevlar ropes arent the best for rope darts, they are to rough.

Aliens abducted me! They made me wear a funny hat.

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
for non-fire: 1/4 inch solid braid nylon.

it may be more useful to tell you what NOT to use. never use "twisted" rope, or "twine." watch out for "diamond braid" rope - this is a braided sleeve w/ a textile or who-knows-what inner core.

solid braid is the best. for fire, i would use 1/4" solid braid hemp or cotton rope, but i haven't been able to find it in any of the hardware stores where i live.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
See if you can locate a braided bondage rope. All of the ones I researched are twisted, but you can imagine they'd be softer on flesh.

Think about a length of thin silk, which can be super soft on your hands, like the ones from here: https://www.shaolinropedart.com/

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

JunreikusuGOLD Member
renaissance ronin
1 post

Posted:
Is colecord a valid option for rope darts? I know that the flowtoys dart uses a very similar, albeit slightly rougher cord, but I have never tried it. It's so soft for use with poi, and relatively cheap.
Is there a minimum recommended thickness?

SamhmanSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Kevlar

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
^^^Kevlar

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
go to a martial arts surplus and buy one that way u can get and actual feel for it

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee

letitburnslacker of biblical proportions
44 posts

Posted:
u might wanna change the metal wieght at the end untill you get comfortable enough with it

float like a butterfly and sting like when i pee