Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hallo there.

Once again, my search didn't turn up anything, but if there actually is already a thread on this, let me know.

Derek is inciting a collaborative video effort, so I decided to see how my spinning showed up on my camera, and it turns out not great. The heads (tennis balls on one pair, pink duct tape on the other) just turn into whispy streaks on video. If someone thinks camera settings are more relevant, I can post later with the model, but first I wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas on physical modifications to the poi that could help. I'm trying to avoid sock poi or buying new cone poi if possible; going to toy with reflective tape, but any other ideas?

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Watch your background?

Not really sure though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Probably is 90% of the problem. Also maybe They'd be better on a rare, non-overcast day... I'll pick a day to roam with the camera a bit for more backgrounds to see if certain backdrops help.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Cone poi in bright colours maybe or use bright coloured ribbons to make tails for them??

Thinking about it, the daylight teaching vids I find easiest to follow have all been shot using cone poi, against a contrasty background.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Right, though as I mentioned, I am trying to avoid buying a new set of poi. It's a simple solution, but also a bit of a costly one. Though it's looking like not a lot of alternatives are coming up...

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
you could try to change the framerate and the focus points on the camera, or instead of buying new poi, you could buy a new camera?
EDITED_BY: WoodlandApple (1263043536)

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I can almost guarantee that new poi are cheaper. tongue2

Could also be part of the problem though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
What sort of background were you filming against? Pink poi and tennis balls are both bright, and would therefor need to be against a dark background.
The camera might be another problem.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenRight, though as I mentioned, I am trying to avoid buying a new set of poi. It's a simple solution, but also a bit of a costly one. Though it's looking like not a lot of alternatives are coming up...

Another thing to try (depending on the effect you're after) might be to make the poi heavier so you can swing slower which will make them easier to see. I've been doing an intermediate poi vid intensive and comparing meenik's vids to the ones here he spins much more slowly when he's teaching: besides the bright green and orange I think he must have a fair bit of weight in there.

If you or anyone in your vicinity has even rudimentary sewing skills and access to a basic sewing machine cone poi are easy to make: 2 pieces, bottom 1/2 or so the cone, the rest a tether looped over at the top to make a single loop handle. I just leave a gap 1/2 way up to put the weight in, g force will keep it in whilst you're spinning, it doesn't need velcro.

Or adding ribbons to what you have to make a tail - there's some teaching vids on 3 worlds showing tail poi in daylight, they show up nicely.