Forums > Social Chat > No Wikipedia on spinners

Login/Join to Participate

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I got bored and went on Wikipedia and I found out that Wikipedia has no pages for any of our famous spinners, for example, no Nick Woolsey or Meenik, no Thomas Johansson or Nevisoul, no Alien Jon. They're just not there. You think with all of these spinners that look up to people like this, at least ONE of them would have a Wikipedia page!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it's a do-ocracy

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
There are some things that can't stay up on Wikipedia. Think I remember a vague furor over detailed articles on webcomics and webcomic characters a while back... not sure if I'm making this up or not though

Just a dancer in the dark

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOS©
34 posts

Posted:
What is the point of making celebrities out of these spinners?

I admit that the videos created by these people have helped me grasp some concepts and understand certain patterns/moves. Raising them to some sort of celeb/deity status doesn't make spinning any more fun or interesting.

Like Poje said, it's a do-ocracy. It is everyone's responsibility to keep moving poi (and all skill toys etc) into new and progressive territories.

no disrespect, but ya' dig?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SeasprayThere are some things that can't stay up on Wikipedia. Think I remember a vague furor over detailed articles on webcomics and webcomic characters a while back... not sure if I'm making this up or not though

You are not. The argument over this was based around the concept of notability. Apparently some webcomics (including long running ones such as Schlock Mercenary) were not notable enough.

So was a certain Tom Smith who has won a bunch of awards in the filk and dementia music scene.

I am sure that they will see this in exactly the same light.

On the gripping hand, there are some jugglers noted, but I am not sure that it is entirely the same, since we have no competitions and are a smaller community anyway. There are no official standards within the poi world. At least that I know of.

Maybe a Notable Spinners page could work, but you will also need glowstringers and similar.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dr.BabsWhat is the point of making celebrities out of these spinners?

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you" is all I have to say.

smile

We are people.
The average person on the street doesn't give two sh1ts about a hobbyist.

Don't make a Wiki article, or I'll vandalise it. tongue2

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
make a wiki one i wanna see ucfo vandlize it just to see what he would do lol wink

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Probably replace every word in the article with "poo".

grin

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOS©
34 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootProbably replace every word in the article with "poo".

grin

aww I know you could do better than that hahaha grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dr.BabsWhat is the point of making celebrities out of these spinners?

I admit that the videos created by these people have helped me grasp some concepts and understand certain patterns/moves. Raising them to some sort of celeb/deity status doesn't make spinning any more fun or interesting.

Like Poje said, it's a do-ocracy. It is everyone's responsibility to keep moving poi (and all skill toys etc) into new and progressive territories.

no disrespect, but ya' dig?
I get it, that's aq good point, I just kind of figured they would be famous enough that someone out in this world woud've made one. Maybe the people that would are too busy spinning and having fun to have the time to sit down and make one laugh3 ubbrollsmile laugh3
Of course maybeit's because we are spinners that they're just famous in our minds, but in all reality it's not really that big of a following behind them when you put into perspective of other things. But there are things on there that you look at it and you're like how the :consored: did that get on there? And it turns out to be a religous following with 27 followers that put up a Wiki page laugh3
Or maybe it came into my head because American society is so based on celebrityies smirk hmm Maybe but of course that would be up to the perspective of other countries to judge compared to them, as I have none grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Dr.BabsOriginally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootProbably replace every word in the article with "poo".

grin

aww I know you could do better than that hahaha grin

Oh come on UCOF Imagination.... i was thinking mass destruction maybe a bit of marmite splattering

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing