Forums > Help! > Flying domestically in the USA to Maui how is security about Poi supplies?

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Has anyone flown with their Poi and how did checking baggage work? Do fire heads have to be unused and other supplies have no traces of fuel or any suspicious smells?

I plan to light it up in Hawaii while I visit my parents for the Christmas holidays, but don't want any trouble at the Airport. Anyone with experience transporting their gear on US domestic flights I'd love to hear from you!!!

I'm making an order this weekend and can just as easily order some virgin fire heads to carry with me if I have to advice on transporting a Staff would be good as well as I'll be investing in my first wink

thankx

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
many answers to this, you can find more by using the search function...

Poi: From what i hear, remove the heads from the chains and pack em separate if ya can. burn out all the fuel in the heads. put heads into plastic bag/ziplock shouldn't have a problem.

Staff: What i did when i flew to Michigan was i got a 6 foot PVC pipe and 2 PVC end caps. i glued one end cap on, and attached a strap to the tube. put your address on the tube just in case, ya know? then staff in tube then put the other end cap on, no glue.
i had absolutely no problem getting it thru.

just know that YMMV and each airport TSA dude is different. so taking your toys on the plane is inherently risky

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
many answers to this, you can find more by using the search function...

Poi: From what i hear, remove the heads from the chains and pack em separate if ya can. burn out all the fuel in the heads. put heads into plastic bag/ziplock shouldn't have a problem.

Staff: What i did when i flew to Michigan was i got a 6 foot PVC pipe and 2 PVC end caps. i glued one end cap on, and attached a strap to the tube. put your address on the tube just in case, ya know? then staff in tube then put the other end cap on, no glue.
i had absolutely no problem getting it thru.

just know that YMMV and each airport TSA dude is different. so taking your toys on the plane is inherently risky

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Poje, I take it your staff was checked in and not carry on?
I always send mine as a carry on, which caused it to bend last time frown
but as far as i know, carrying something that can be easily seen as a weapon onto a plane isn't a good idea =\

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I didn't intend on carrying on the Poi, that was going to be checked. I was a flight attendant 5 years ago and the restrictions have lessened in recent years, I know a staff in the appropriate casing can be carried on and put with the guitars and other awkward items in the closet in the galley. The PVC idea is a really good one for appropriate casing thanks so much for that!!! I'm going to check out a sportsman's store to see if there is anything else suitable just incase.

I was going to check the Poi (due to the chains alone) and my biggest concern was possible fumes that would set off the rampers who do the loading or TSA dogs. I'll do my research but all practical accounts and experiences are very much appreciated.

thankx peace

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
yes the staff was checked on. A case that would work for staff is a fishing pole case...if the staff fits. The cool thing about the PVC tube is that the end caps fit on tightly so its a real pain in the ass to get off without something to knock it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!