Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > When to resume Poi practice after an illness?

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Hey there everyone, I've been absent from the board for a few days due to the Flu and being wiped out from the sickness plus the medications given to me for my sickness. I'm on a week long course of Prednisone because this virus has set my asthma out of control, I'm also on a course on very strong antibiotics due to a secondary infection along with cough syrup and my regular asthma/allergy medications.

I'm wondering at what point is it safe to resume vigorous activity like Poi under these circumstances. I'm just a beginner, but with my heart rate and respiration being affected I think I at least need to take it easy until I finish those week long courses of meds. If I still have any lingering minor sickness after that I'll play it by ear because I've had to do work and such with mild sickness before many times in life. My brain isn't all there so I know not to even try to spin until that is working properly again! duck

Have any of you guys had to make this judgment call in your practicing due to illness and what worked for you? Have you pushed yourself to early maybe or just waited long enough for the exercise to be a benefit to getting fully well? Advice would be most appreciated.

*just can't stand being sluggish and drained* tired

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
You could still practice stalls and such until you're feeling better. They don't really require too much effort. If you shorten the poi you could even practice while sitting down crazy

But yeah, I'd avoid the more intense stuff til you're feeling good again.

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Just be sensible?

Not been sick enough for long enough to have to worry about it myself though....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem... usually if I'm sick enough that its possible I could do any harm to myself... then I probably feel too sick to want to do poi anyway.

hug

787 posts

Posted:
I'm just trying to avoid a rebound illness from possibly doing too much when you "think" you're up to it. As soon as I stop relying on my rescue inhaler I'll get back to warming up, slow swinging, and plane control then go back to usual once I'm done my course of meds.

Cabin fever is no fun and I'm just plain stir crazy, my body doesn't feel good from not using it, but over use has been causing coughing fits and asthmatic problems so once that stops I'll try a gentle re-entry.

I don't feel so horrible any more that I can't do anything, I'm just in that delicate recovery stage where I don't want to do too much but would love to relieve my tight muscles, sluggishness, and get my body into shape to help with the process.

Hope that made more sense!

I will try working on some stalls though, I think I can handle that just fine and my brain would be happy for some exercise. yes
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1257793426)

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Everybodies body is different... for me it would do me good to get some exercise in.

Good luck getting betterer!! I hate getting sick. frown

Try juggling/contact juggling?

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
MNS has a good point. Poi is tons of fun, but but branching out has a positive effect on your other skills. I couldn't get waist wraps until I started doing some staff work, my poi has more flow from doing contact. With the cold winter months ahead and from the severity of your existing asthma condition, maybe picking up contact juggling this winter would be nice. HoP was a really nice practice ball in the shop.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/MB-Single-100mm-stage-contact-juggling-ball

I perfer these over heavy acrylics, and when you drop them its a soft sound rather than a loud thud. And when learning CJ, you will drop a lot.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

787 posts

Posted:
I'd love to branch out with some more skill activities that I can do indoors. The winter months are a little rough on the wind pipes for me so the more I can do indoors that will help with timing and coordination the better. *has found devil sticks indoors can be a big "no-no" LOL*

I was planning on doing another order before Christmas time so I'll definitely look into it grin My body and brain like to be worked out simultaneously, but I like to keep the apartment free from disasters as well. Thanks for the input guys, all advice and innovations that help with good health and poi/skill improvement are most appreciated! thankx

~Rock on!~