DanKenyonstranger
22 posts

Posted:
just wondering if you guys could take a look at my pics and let me know what you think, thanks in advance

https://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r244/Kenyon2007/Poi/

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
They are generic and not very interesting.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
to be more constructive - learn some specific moves and learn the way that the poi moves. while you're doing them. Then do the same move as you take the photos.

Flowers being one of the most impressive.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=3

Just randomly playing with them and taking photos are probably good for impressing your mates, but around here we're not going to care too much for it.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

LkLjourneyman
79 posts

Posted:
how do you get the flower pictures like the one of yutas flower?
do you just take a picture or do you need a special camera or anything?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i agree with spanner, thats the only pic i particularly like of your set.

camera does have an effect on the type of shots you get, but obviously better cameras cost more, i've only ever taken shots of spinning with a film SLR and a digital SLR, generally you'll need a camera with a manually adjustable shutter release so you can take long exposures, that said im sure you could play with the effects of many cheaper digital cameras to get decent results.

it can also depend on how luminous your glow poi are.

really photography of spinning is an entire artform in itself, i expect that photo of Yuta was taken by someone else controlling the camera, they probably planned the whole photo.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Sorry, don't think you specifically need to do flowers by the way! The flower was more of an example of a shot where it's a specific move with a planned shot to be taken rather than just snaps of random spinning.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DanKenyonstranger
22 posts

Posted:
we were just playing around :(, and i know the pics could be better but for a £20 digital camera i dont think there to bad. and tbh im getting bored of flower pics aswell, i know im not the best spinner but come on lets see something different

DanKenyonstranger
22 posts

Posted:
and tbh honest, i know a fair few moves, i just know my planes are off and always have been, those pics were just flying around there are butterflys 3bw buzzsaw pics in there i think i got a pic of a 5bw in there to so saying to learn specific tricks is a bit well you know

philhewsBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I think the point is to take a particular move, say 3 beat weave and look at the pattern/shapes the poi heads make at all the different stages of the move, that way you can find what would be a clean shape that is technically a better photo and doesn't look like a blurry mess due to the poi passing almost the same line several times.

It is difficult to take a great poi photo, it is almost impossible without a lot of luck if you don't use an SLR camera as you don't have the control.

From my experience you can get a lot of bad shots before working out which part of what move will look the best combined with the angle and the amount of time you need the shutter open to capture exactly the right movement.

If you want to take good clean poi photos then I'd suggest you do it with better than a £20 point and click digi camera.

Poi is an art, so is photography, to combine the two is difficult, but it can lead to some beautiful shots so keep trying.