Forums > Social Chat > Alien Jon's Laptop is dead

Login/Join to Participate

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
RIP my crap Win XP laptop!

Unfortunately that means that communications in general, and organizing travel, workshops, etc, and making poi simulations, and other media content to share with the community is rather tricky now.

I want to get a Macbook Pro for my next Laptop, based on travelability and performance, and smooth user experience, and the ability to dual boot windows and mac OS... and because I have an unhealthy relationship with the MS platform and would rather use mac OS to focus on completing important tasks and contributing to the community rather than dinking around with windows based problems.

We all pitched in an got Richee a camera... hopefully we see some video soon... EDIT: Hasty words. Sorry Richee! hug

If any of you want to help me with getting a new laptop, please contribute here. It is much appreciated:
https://www.playpoi.com/new-laptop-for-Alien-Jon

If anyone can make a valid suggestion for a more cost effective alternative to a Macbook Pro, please do comment!

EDIT: If you would like to discuss what videos you'd like to see me create and share, please do so in this thread: [Old link]

EDITED_BY: AlienJon (1253379920)
EDIT_REASON: the importance of saying please

+Alien Jon

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Get a laptop with XP on it.
Put Ubuntu on it.
That'll dual boot lovely.

Its better than a Mac, and doesn't scream "Im a Mactard".

Quote:We all pitched in an got Richee a camera...

yeah, but he didn't ask for one if I remember rightly.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Quote:We all pitched in an got Richee a camera...

Yep in hindsight this was a bit reactionary and should probably have been omitted.
To Richee and anyone who took offense: Sorry, I get carried away some times.

Originally Posted By: SpannerOriginally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootyeah, but he didn't ask for one if I remember rightly. ^^^ this! ^^^

What I was trying to articulate and utterly failed at was exactly ^^^ this! ^^^:

Richee didn't ask for a camera, but a bunch of us wanted to see video of what he was trying to communicate, so we got him a camera. Perhaps he didn't ask because he wasn't in a good position to make us videos. Although I have heard that He has gotten video to Meg and hopefully we will see it some day.

I on the other hand am asking. I want to make more simulations and more live videos (and the integration of the 2) to share. So I figured why not ask publicly, so that those who feel compelled to help have the opportunity (if people aren't aware of the situation they don't even have the opportunity). For those who don't want to, I would never think any less of you, since I am asking for donations after all.

Ultimately if this successfully helps me raise some or all of the funds, It is also a bit of a social contract to keep me focused on making the videos that I want to share, even when my life is busy.

Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootGet a laptop with XP on it.
Put Ubuntu on it.
That'll dual boot lovely.

Its better than a Mac, and doesn't scream "Im a Mactard".

Please reread this:

Quote:I want to get a Macbook Pro for my next Laptop, based on travelability and performance, and smooth user experience, and the ability to dual boot windows and mac OS... and because I have an unhealthy relationship with the MS platform and would rather use mac OS to focus on completing important tasks and contributing to the community rather than dinking around with windows based problems.

Show me a laptop that ships with XP and has:
An illuminated keyboard, so that I can more easily work in the dark in the middle of the night in a tent when I am inspired with an idea for a poi simulation.
Multi-touch touchpad, as I have found their functionality on the Macbooks useful. I prefer one that is less glitchy than what Asus uses on their laptops that cost more than Macbook Pros.
Has long battery life, again tent living.
And of course Is light-weight and highly portable, has a sturdy and simple chasey, ie unibody aluminum case... because I have no fixed home and travel all year.

If you can find me an alternative for the same price or less than an entry-level Macbook Pro, that is great because I will have an alternative that meets most of my criteria, and I will thank you for the info.
... but this brings us back to: I want to dual boot Mac OS and Win XP... not because dual booting is cool, but because that will enable me to run the software that I want to run. To my knowledge Ubuntu does not, although I am largely unfamiliar with it... The little I've played with Ubuntu it seems ok, but I need to spend time learning it's ins and outs, and finding software for it that will do what I need, and then I need to learn that too.

Further more I find that most of the people I want to collaborate with are on the Mac platform, and although they are skilled at visual arts and cinema, they are not necessarily IT guys that want to trouble shoot computer issues. Or they run windows, and still don't want to be the IT guy. I don't want to be their IT guy either. Once upon a time long ago I used to be the IT guy, I've been trying to move away from that ever since, but I keep finding myself having to play IT guy on a Windows based platform. It takes up too much of my life. I want my computer to be my tool not my life (hence the unhealthy relationship comment).

Ultimately, I'd rather spend my time on poi and other artistic endeavors working more seamlessly with those who I want to collaborate with.

Hope that clarifies things and I appreciate any more advice you have specifically on how I can realize my stated criteria and goals on a Mac-alternative platform.

+Alien Jon

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Richee has the camera, but as far as I can make out, has quit spinning.

Epic Fail.

Makes meg a sad panda.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
:facepalm:

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think we have been trolled by Richee for years!

I bet he studied English Literature at University, and just wanted a camera.

So came up with the elaborate scheme of having an awesome poin move, then practised bad english, confusing everybody for years and adding "lightning" at the end of his posts, just so that we had to turn to video to see what he meant.

That guy is a genius!

(Will see if I can find time to find you a laptop when I get home - Im leaving work in literally 2 mins)

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootI think we have been trolled by Richee for years!

I bet he studied English Literature at University, and just wanted a camera.

So came up with the elaborate scheme of having an awesome poin move, then practised bad english, confusing everybody for years and adding "lightning" at the end of his posts, just so that we had to turn to video to see what he meant.

That guy is a genius!

(Will see if I can find time to find you a laptop when I get home - Im leaving work in literally 2 mins)

laugh3 ROFLOL crazy

You may be on to something!
Thanks for the support yo.

+Alien Jon

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Macbook Pro FTW.

All of your reasoning is spot on for buying a Macbook Pro (I've got one, btw, and have also used Windows extensively).

A lot of live electronic musicians use MacBook Pros cuz they are powerful and solid enough to handle giging.

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1253243615)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpannerIf considering donating, the kinds of questions I'd want answered (and indeed, those I'd be more than happy to answer if I were to request something on HoP) are:

Certainly

Originally Posted By: SpannerHow did your last laptop break beyond uneconomical repair?
Brief history:
Over the 3 years I had it, it was a bit of a lemon, as in I made use of the 2-year warranty maybe 4 times. On each occasion I had to mail it in, while on the road, and coordinate the return. Each time the mother board was replaced, and on the 3rd the AC adapter.

It is no longer under warranty. After the warranty expired an HP phone tech was kind enough to email me the technical whitepapers and walk me through re-seating the Wifi card, which had been loosened in the last warranty shipping, just before the warranty expired.

Aside from traveling with it, I've engaged in pretty standard use. Others who where working the same Renaissance Festival circuit as myself with laptops of a similar nature (although not the exact model) and similar usage patterns (not 3D Studio MAX, but Photoshop for instance) had absolutely no problems, which seems to bring the probability of environmental stress due to the traveling environment down quite a bit.

I've been a PC user since DOS and Win 3.0. Once apon a time I was a certified PC tech. I've worked on desktops and laptops, been a computer sales person, built, modded and overclocked my own PCs. Aside from this particular laptop, my history of having technology fail on me is near zero. By no means am I up to date and an active tech now, but I know a thing or two about pcs.

What went wrong:
In Bremen Germany, the laptop went totally cold in mid email. When I went to reboot, the BIOS didn't even make it through POST (Power On Self Test). No screen, no PC speaker, no keyboard response (CAPs, numlock toggle, etc). Only, thing it did was flash the power and HD indicator lights in an error code and then go cold again.
I tried it: On AC power with battery, AC without batt, no AC with batt. I tried it after removing all drives (both HDDs, DVD, and any hot drive bays), as in I stripped as close to BIOS/MoBo-only as I could. It always did the same thing. This is similar to what it did on one of the warranty repair occasions.

It's out of warranty service AND I've been traveling Europe all summer, that means it's cheaper to buy a new and up-to-date laptop, then paying shipping, parts and labor on an aging lemon.

I have retrieved the HDDs so hopefully I can recover my localized data at a later date.

Originally Posted By: SpannerHow much are you willing to contribute yourself?
What prevents you from earning the remainder or total sum?
I'm willing to buy an entry-level Macbook Pro entirely by myself.

However, I will be much closer to broke at that point, especially considering some added family costs. Without getting to personal, I'm paying for my mother's plane ticket to come visit my brother and I during my brief return to the USA, because she is going through a divorce and major life changes and is in need of family support (we haven't all been together at the same time in almost a decade).

A little about my motivation
I am far remove from the current economic system (which has inherent systemic problems and is crashing BTW: for those interested Bernard Lietaer). I don't work a 9 to 5, have any sort of insurance, savings or retirement, credit debt, bills, etc. I make my living by teaching and selling skill toys at family festival, teaching workshops, retreats, DVD sales, and the occasional performance gig. I have been lucky enough to expand my scope to teaching all over the world. As such most of my expenses are in travel costs, which isn't exactly cheap.

I don't have the stomach for the daily grind in a dying socio-economic system, but I still need to play by some of those rules as humanity transitions to a new paradigm. So I've committed to focus my life on sharing what I love with people around the world, in part through payed workshops and the other various above stated income streams. This affords me the opportunity to networking with those who are visioning the new paradigm into reality. This is why I take the risk of doing what I do without the old paradigm financial safety net. It is exactly this willingness to dive in without a real "backup" that lead me to meet and collaborate world wide with Nick Woolsey and others.

I'm currently lining up gigs in the USA and looking at Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Singapor, Thailand, and Japan.

If things keep going good, then I will be able to afford said laptop even with additional personal costs... but it would be more useful to get it sooner than later, especially when it comes to creating more content, to share with the community. The next few videos I'd like to make (live with simulations) cover atomics and the material from Rev's Manifesto, which is no longer readily available since Spherculism is down.

Originally Posted By: SpannerWhat do you intend to do with the donations if you don't raise enough money?
As I've stated, I'll get the laptop one way or another, but the contributions will help smooth things over quite a bit. If by some turns of events I don't need the help at all, then I would ask the community what I should use it for, or more directly, I could refund everyone their money if needed. Between my Gmail labeling system, paypals records, and ChipIn!s records, I have redundant info on who contributed what.

At the heart of it, I posted this to make my situation known, not to harass anyone and everyone into giving me money. If someone feels they have benefited from my contributions to the community and is compelled to contribute to me, then here is the way I need it most right now. If you don't feel compelled then, don't worry about it, no guilt needed. That is how social filtering works.

Originally Posted By: SpannerCould you consider using an external light source (wind up camping lantern, etc.) or USB light to illuminate the keyboard and sacrifice battery life for investing in spares (which are a good idea if you're prone to technology dying on you anyway), as long as you could fulfill your other specifications?

I would consider it, as those sorts of features are in fact the icing on the cake so to speak. Although, my aim IS to streamline and cut down further on my physical possessions, as my life fits into 2 backpacks. That means space and weight are at a premium, and I like to reduce the clutter and lose-ability of extra gadgets whenever possible. I already have a LED camping head torch, but that sort of direct illumination on a laptop screen is a bit harsh.

The bigger picture is that with my old life as a PC guy comes unhealthy computer use patterns, spending too much time playing IT guy, when in fact that sort of thing is what was burning me out before I moved whole heartedly into teaching poi.

After growing up as a PC guy, I find the Mac OS a breath of fresh air, and would like to us it as my primary OS. I know this pricks some people where the age old MAC vs PC debate has made them sore. I used to argue heartily on the PC side of this debate, when I was younger and had more time to waste on ego-centered virtual patriotism for one OS or the other.

To be clear, I'm not dissing on MS Operating Systems. If it is the right choice for you personally, more power to you i say! Use what is right for you. At this point what is right for me is changing habits and using the Mac OS. To think that the same solution is right for everyone is a bit narrow minded.

It is technically illegal to install Mac OS on a PC laptop, and takes a bunch of time tinkering and hacking about, from what I've read on the subject. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. I'd rather spend that time make videos or booking my next teaching gig. On the other hand, It is easy to Virtual box or dual-boot a Windows OS on a Mac, which will enable me to run certain software that I want to use on the MS side of things.

Originally Posted By: Let me reiterate:Further more I find that most of the people I want to collaborate with are on the Mac platform, and although they are skilled at visual arts and cinema, they are not necessarily IT guys that want to trouble shoot computer issues. Or they run windows, and still don't want to be the IT guy. I don't want to be their IT guy either. Once upon a time long ago I used to be the IT guy, I've been trying to move away from that ever since, but I keep finding myself having to play IT guy on a Windows based platform. It takes up too much of my life. I want my computer to be my tool not my life (hence the unhealthy relationship comment).

Ultimately, I'd rather spend my time on poi and other artistic endeavors working more seamlessly with those who I want to collaborate with.

Ok, I hope I didn't miss anything, and I hope that helps clarify my situation a little more!

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mcpRichee has the camera, but as far as I can make out, has quit spinning.

Epic Fail.

Makes meg a sad panda.

BTW, did Richee ever send you any video, or am I fabricating memories?

Perhaps some poetry will cheer up the sad panda.

+Alien Jon

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
as for getting the data back - have a look at https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

its free and an awesome piece of software.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootas for getting the data back - have a look at https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

its free and an awesome piece of software.

Awesome, thanks for the link! I'm hoping that the drives weren't corrupted in any way, but if I need it, I'll try testdisk.

+Alien Jon

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AJOver the 3 years I had it, it was a bit of a lemon, as in I made use of the 2-year warranty maybe 4 times....

On each occasion I had to mail it in (...)

(...)

Others who where working the same Renaissance Festival circuit as myself with laptops of a similar nature (...) had absolutely no problems(...)

what's more tragic... the laptop finally failing on you or you failing to read the signs and make regular backups?

I'm in the same boat... laugh3 some stuff seems to last forever, other dies right after sensible data has been put on (priceless Tibetan and other movies)... I myself am guilty to have harbored the thought: should back up my contacts on hard-drive.... yaaaaa, whatever... and then got my cell picked....

life's lessons meditate - best of luck with data recovery

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Spanner... a simple please really wouldn't have gone amiss here.
Fare enough. I'll admit that I have a history of sometimes forgetting the importance of please, when I act hastily... and it has bitten me in the ass before! blush
As please is essentially an abbreviation of "if it pleases you", I agree it would have been a simple and effective way of conveying some of the points that I've elaborated on after the fact... So I think I'll edit it into the original post, as 1st impressions to new viewers will hopefully benefit.

Originally Posted By: Spanner... I feel that the onus should not be on them to simply decide whether to trust, but on the fundraiser to give as much information as possible in order for an informed choice to be made...
I know you've gone into more detail on Playpoi but as HoP plays a fairly major part in the poi world, it feels disrespectful (and actually quite spammy)...
The brevity of my HoP post was to avoid information overload. I figured that people who had even the slightest curiosity would probably click the playpoi link and find out more there. This is admittedly based on how I personally surf the Internet. I wasn't intending spammy-ness or disrespect, but actually trying to avoid spammy-ness by not posting a huge copy of what was linked over on playpoi. Perhaps I didn't think clearly about it.

At this point I think that most of the info needed to make an informed choice has come out in this conversation, so problem solved. In hind sight, having something like a More Info link on playpoi could be good. Perhaps I'll review the points made here and make a corresponding playpoi page.

Originally Posted By: Spanner- are going to end up asking for both a donation for the equipment and a payment for the result it produces.
This one perhaps hasn't yet been addressed:
As stated, I intend to make more freely available content to put up on YouTube among other places. Beyond that it is hard to draw lines, because this laptop will after all be what I use for the majority of my computing. So, in the future if I decided to make another DVD, or create payed online content, or whatever one might think to do to trade knowledge for money, then of course some people who contributed might later also pay for these things. If my freely available videos increase awareness and as a result attendance to workshops and sales of DVDs, then in a way this is indirectly setting up the same situation. Ultimately I will get the laptop sooner or later (because saying I won't be able is just sabotaging myself), and it will enable me to continue creating free and paid content into the future. So part of what people need to consider is if they are compelled to help expedite the process.

They also need to consider if the content they see from me is useful to them. On that note, I think I'll start a "[Old link]" thread where people can make suggestions, and help work out the best video presentation of the content I put together.

Originally Posted By: Spanner...(I note Nick also has a link on Playpoi asking for donations to send him to yoga school)...
I have to admit I probably influenced Nick with my actions. He has had a donate button under poiticipate for a wile, but it wasn't really targeting a specific goal he wanted to accomplish, nore explaining that specific goal. He was only seeing a few donations over the years.

When I had the idea to ask the community to help, I told him I think it could be successful and was worth trying because it was asking for help with a very specific cause, not "just because you like me". Then when I got excited by several donations shortly after I put up various posts, I think that probably motivated Nick to try a more focused approach as well.

+Alien Jon

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
When I first read this I thought..Oh yay, here's someone trying to live a lifestyle they can't really afford an going begging for a device that's really more than they need to do what he wants to do.

Then I read the bit about the "social contract" and changed my mind.

Good luck.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mcpRichee has the camera, but as far as I can make out, has quit spinning.

Epic Fail.

Makes meg a sad panda.

Non-Https Image Link

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Good luck Jon.

*written, of course, on a Mac*

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Update:
I landed a big corporate gig:
Teaching poi at the pilot run of a training program for new hires at a BIG privately held company.

As such I went ahead and bought a laptop (certified pre-owned Macbook Pro). It rocks!

Thank you to everybody who helped out in any way! I'm gearing up to start filming some videos. Keep up to date on it here:
[Old link]

+Alien Jon

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Corporate gigs are sometimes a useful evil wink

Glad to hear you got it all sorted though! grin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers Jon

Does this mean you're going to be spinning in a suit and tie?

KubefuismBRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear it was resolved...
And on that note, if anyone would like to help me pay my gas bill that be great... Just paypal whatever you can...
HAHAHA! Sorry, just had to throw a little salt in the wound...

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoutCheers Jon

Does this mean you're going to be spinning in a suit and tie?

LOL, Actually, we wore matching Adidas track suits!

+Alien Jon