Forums > Other Toys > Anyone aerialists here?

Login/Join to Participate

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
I swear to God there was an HoP Aerialists thread, but after spending an hour looking for it with no luck, I've decided I had to be imagining things. If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction, thank you.

Any aerialists here? Amateurs or professionals? Trapeze, lyra, silk, tightrope, straps, etc?

I've been wanting to learn silk for so long, but I can't find the place to buy the silk for performing. This goes for metal hoops for lyra too. But I have done some trapeze, and love it. Just need to build more muscle to really continue.

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

happyinmotionSILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Yup. Mainly tissu right now, training with this lot:
Wellington Circus Trust

burningbreezeSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
One Right here

This thread would be a great place to post new tricks for any of the aerial arts. there arn't too many forums out there for this kind of thing, were a pretty small crowd.

If your looking for a place to buy silks, there are plenty in the States, but you would pay an arm and a leg for shipping. something you can get fairly cheaply at a fabric store is 40 denier trico (sp?) that is what my first set was made of, I purchased it from a fabric dealer, it doesent have much in the way of strech, making it very easy for beginners to climb, but bad for when you want to start on bigger drops (no strech = lots of bruses)
I just upgraded to a strech set, and they are hard on the arms to climb, you need almost twice the strength to get up, and they are much more expensive than the no strech.

there are sites on the net that have video tutorials for silks, most of them are for beginners to intermediat, but they provide a good foundation for some of the larger drops.
if you want a listing of the sites let me know and I will send you the links.

hope this helps.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I'm signed up to a one day workshop in November. It's hardly going to make me an aeralist, but I'm really excited to have a go. Once I get my strength up more with the pole dancing (gymnastic/acrobatic type of pole dancing involving no stripping tongue) then I'm hopefully going to start a more regular class.

If anyone knows of anything of this kind available in the Manchester or surrounding area, then please could you let me know by the way. biggrin

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Oooo you do pole dancing, i do pole dancing.
I started doing it with the same rational as you, No where to do arials. Gee wizz it is a good upper body work out and it is so much fun spinning round and round.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
I've had some exposure to aerials. I pretty hooked on tissu at the moment, but I'm not terribly good at anything (strength does not equal grace or finesse).
But signing up aerial classes soon with this Circa. Wheee! ubbrollsmile

burningbreezeSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Anyone here know where to find good tissu videos? you tube is the obvious one, and google video (which mostly links you back to youtube)I've gone through most of what I could find using convention methods, but Video sights that arn't in english are hard to find on yahoo or Google, if someone would be so kind to direct me it would be appreciated.

Thanks

BlueHairSarahnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I've been doing silks on and off for a year now - I'm now taking a class once a week at a circus school nearby.

Miguel_Guerrerostranger
5 posts

Posted:
I just saw an amazing show and I am now determined to learn aerial silk.

It looks like so much creative energy and fun.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
There's a circus/acrobatics school in chicago. I may go there one day and get me some learnin on silks hoops and some pro-training on contortion.

Miguel_Guerrerostranger
5 posts

Posted:
okay, after much digging there is are actually several locations out in So Cal which I may want to try.

I'm going to video document my training from beginning to intermediate level, and hopefully learn to fly with grace.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
that'd be really cool to have visual history of someone's progress.

Miguel_Guerrerostranger
5 posts

Posted:
Okay, after much celebrating and getting rid of the holiday food weight, I am starting in earnest. I will post a link shortly to my facebook page where I will (hopefully) keep posting my progress. Today: Trip to the gym and to the store to purchase hanging ropes and look at potential silk.

Peace out, and I hope everyone had a happy new year!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
So how's everybody doing with their aerial skills? I started a few weeks ago and it's really fun but ohhhhh so painful!!!!

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
what do you practise?

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Yeah! Tissue and I've done it while spinning poi too. Why do you ask?

Lindalindastranger
19 posts

Posted:
why not ? grin curiosity perhaps
so how does it work to spinn poi in the tissue?
I had a teacher who tried to make me do hoola hoops in my aerial hoop, it kind of worked but I think it looked messy..

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
well, I don't know how to climb with out my hands yet so what I do is hang the poi around my neck until i reach altitude then secure myself in some position and start swinging.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I've always wanted to try some aerial stuff, but have never had the opportunity. Looks crazy fun.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
just the thread I was looking for

so I've become part time model and i've got a photographer friend who has done shibari type stuff/suspensions and has shot a few aerialists.
I did a more corde lisse thing a number of years ago

any advice on some basic positions/moves that would photograph well

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not able to help you, but anyone looking for something different, silks are a lot of fun. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I experimented on a small scale and figured out some basic locks. found the wiki site and it has some tutorials. I guess I'll start from there

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed