Forums > Social Chat > "This could be Heaven, right here on earth"

Login/Join to Participate

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
I was speaking to a friend recently about her opinion of life, and the possibility of an after-life. I myself am non-religious, yet I’ve always tried to remain open minded to any and all possibilities. She just flat out didn't believe. She did make - what seemed at the time - to be a good point though: "Doesn't it seem even slightly absurd to you that something with a beginning, could not have an ending?". "What were you before you were born?" she asked.. "Isn't this exactly what you'll be after you die?"

I naturally assumed that before I was born I was nothing. I can't remember anything from it, so therefore I couldn't have possibly existed. I was convinced that I was nothing then, and therefore I’ll be nothing after I die - but I was wrong. Before being born, I was simply energy existing in some form other than human. I was part of the universe, but not as a sentient being. I was my parents and their parents before them, I was the food they ate, and I was the air they breathed. Until one day I became an intelligent (open to debate ) and sentient form of energy - a human being.

So after we die, we again change into some other energy state. It may well be that all we are is our physical selves, and the remaining energy in our body is merely sucked out and fed to the surrounding environment - ie. animals and trees. Or, maybe we really are more than our physical selves, and that non-physical part of us continues on as some other unknown form of energy ("apparently" scientists are currently unable to account for all the energy in the universe - which is known to exist, but unknown as to where or in what form).

In any case, what we change into is possibly not that important anyway.. what is important (in my eyes at least), is what we take with us during this transformation. We certainly can't take our bodies, but maybe we can take our experiences, and our memories, and who we have become - for these are not material objects, and yet we still 'have' them.

All you will be is who you have become,
all you will have is what you have experienced,
all you will know is what you have learned.

Every day we manipulate the present in order to create the future. This is no different. During our time as humans, we are simply creating our future as non-humans. Every day we are creating our heaven or hell - whatever you want to call it I believe it is the same thing. In the end it's only perceptual anyway. Nothing is intrinsically "good" or "bad". What is good for you is good for you, you're the one who lives (and eventually dies) with it.

If you had to sit for eternity in a dark room, with only the memories of your life as comfort, would you be in heaven or hell. Ultimately it's our own choice.

=========

I originally wrote the above about a year ago, but never posted it - anywhere. It followed what I guess you could call a near death experience - but to be honest I don't know what it was. Maybe it was a dream, maybe something else, who knows. All I know is I woke up one night and believed with all my heart that I was dead - and if you believe something without any doubts at all, then it produces exactly the same response in your mind as it would if it were really happening (a bit like a dream I guess). In any case, mine was a "hellish" experience, and it really really disturbed me. It did, however make me take a very long hard look at my life, my beliefs, and my attitudes, and I think ultimately resulted in a positive change.

So that above is merely my personal opinion. What do you guys think? What do you believe?

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
i certainly think that it's up to us to create heaven on earth. some people already live in hell on earth.
the reason why we don't remember what we were before this incarnation is that we couldn't deal.

i sometimes think that the apple was really psychelics - so careful where you go...
cause it could crack something and way too much information floating your way which inhibits us in these reality dealings.
intersting subject.

Why?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
heya falloutskis!

the physics principle that matter cannot be destroyed or created - nicely backs up your transmutation idea.

(except for when optimus prime transforms from a huge 18-wheeler to a much smaller autobot - WTF!?!??!)

thanks for sharing your insight - you are definitely not alone on that one!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
he's not that much smaller. Remember the majority of the bulk on an 18 wheeer is hollow. His trailer doesn't participate in the transformation either.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
That to me looks alot like an epiphany. If it is then the vast majority of that will be right as you are in link with the universe. You can loose some from translating universal knowledge personal knowledge. And keep in mind that there are many right answers. They kinda build a pyramid of knowledge, strengthening and refining one another. The more truths you know, the more truths you then have access to discover.

As to what you wrote, that seems to be the concensus on how things work. Check with the religions if you like. Some are almost bang-on, some not so close, but they all will agree on at least one part of that.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
Epiphany!

Why?

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
someone needs to watch "What Dreams May Come"...

Magnus... pay it forward

hollymember
61 posts

Posted:
the concept of afterlife/rebirth is one of the core beliefs of buddism. u probably know this but i suggest if u are still left a little confused read up on buddism...it is mindblowing. it just all makes sense...well it has for me so far. very interesting subject. thats why they strongly believe in the benefits of meditation..because you are training and purifying your mind to in the end reach ultimate happiness when you dont suffer anymore, ever(enlightenment). what would be the point to working towards ultimate happiness all your life to then die and waste all that effort? well your mind lives on. hmm i wish i was a buddha or a monk or something..they explain things very well.

Never doubt that a small group of crusties, activists, and politicos can change the world... in fact, it's the only thing that ever does ;-)

6,978 posts

Posted:
the buddhist dharma that would apply the most to this discussion on 'conservation of matter (..and souls?)' is that that of impermanece:
'that all things created are impermanent.'
this unfortunately threw me, until it was explained that it implies that our souls aren't created - they've always been, and are of the few things in this universe that is permanent - I'm dying to find out.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies (Oh yeah, that rhymes!).
Kind of funny you mention buddhism.. i found myself reading up on it today! - Go here for a great discussion on the 4 Noble Truths, and The Eightfold Path. very interesting.

Bender, i think your pun gland might be broken again.

6,978 posts

Posted:
you rawk!
good luck on exams man!

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i have believe that for about two or three years now but you have explained it better than i ever could (not being good with words and all)neway, other than buddism you might wanna check out spiritualisum,my aunt is a spiritualist and medium and was the first to introduce me to it.and although i don't ness. agree with everything i have taken elements of it to better myself as a person.this is the best site i could find that explains it the best, so why not take a look spiritualism, what its all about

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Work like you don't need money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobodys watching
Live like its heaven on earth

Many thanks falloutboy who is always full of thoughts and feelinsg to share.... more meaningful posts per person than almost anyone else on this site, leastaways since i've beeen here!

much love and luck on you, falloutboy

Kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Geepers - thanks Kyri!! And thanks for the good-will bender, and for the link Narr - interesting reading. I certainly do agree with lots of the ideas on that site.

Never underestimate the value of a sincere compliment - certainly appreciated!

Be well all in Hop land!