Forums > Social Chat > Poi in Koh Phangan, Thailand?

Login/Join to Participate

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if there are other people out there who've been to the island of Koh Phangan, since that's where I fell in love with the art of poi a few months back...

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Ahhh.. i bought my first firestick in Koh Phagan -lit up the next night, burnt the crap out of my arm, and haven't been able to stop since!

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Sounds familier. Singed my hair lots of times trying to poi in front of the clubs in Haad Rin. I've improved a lot since then! First time I saw poi and staff twirling was at a Full Moon Party. Fantastic place Koh Phangan!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I do believe Cassandra has been there, hehe I have been in Kurat and Bangkok but other than that I aint been anywhere in Thailand

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Koh Phangan has the amazing combination of psy-trance clubs along the beach front and people twirling fire poi and fire sticks right in front of them. Don't know where else you get that. And the monthly Full Moon Party is amazing!

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
hmmm, sounds like a scene out of that movie "the beach" with that leonardo dicaprio fella in it. i saw firetwirling there!! i did i did!

Fire... A bushmans telly

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Did some twirling there myself and met some lovely Israeli spinners (and British!) not that many spinners when I was there though, nowadays I see poi everywhere when I am at festivals.

Was not impressed by the Full Moon Party though. The beach was thrashed, some ass stole my practice poi from me and the atmosphere just was not as nice as other nights there. Or maybe I am just getting old and sensible

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
'The Beach' was filmed in Koh Phiphi I think, though it's supposed to be based around the Koh Phangan area. It did have a few very short poi scenes!

I've heard that the Full Moon Parties were much better some years back. More E and mushrooms and less alcohol.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Sad that people who are pissed behave so much worse than people who have taken E or mushies There were a lot of Clubbers who tottered off the boat for the full moon and proceeded to get as wasted as possible on buckets of tequila and red bull.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
koh phangan ... haven´t been there ... i stayed a few days at the neighbouring island ... from there i saw the full-mooners arriving in koh phangan ... to me the parties seem crowded ... but this don´t mean a thing ...
i saw thw first poier in koh chiang ... SUPER !!!

but i am sure there must be a nice little dark area to do (and enjoy !!) poi at koh phangan too !

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
There are lots of uncrowded places in Koh Phangan. Actually most of KP is uncrowded, it's just Haad Rin, the party centre, that's crowded, but even that has a very special feel.

If you take a short boat ride from Haad Rin you can stay in huts that have no road access. Supposed to be great if you want to chill out completely!

charliefoxnewbie
1 post

Posted:
hi, erm from all you people who have been to koh phangan, did you visit the drop in bar at haad rin? only we went justover a month ago (the first time i span fire!) and i wondered if anyone has pictures of the guys who work there as its one of the main regrets i have, not taking a photo cos they were so nice to me!