squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
So, I've been asking this question on a few other forums to try and gain some perspective on a fire meteor build. While I am not trying to slam HoP's own design, I have to start by saying: that is NOT what I want.

My design idea was a thin 1/4 inch (~6.35mm) Kevlar rope attached to 6 inches (~152mm) of chain and a heavy wick on the ends.

the rope would have permanent loops on the ends made from cable/rope thimbles and secured with a combination of crimping sleeves and a rear knot to prevent the sleeves from sliding. The entire meteor would be about 6 feet (2meters) from end to end. Think of it like a miniature trick rope, like what rodeo shows might use.

My question to HoP members is regarding the rope thickness and material:
I have heard that Kevlar is rough and quick wearing in this kind of purpose and I would be better off using cotton. I have also heard a few people mention concern over the thin size I am considering.

If you have any experience in meteor, what material and size do you use for the tether?

thanks in advance for the help
squid

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I use HoP's fire meteor (the first one), and while I haven't posted up a review yet, I find it quite good to work with - albeit 10x scarier than my Monkey Fists.

I'm not trying to advertise it to you though squid, I'm explaining this to give myself a bit of background. The kevlar rope that it uses for its mid-section is quite soft, so I don't have to worry about rope burns on my hands when I play with it.

In concern to the thickness of the rope, I would suggest using something thicker. I find that using a thin rope makes my fingers uncomfortable because each of my knuckles is being bent almost to their limit.

Hope that helps!

Kupo!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
It does indeed, and thanks for the reply. I've waivered on the kevlar vs cotton rope, so I have been very curious to hear from people that have actually used HoP's meteor. I have total faith in HoP's quality, but I have a personal preference for thin ropes and less metal hardware.

Thin ropes, I have found, have less weight, making the weight from the wicks more significant and easier to spin because it keeps the inertia of the meteor at the ends and I dont have to use as much force to keep the whole thing taut.

They do take a bit of getting used to though, and if you are accustomed to thicker ropes (or staves), it can be a bit uncomfortable. But I compare it to how you hold a straight staff vs a Buugeng. What works for the former is highly uncomfortable for the latter.

But I definitely value experienced advice and everyone is advocating 3/8th to 1/2 inch.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

RuckusSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I just recently started spinning meteor myself, so I'm definitely no expert, but this is what is currently working for me: My practice meteor is approximately 5' long, and is made from 1/4" nylon cord, with rubber playballs on the end (attached via 3" eyehooks, laced with epoxy first). I have a small swivel-clasp running from the rope to the eyehook. My design for my fire meteor is similar. I'm using the poly-nylon cord for the mid-section (It's not inflammable, but it's fire resistant, and will melt before it actually catches). It really doesn't catch much heat, so it seems to be o.k. From there, it's a backhand hitch knot to the chain (about 10"). I'm using 15lb test hobby chain at the moment, but may switch to ball chain soon. I've got regular cathedral poi heads on the ends (threaded them myself, so I know they're good). Might add a fishing line weight just to balance it out, but it seems good for the time being.