Forums > Social Discussion > Vipassana Meditation Courses

Login/Join to Participate

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Has anyone here completed a Vipassana meditation course?

I'm heading to Nepal for a month next year and was hoping to take part in some intensive mediation exercises. After a lot of research its looking as though a Vipassana course is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the courses are 10 days long and if I stick to my plan of trekking the Annapurna circuit (21 days approx) I'll not have the time before I have to fly home.

So I could:
a) Stick to my plan of the full Annapurna circuit (which I've been set on for years) and take a 3-6 day yoga course;
b) Do a shorter trek such as the Annapurna basin and take the Vipassana course.

For anyone who has completed this course:
- Was it as beneficial for you as you expected when you began?
- Did you find the setting was important? I could do the course in the UK, but feel that being in the Himalayas would really be a benefit?
- What would you recommend?

Its a pity I can't take more time, but I'm already taking pretty much all of my holiday quota for next year in one go...

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I haven't done the medication course or the Annapurna, but I know a few people who have and found both amazing. My opinion is you should do the full 21 day circuit, not the meditation course. For many walking outdoors is almost 'moving meditation' and the environment there is meant to be breath taking.

Written by

I could do the course in the UK, but feel that being in the Himalayas would really be a benefit?

You'll have to ask yourself if you can really justify the location. After all it's meditation and theoretically can be practised equally anywhere. But how often do you spend a month in Nepal? A month seems a long time but will pass very quickly once you're there, even quicker if you're spending 10 days locked away.

Some people say you should go away to find yourself and yoga and meditation helps. I say go to Nepal to find Nepal, and find yourself wherever you happen to be at the time. Personally I uncovered the wonder of the universe on the London Underground. smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i did a 10 Vipassana course just before last xmas, having only done one course i cant really comment on the importance of the setting other than to say that you dont really get very much time taking in the view, the duration of the 10 days is mainly spent alone within yourself.

I didnt do any research before doing the course, a friend told me about it so i just signed up thinking it would be 10 days of blissing out at the beach (its really not), i have tried alot of other meditation techniques before but i dont think that any of the other types i had tried where really meditation, more just relaxation techniques. I got alot out of completing the 10 days and would highly recommend it.

It sounds like you really want to do the walk, i dont think you will get that much more out of doing the vipassana over there .... besides the 10 day course is just the introduction, once you have worked your way up to doing the 3 month course you will probably want to go over there for it smile
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1215630873)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Having both trekked in Nepal and done Vipassana, I agree with those who say trek in Nepal, and meditate anywhere. It doesn't matter where you do the Vipassana; You will still find out lots about your own personal forms of suffering. (that's not being negative.. it's basic Buddhism) The skill of the course leaders would be more important.
Vipassana is not a traditional Nepalese thing so you won't be missing out on a 'doing it where it comes from' vibe.

Trekking is something best done at your own pace, no rush. So give yourself as much time as possible.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Nice one guys, I'll most likely be taking that advice.

Means waiting until 2010 to do my vipassana though frown Stupid full time jobs!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!