Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
First snow was last night.

Well, for loose definitions of "snow," anyway.

I remember when I was a little kid (<10yo) growing up on a lake in Southeastern Michigan. Come this time of year we would get a big dumping of at least a foot or two. And then it would stick. The lake would freeze over and my dad would shovel off a skating rink and we'd go cross-country skiing on the lake. The entire world would turn into a winter wonderland draped in a thick sheet of white. We'd go sledding and ice fishing. It was great.

Today, climate change has hit. Southeastern Michigan gets snow maybe 5 times in a winter. It never lasts more than a few days. The lake never freezes anymore, and on the rare occasion it does, you'd be out of your rocker to try walking on it.

Still, a little kid in me wakes up and jumps for joy when it snows. Even if it's an inch. Now excuse me, I'm going out to try to play in it. smile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Well, it looks like we are just under a foot this morning and more snow for the weekend.

Just me shoveling. Bfs no help. Just need it to soften up because it iced over before I had a chance to get to it

Thankfully, tonight we have plans and the streets should be okay..bf's birthday-Pearl Harbor day too

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Pele? We do not advertise upstate New York as having "huge ski mountains" to a woman who lives in British Columbia. That would be considered "false advertising."

ubblol
lmao

Actually I live in Alberta, but same difference!

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*throws on a thick Southern Accent*

Canada's Canada, dammit! All those canucks same damn thing!

Somehow I got it in my head you two lived in Vancouver.

-Mike

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Nope, that'd be Calgary (near Banff)
smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

3,556 posts

Posted:
yeah, the snow is melting a little. I can get out of my driveweay!!!!

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it snowed a bit this weekend when we were camping. not much but its snow in AZ what you expect?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

3,556 posts

Posted:
I get to go home because of the icky weather. Pretty, and deadly snow storm

Faith

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Blah its raining here when it should be snowing frown

Hey you northern states send PA your snow!

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
it was 20 degrees celcius and sunny all day today smile

as if you would want snow over christmas new years, you want to be out partying!

biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Oh no I want snow LOL

I need to go sledding in my kayak!

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

3,556 posts

Posted:
I got stuck trying to get in my driveway. A nice guy stopped and got me out and then the nice neighbors helped shovel part of my driveway so I could get the car off the street. I have a really long driveway. It sucks

Faith

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
Faith where in Wisconsin are you?

3,556 posts

Posted:
Milwaukee

Faith

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Awww, so jealous of you guys. Never seen snow around Christmas time down here!

Kupo!

3,556 posts

Posted:
We don't normally either. Usually brown and wet and no snow smile

Faith

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

Milwaukee

Nice place, I liked it when I went there last october..... Ever hear of Mad Planet?

3,556 posts

Posted:
yup when I was younger I went there a lot

If you like Mad, you'd probably like club anything too

(you didn't have to deal with snow last october bounce )

Faith

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
No, I didnt I was lucky LOL.... I dont know of any other clubs except mad planet and that was because of was taking pics of The Tossers. It was a fun vacation smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We got hit with another storm yesterday. I couldn't get in the driveway either fif. I had gone into work really early and went to leave...my car was buried and I had to borrow a broom to sweep it off because my snow brush was too wimpy. Slid my way home and couldn't get in the drive. Had a hella laugh watching some chic in a sports car have to back down the hill (we live at the bottom of a slopey hill) and gun it trying to get to the top of it. She did it 4x before she made it, and it was like neighborhood entertainment. We were all out there with mugs of hot stuff watching and laughing. She should concider snow tires, truly. ubblol

It was one of those big, heavy, wet snows from a lake effect band.

Today they cleaned up from it. Tomorrow is to be sunny (and OMg cold!!! (18F or about -8C, not including the wind chill which is beyond bitter) Which is actually the calm before the storm. A Noreaster is heading our way and we are in line to get 2ft of snow on us Sunday with full on blizzard conditions.

This will average us to having a literally snow storm a week for the past month, including travel bans and severe storm advisories.

This is the winter I remembered having as a kid and I love it!

I went out and stocked up on supplies for the house, especially candles and hot chocolate biggrin. Tonight I have to refill the water jugs with fresh water and charge the rechargable batteries for the flashlights. I also need to get out the extra blankets come to think of it. I found the handheld can opener. I went down my winter driving checklist this past weekend, knowing we're to get slammed (in my car: blanket, candle, lighter, water, flashlight, extra clothes, *old* boots, kitty litter, defrost liquid in addition to the staples of jumper cable and first aid kit).

Now I hope Santa thinks I am a good enough girl to gift me with new snowshoes smile

I love this time of year, as long as I'm prepared!

Oh and one of the best things about this weather around the holidays...plenty of refridgerator space for all those left-overs biggrin
EDITED_BY: Pele (1197668391)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

3,556 posts

Posted:
We got hit this Saturday. Over six inches. It didn't look that deep.

The downstairs neighbor guy got stuck and finally got a plowguy and offer to do my drive (yay, chivarly isn't dead). But on the way out of my drive, I got stuck in streetplow snow. So the plowguy pulled me out and then while I was parking the car, the dog tried to make friends with the plow. Neighbor grabbed him. So lots snow, eighteen inches more than we normally do.

(And the family Christmas might get delayed because we are supposed to get hit by snow and rain on Sat)

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We got about two inches here.

...of ice. Not snow. It looks deceptively like snow. Then you step on it and fall on your arse. ubblol

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We got 18 inches Sunday. We were shovelling every couple of hours and the city was shut down on Monday for a snow day while we unburied ourselves.

The snow is just over my knees in the areas where the wind blew. Where it didn't and where we shovelled it to it's piled up almost as tall as me.

I have photos that I will see if I can get into my gallery.*

*edit: got them in**

after the storm pics here

Winter doesn't even officially start until Saturday!!!! biggrin
EDITED_BY: Pele (1198116036)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

3,556 posts

Posted:
It looks like we will get a small reprieve on Saturday. Rain, not snow. And then some rain and snow on Sunday.

Which is nice because I'm still sore from shoveling

Faith

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

is de-icer called hot water in some places?

Wouldn't pouring hot water on to frozen windscreens causes them to crack under thermo-expansion stress?

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yikes, well I'm getting my taste of what a real Canadian winter is all about.

Sunday morning temps were pretty normal for this time of year- about -10c with some light snow, and a bit windy.
We went to the farmers market for lunch, and the snow turned to blizzards whilst we were there. Temperatures dropped so quickly in the afternoon and evening that the computer couldn't keep up.
By the night time a few inches of snow had fallen, and temps had hit -33c, with the wind taking it down to -42c.

We had a friend visiting us for the weekend. He's lived all his life in Texas, and couldn't at all comprehend what these kind of temperatures are like. (As we all huddled round the heater, watching the numbers drop on the computer).
So, I agreed to take him out on the balcony so he could experience the mind numbing coldness, and laugh at him as he discovers the weird experience that is the inside of your nose freezing together.
Well, after we managed to defrost the doors enough to get outside!

The next morning temps had continued to steadily drop, and they bottomed out at around -42c with the wind taking it down to -49c.
Officially the coldest weather I've ever been in.
I had to go out to the store to get some milk. It's only half a block away. I called at the car to get something on my way back home, and by the time I'd got back to my apartment, the milk had started to freeze.

Luckily it's starting to warm up today. Temps have just tipped above -30c, with the windchill making it -42c. Unfortunately though Calgary doesn't plow it's roads, so our lack of winter tires means we'll probably miss spinning practice tonight, as they're all compressed snow frozen solid.

Anyone want to take me in and make me warm?!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I just looked out the window and.. IT'S SNOWING!!!

No wonder I'm so cold..

Doubt it's gonna stick anyway.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

3,556 posts

Posted:
so far we have about six inches...and the dog decided to run off and play in the snow

Chased him down but not until he found the one person afraid of dogs in our neighborhood

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:
eight to twelve inches by tomorrow morning. I like snow but this is going to be heavy stuff and a real pain to shovel...It loooks so pretty though

Faith

Page: